Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by onetaste
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cat_grinders (resized).png
    IMG-20161212-01745 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1113 (resized).JPG
    leg plate (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider insane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this seemed like a good place to ask. What do you guys use to install new style Williams/Bally leg bolt plates. What kind of screws. I am installing them on a Data East R&B. Someone previously installed 1 on one leg and installed carriage bolts through the side of the cabinet. Not the way i want to go, unless that is the recommended way.
    This is the style of plate i am installing.

leg plate (resized).jpgleg plate (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from fishmanrob:

Yes, like others stated. Just buy and install a new plate.

i already have the plates, asking what is the best way to attach the plate to the cabinet.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

If they arent there I think they are a #8 x 5/8.

Quoted from MMGB:

Use short wood screws.

Thanks guys. That's what i'll go pick up.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Might want to get some 1/2" as well just in case 5/8" is too long (dont want the screw popping through). Maybe someone else can confirm? If a #10 fits you might want to try those too.

i'll take the plate with and measure the cabinet thickness to verify length.

#24 7 years ago

I was able to get #10 x 1/2", but had to get sheet metal, rather than wood. Ace didn't have hex drive wood screws.

#25 7 years ago

Ok, what do you guys do when encountering this? The cone for the power cord is in the way of the new leg bolt bracket, I would think put it on top of the new bracket, but I could also slide it under. It seems the triangular wood support isn't completely "square" and the new bracket doesn't want to fit 100% tight to the cabinet on both sides.

IMG-20161212-01745 (resized).jpgIMG-20161212-01745 (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

No i am installing these better leg plates. the bolts were partially stripped when i got the machine. And the Original plates are junk. i can modify the cone if i need to, just wanted to see what others have done in this situation.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I would remove the cone and slide it up the cord, Install the plate, then reinstall the cone over it and attach the cone back as snugly as possible without deforming, cracking or trimming it.

Ok, I can actually use one of the screws from the plate to attach the cone, they are almost the same place. So I will put the cone over the plate. thanks for the help.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Yup. The plates and their female threads are made of a harder material than the bolt are. Quite often there are screwed up threads in the plates the will continue to destroy the threads on any bolt you put in it. Its designed that way. I run the tap through the plates on any game I buy (especially NIB). It avoids damaging bolts and further damage to the plate nuts. Some are beyond repair due to cross threading.
    Its hard to believe how many NIB games I bought had poor quality plate nuts causing this problem. It is a shame that so few people are aware of this. I'm sure it is another example of cheap overseas production quality. I never bought a NIB B/M game so I have no idea how they were, but its quite common on Stern's. My NIB JJP games have been fine.
    Everybody should buy a quality 3/8-16 tap and use it on every game that comes in. It can't be more than $10 at a quality auto parts store and there are plenty of ways to turn it from an open end wrench to a 12 point socket. You should always try to start them by fingers anyway. But the T wrench or the special tool for it from the tap set does make it easier and accurate indeed.

I picked up a set a while back, unfortunately the damage on this was already there. I will make a point of doing it to every other game from now on though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider insane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-stripped-leg-bolts-threads?tu=insane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.