New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 247766)

Fixing/Restoring in a 1BR Apartment Living Room

By PatrickH

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Thrillhouse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi all, I'm new to pinball machine fixing / restoration and have recently come across the opportunity to inherit a 1973 Gottlieb Jumping Jack.

The machine definitely needs some work, so the first step would be getting it to play properly. I live in a 1BR apartment, am currently single (so no SO to say otherwise!), and am considering trying to fix this machine in my living room. Is this a bad idea? What am I getting into here?

In terms of actually fixing the machine, I'm not terribly worried. I'm fully prepared for the steep learning curve, hours of reading schematics, and lots of trial and error. I'm more concerned about trying to work on a machine in a carpeted living room... In my mind, I imagine keeping the machine next to my desk under a tarp to prevent things from getting dirty. Obviously if sanding/painting became essential down the line, I'd move these parts onto the balcony or do them elsewhere (I'm not THAT dense ). In the opinion of those of you with experience doing things like this, as far as debugging the machine and getting it to a working state goes, could I feasibly do all this work in my living room? Am I vastly underestimating how much of a "garage" project this might actually be?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from PatrickH:

Hi all, I'm new to pinball machine fixing / restoration and have recently come across the opportunity to inherit a 1973 Gottlieb Jumping Jack.
    The machine definitely needs some work, so the first step would be getting it to play properly. I live in a 1BR apartment, am currently single (so no SO to say otherwise!), and am considering trying to fix this machine in my living room. Is this a bad idea? What am I getting into here?
    In terms of actually fixing the machine, I'm not terribly worried. I'm fully prepared for the steep learning curve, hours of reading schematics, and lots of trial and error. I'm more concerned about trying to work on a machine in a carpeted living room... In my mind, I imagine keeping the machine next to my desk under a tarp to prevent things from getting dirty. Obviously if sanding/painting became essential down the line, I'd move these parts onto the balcony or do them elsewhere (I'm not THAT dense ). In the opinion of those of you with experience doing thing, as far as debugging the machine and getting it to a working state goes, could I feasibly do all this work in my living room? Am I vastly underestimating how much of a "garage" project this might actually be?

Go for it! At one point I had 4 pins in my living room, each of which were in some stage of repair. I had 2 arcade games crammed in there too. Living rooms are the best place to work. You can tinker when guests are over, you can have the TV going, refreshments aren't far. I kind of miss it! Now that I think of it, my first machine got restored in my kitchen! Those were the days.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from PatrickH:

In terms of actually fixing the machine, I'm not terribly worried. I'm fully prepared for the steep learning curve, hours of reading schematics, and lots of trial and error. I'm more concerned about trying to work on a machine in a carpeted living room... In my mind, I imagine keeping the machine next to my desk under a tarp to prevent things from getting dirty. Obviously if sanding/painting became essential down the line, I'd move these parts onto the balcony or do them elsewhere (I'm not THAT dense ). In the opinion of those of you with experience doing thing, as far as debugging the machine and getting it to a working state goes, could I feasibly do all this work in my living room? Am I vastly underestimating how much of a "garage" project this might actually be?

In my experience in a cramped living space like that a pinball machine and workspace will basically take up the same space as a king bedset. So if you are okay with taking a big rectangle out of living room then I’d say your fine. If the game isn’t moldy or flaking it should be okay. The paint on these is usually lead paint so don’t go eating them.

Noise will be your main issue. Machines are heavy and noisy. If you fire it up the chimes are loud as hell. Make sure your neighbors won’t be pissed. They don’t carry too much in my experience.

#4 1 year ago

herbertbsharp Great! I'm glad I'm not crazy for thinking it'd be pretty rad to work in the living room with music, AC, drinks, and all those other comforts

isochronic_frost I currently have a desk + PC setup next to the spot I'm thinking. I'm imagining most of the work I do on the PF/under the PF would be with it in the machine (at least, until I start the restoration process, at which point I'd move things). I also have a sizeable coffee table nearby to set parts down on. I suppose I could also move parts to the kitchen counter if need be... Are these the things you're imagining would take a King-sized bed's worth of space? Obviously things will be a little crammed and that's totally fine, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something later down the line that could be really space-consuming!

As for noise, I've definitely thought hard about this. I'm planning to set the machine on dampening foam to keep any vibrations from shooting down into my downstairs neighbor's ceiling.. I was also planning on just disconnecting the chimes altogether while I work on it. Obviously that doesn't solve the machine action noise problem, but I'm hoping this'll be enough to keep things reasonably quiet? I'd plan to not fire the machine up at unreasonable hours, of course. I hope my neighbors don't hate me for this!

#5 1 year ago

your neighbors will hate you for sure! Machines are loud! Especially with the glass off and the back open which it will be when you are working on it. I think that foam is a good idea. You could probably add something under the cabinet to absorb some sound as well. Great idea to disconnect the chimes. I have thrown a towel on them to muffle them before which helped a little.

You will have to access the back and wall around all side of the machine when trying to get it to work so keep that in mind.

Good luck with the project! I had a Jumping Jack for a while. That is a fun game!

Your main issue will be when you get a second pinball machine!

#6 1 year ago

quietearp The towel is a good idea as well - I'll look around and see what other people are doing to keep their machines quiet in an apartment.

Second machine is phase two, when I sell all my furniture and go full pinhead

#7 1 year ago

Keep your apt as the clean room. Who's knows what organisms are living in that thing. Only assemble finished parts inside. Do not do any cleaning inside. Keep all parts organized in Rubbermaid bins. Clean outside and bring inside to dry and assemble.

Do not do any sanding of the cabinet unless in a controlled environment. An almost 50 year old cabinet probably has lead based paint ( or just assume it does) Even on a balcony one swift breeze at the wrong time or suction from you opening the door, and the dust is in your apt. Also your neighbors might not take to kindly to it either.

#8 1 year ago

arcadiusmaximus All great tips - I'll definitely be careful to do some preliminary cleaning out on the balcony and do further cleaning out there as well. I'll keep in mind the lead based paint as well. That's not something I was even thinking about. I certainly won't do any actual sanding here in my apartment or even on the balcony. When the time comes, I'll take everything apart and move somewhere more ventilated. As I said I'm hoping I can take enough precautions to not bother my neighbors too much. I know other people here have purchased pins to keep in an apartment. It sounds like there are ways to at the very least reduce the noise

#9 1 year ago

Tutorials on getting these old games up and running are available the first Tuesday of every month...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 23.00
    $ 29.00
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 299.00
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    £ 70.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside