(Topic ID: 247766)

Fixing/Restoring in a 1BR Apartment Living Room

By PatrickH

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herbertbsharp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from PatrickH:

Hi all, I'm new to pinball machine fixing / restoration and have recently come across the opportunity to inherit a 1973 Gottlieb Jumping Jack.
    The machine definitely needs some work, so the first step would be getting it to play properly. I live in a 1BR apartment, am currently single (so no SO to say otherwise!), and am considering trying to fix this machine in my living room. Is this a bad idea? What am I getting into here?
    In terms of actually fixing the machine, I'm not terribly worried. I'm fully prepared for the steep learning curve, hours of reading schematics, and lots of trial and error. I'm more concerned about trying to work on a machine in a carpeted living room... In my mind, I imagine keeping the machine next to my desk under a tarp to prevent things from getting dirty. Obviously if sanding/painting became essential down the line, I'd move these parts onto the balcony or do them elsewhere (I'm not THAT dense ). In the opinion of those of you with experience doing thing, as far as debugging the machine and getting it to a working state goes, could I feasibly do all this work in my living room? Am I vastly underestimating how much of a "garage" project this might actually be?

Go for it! At one point I had 4 pins in my living room, each of which were in some stage of repair. I had 2 arcade games crammed in there too. Living rooms are the best place to work. You can tinker when guests are over, you can have the TV going, refreshments aren't far. I kind of miss it! Now that I think of it, my first machine got restored in my kitchen! Those were the days.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herbertbsharp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-restoring-in-a-1br-apartment-living-room?tu=herbertbsharp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.