Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Spudgunman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

grip.jpg
    wood-filler-de-11728882.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Hi was wondering a good way to fix wooden stripped screw holes on the bottom side of the play field? I've stuck tooth picks in the holes and broken them off flush in the past but was looking for other suggestions. Wood putty? Bigger screws? Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Chopstick is good for holes larger than toothpick.

#3 10 years ago

I've just used wooden tooth picks with a dab of wood glue too. I suppose moving a larger diameter wood screw would be the next step. If it is for a lamp holder then you could always relocate it, but that wouldn't work for everything of course. Interested to see what the best way really is.

#4 10 years ago

I have seen people use wood glue and golf tees (depending on hole size) Chopsticks can also work nicely...

#5 10 years ago

Shish kabob sticks work well. Bigger than tooth picks and firmer wood.

#6 10 years ago

My wife has some bamboo skewers for the grill. I stole a couple and just cut them to lenght, put a little drop of wood glue in first, then push it down in the stripped hole.Just about perfect diamiter and the screw tightens up real well.
    Edit- beat me to it, at work and had to answer the phone

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas/tips guys! Think I'll try the kabob and glue trick. I'll let u know how it turns out....

#8 10 years ago

My method:
    1-Dab of white or yellow wood glue on bamboo skewer (though you don't need the glue at all, but it will be good if you think you will be taking things apart later and don't want to have the skewer fall out)
    2-Put skewer into hole and snap skewer to side but don't break it free.
    3-Start the screw into the hole a few turns.
    4-Now break the skewer off and finish putting in the screw.

This eliminates the biggest problem, which is the skewer falling out of the hole or moving around. Once the screw is in a few turns things are pretty bound up and not going anywhere.

#9 10 years ago

Carpenters glue and your wood filler of choice ( toothpick for me ) works well.

#10 10 years ago

What about saw dust and wood glue, wait until it hardes and then drill a starter hole slightly smaller then the diameter of the screw.

#11 10 years ago

This.

wood-filler-de-11728882.jpgwood-filler-de-11728882.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Do yourself a big favor and use this. Seriously.

grip.jpggrip.jpg

#13 10 years ago

I used the bamboo skewers and glue method and it worked great. The stripped hole was for a standard flat blade / hex head wood screw. Golf tees and chopsticks would have been to big in this case. Thanks again for the idea/help!

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

yourself a big favor and use this. Seriously

This looks good. Were to buy it ?

#15 10 years ago

Another way is to use solid core wire with the insulation left on. It's amazing how well it works.

#16 10 years ago

I drill out the hole and fill it with a bamboo dowel that is the same size as my bit. and glue it in. then re-drill a pilot hole.

#17 10 years ago

Toothpicks and zip tie pieces work well too.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

This looks good. Were to buy it ?

Amazon.com...$2.00

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

I drill out the hole and fill it with a bamboo dowel that is the same size as my bit. and glue it in. then re-drill a pilot hole.

Thumbs up! This is the only proper and permanent way to fix this problem. The dowel does not need to be bamboo - I use regular 1/8" or 3/16" wood dowels and it works just great.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from RacerRik:

The dowel does not need to be bamboo

yea ... I was just being super proper and happen to have a 4 foot section that realistically would last 100 pins worth (I only got it because my local hardware store had some for like .75 cents).. a normal dowel however is 100% acceptable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-stripped-screw-holes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.