(Topic ID: 169990)

Fixing Sunken/Cupped inserts -Fingernail Polish?

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Currently trying to correct a few inserts. They are not so much sunken into the playfield, as much as they are just cupped or concaved. I have heard of using clear fingernail polish to correct this, but now I can't seem to find anything about it. Is this a good solution? I know its not the BEST solution, but will this work without damaging anything? I just don't want to mess with mixing and spraying clear if it is only a few inserts. Plus I have no experience with clear coat.

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I have heard of using clear fingernail polish to correct this, but now I can't seem to find anything about it. Is this a good solution?

Worst idea ever.

Do NOT do this.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/17#post-1717646

#3 7 years ago

Is there a good (simple/quick) solution other than mixing and spraying clear? Thanks, Vid!

#4 7 years ago

Don't spray it, just drip it from an eyedropper

#5 7 years ago

Do you do this right before spraying on the rest of the clear?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't spray it, just drip it from an eyedropper

Well that sounds easier and less stressful than spraying. Any recommendation on the clear? Is that something that can be picked up locally?

#7 7 years ago

PPG JC660 (or it's plain labeled cousin "Omni 161" )

Available at 3700 locations nationwide.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Do you do this right before spraying on the rest of the clear?

I usually re-paint the black keyline around the insert, then level the insert, then shoot the entire playfield (if needed).

#9 7 years ago

Anyone have some photos of an insert post leveling?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Worst idea ever.

Is it? Or is dripping clear inside my 950sq ft condo that my family lives in worse?

(Not supporting the nail polish to level inserts, just pointing out that the BEST solution isn't always the one that's available to us.)

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Is it? Or is dripping clear inside my 950sq ft condo that my family lives in worse?
    (Not supporting the nail polish to level inserts, just pointing out that the BEST solution isn't always the one that's available to us.)

Yes, this is the situation I am in as well. Really wish there was a simpler solution than mixing clear.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Yes, this is the situation I am in as well. Really wish there was a simpler solution than mixing clear.

Yep. I picked up this Magnotron that needs inserts leveled and not real sure what I can do living in this tiny hole with no garage aside from sending it out for clear. And who does that for a 150 buck ga....oh wait... no...that's me. (Crescendo. Sigh.)

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'd go with the clear unless you want to ruin your playfield.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

I'd go with the clear unless you want to ruin your playfield.

See the second part of what I said. kthx.

#15 7 years ago

I use superthin superglue. Works great.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I use superthin superglue. Works great.

Seriously?

#17 7 years ago

Even if 2PAC were completely harmless... or a suitable nontoxic substitute existed... wouldn't just filling in cupped inserts alone - without a topcoat over the entire pf - cause other (potentially worse) deflection issues?

You can only fill in a depression so much, and filler material can only self-level so much, until the filler reaches the edges of the depression and begins to bubble or mound under its own surface tension. So basically you transform a divot into a bump. And not only a bump, but one with edges that are susceptible to impacts and strikes and further wear.

This is why you have to sand smooth and recoat the entire surrounding area.

Which sucks, because I wish there were a simple, non-toxic filler method available. Sometimes I like the soft patina and wear on an original pf, and the game doesn't seem to otherwise need a full teardown, but cupped inserts suck!

#18 7 years ago

You can do something the cheap easy way and have it look decent upon completion and then have it be totally trashed within a few weeks/months, or take a little more time and effort and do it the right way and have it fixed for years to come.

Even in Vid's guide he previously linked, he mentions people trying to cut corners to do it the easy way. But in reality, mixing two things together at a 2 ratio is not that hard or time consuming but is the best way to do it.

I have looked into fixing my cupped inserts as well and found Vid's advice to be the most sound. Either that, or buy all new inserts.

#19 7 years ago

Yes, seriously. Super thin Cyanoacrylate (super glue) dripped in, dried, a few coats. Works great.

It's actually the only thing I use super glue for. Everything else gets Amazing Goop which works a million times better for bonding things.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Don't clear in the space you live in. Not even in the garage. Well ventilated area with sealed goggles and respirator.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Don't clear in the space you live in. Not even in the garage. Well ventilated area with sealed goggles and respirator.

This is the problem, I just don't have that available to me. Much like Frax said.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, seriously. Super thin Cyanoacrylate (super glue) dripped in, dried, a few coats. Works great.
    It's actually the only thing I use super glue for. Everything else gets Amazing Goop which works a million times better for bonding things.

This is interesting to me, but I don't want Vid to yell at me.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

This is the problem, I just don't have that available to me. Much like Frax said.

This is interesting to me, but I don't want Vid to yell at me.

It works, it's fast, and it's cheap, and it doesn't involve clearcoating your entire playfield, or even removing it. Just prop it up with something and make sure it's level. I'd highly recommend this method. Just give it some time to dry in between coats and you will be just fine.

#23 7 years ago

2PAC is not hard to do, you can buy little quart cans of it, it won't shrink like other coatings, and because dripping it out of an eyedropper does not produce an aerosol mist - you can safely drip it with the garage door open for ventilation.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

2PAC is not hard to do, you can buy little quart cans of it, it won't shrink like other coatings, and because dripping it out of an eyedropper does not produce an aerosol mist - you can safely drip it with the garage door open for ventilation.

2PAC is a different product that this:

Quoted from vid1900:

PPG JC660 (or it's plain labeled cousin "Omni 161" )

Correct?

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

2PAC is a different product that this:

Correct?

JC660 is one of hundreds of formulas of 2 Part Auto Clear

#26 7 years ago

why not just pop them out, sand them flat, get a new decal and reinstall? Or you could get one of those playfield protectors that cover the entire PF

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

why not just pop them out, sand them flat

They are already too thin, that's why they cupped in the first place.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/17#post-1717646

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

JC660 is one of hundreds of formulas of 2 Part Auto Clear

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It works, it's fast, and it's cheap, and it doesn't involve clearcoating your entire playfield, or even removing it. Just prop it up with something and make sure it's level. I'd highly recommend this method. Just give it some time to dry in between coats and you will be just fine.

You got a link or a picture of the exact product?

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I know that, but thanks for the warning anyways. That was kind of my point. Even if working with clear in these small amounts is "easy" it's extremely hazardous and not something that should be done flippantly without the proper space and equipment.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How about outside in a carport next to a creek? lol.. Just worried about dust and stuff and set up time. It's windy as farg in that carport half the time!

Good to know though. Maybe I can borrow a garage. (LOL, storage unit? -_-)

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

How about outside in a carport next to a creek? lol.. Just worried about dust and stuff and set up time. It's windy as farg in that carport half the time!

It's been raining here so randomly recently that I'm not 100% sure when I'm going to put down the last coat of clear that will go under my overlay. I have to drip in some clear first though, so maybe that will happen soon. I take my rig outside to clear, and then it sits in a workshop with exhaust fans going until the fumes are gone.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

If you can make a little wind break with clear plastic, or old scratched playfield glass, you'd probably be ok in the carport.

#34 7 years ago

Is there a compatibility issue with the nail polish and clearcoat? When reassembling a new playfield I had to back out a ball guide's threaded stud. Despite my best effort, the threads grabbed and chipped the clear and paint. It's under a ramp and completely invisible and it's not possible for the ball to contact the playfield there. Without giving it much thought, I grabbed my kids nail polish and applied a light dab (literally 1/8" x 1/4") in an attempt to seal the crack/chip and prevent its spread.

Did I make my problem worse or is this a nonissue in my case? Vid's quote scares me.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Is there a compatibility issue with the nail polish and clearcoat? When reassembling a new playfield I had to back out a ball guide's threaded stud. Despite my best effort, the threads grabbed and chipped the clear and paint. It's under a ramp and completely invisible and it's not possible for the ball to contact the playfield there. Without giving it much thought, I grabbed my kids nail polish and applied a light dab (literally 1/8" x 1/4") in an attempt to seal the crack/chip and prevent its spread.
    Did I make my problem worse or is this a nonissue in my case? Vid's quote scares me.

it will be ok, its not a wear spot

#36 7 years ago

or just buy one of those tricky new playfield protectors

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Is there a compatibility issue with the nail polish and clearcoat?

Lacquer nail polish is OK, but all those other strange chemical nail polish concoctions go in the WTF pile.

Everytime somebody shows me a playfield problem where something is lifting away, turning yellow, turning cloudy or is completely ruined, it's always because some prior owner tried to **fix** the game with anything they had laying around the house or garage.....

#38 7 years ago

Going to throw this one into the mix. Although not a permanent repair. I have seen adhesive mylar discs placed into the cupped inserts. A small one in the center with progressively larger discs on top of the smaller one. Filling the cupping. May not be a perfectly smooth finish, but it does help, and is not permanent.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

You got a link or a picture of the exact product?

I'd like to see it as well.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-sunkencupped-inserts-fingernail-polish and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.