Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jjpm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm at the point in my restoration of Flying Carpet where I'm putting the end touches on the playfield. One of the issues with this particular machine are that all of the lettered inserts are warped. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions outside of what is already available on Clay's site? I've had mixed results with crazy glue in the past and don't think these are readily available as repros.

The other issue I'm having is with the #1 ball lamp on that machine. I replaced the socket, and am still having issues with flickering. Any ideas on a fix for this? None of the other lights in that chain flicker, so I'm not sure why I'm having an issue just on that 1 socket and not the other 5 in that chain as they are all part of the same board and the electrical wire is securely fixed to the base with solder. I've already been over the connector, bakelite, and everything is as it should be and clean. I've replaced the socket itself 2 times and keep getting the same annoying dimming/flickering (like you get when there is a loose bakelite insert).

#2 9 years ago

Assuming your ground connection is soldered properly, the culprit is likely to be the switch which is responsible for turning that lamp on and off. Find the relay, find the switch, clean and adjust as necessary.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

I've had mixed results with crazy glue in the past and don't think these are readily available as repros.

I assume you mean "cupped" inserts when you say warped.
I used Varathane on my woodrail instead of crazy glue, I think it to be clearer when dry.

Quoted from jjpm:

The other issue I'm having is with the #1 ball lamp on that machine. I replaced the socket, and am still having issues with flickering. Any ideas on a fix for this?

Assuming you replaced bulb too but it was not mentioned. Sounds like your problem is elsewhere than the socket, usually lamps turn on via a relay or stepper contact. You might have a dirty contact/switch for the lamp that is flickering.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

One of the issues with this particular machine are that all of the lettered inserts are warped.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/17#post-1717646

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I assume you mean "cupped" inserts when you say warped.
I used Varathane on my woodrail instead of crazy glue, I think it to be clearer when dry.

Most, not all. 2 of them are raised slightly (convex instead of concave). I'm guessing that happened because of a lamp being too close to the plastic, but they aren't burned underneath luckily.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Assuming your ground connection is soldered properly, the culprit is likely to be the switch which is responsible for turning that lamp on and off. Find the relay, find the switch, clean and adjust as necessary.

Thanks, I'll recheck the relay when I get back under the hood.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Most, not all. 2 of them are raised slightly (convex instead of concave). I'm guessing that happened because of a lamp being too close to the plastic, but they aren't burned underneath luckily.

Thanks, I'll recheck the relay when I get back under the hood.

I assumed a properly functioning bulb, too.

#7 9 years ago

I am more or less using Vid's guide for fixing my non-flat playfield inserts. He has some great instructions there and deserves most of the credit. Here is a high level overview of the steps I am going through. If you need any assistance with a particular step let me know.:

1. Remove original inserts from playfield
2. Scan the inserts at 300 ppi
3. Use the scanned image and photoshop to create an 8.5 x 11 page at the same 300 ppi for easy print size matching (ie when the image is printed its the exact size you need). Using photoshop touch up all the inserts and print the new graphics onto waterslide decal paper.
4. Sand the inserts flat, taking off the original silkscreen graphic OR buy some brand new inserts from pbresource I plan on taking the former approach and using the originals.
5. Once flat, put a thin layer of clear over the now blank insert, sand flat, polish out
6. Apply your new insert decals atop the layer of clear
7. Put inserts back into the playfield
8. Using Vid's method, put a final layer of clear over the insert, sealing the decal in, as well as sealing between the insert and the wood playfield. Mask around the insert and sand flat/polish

It should be noted that I am currently working on step 3 of this process so I can't comment on how steps 4 through 8 will turn out. Luckily I am working on a playfield that I don't so much care about getting perfect so its good for practice.

I'm not sure if this is THE approach to fixing this problem, but its one that I think should end up working pretty well.

#8 9 years ago

On the flickering bulb issue. (assuming you have already replaced the socket and bulb) If you have cleaned and adjusted the relay and the bulb still flickers then you may want to check the jones plug. If the jones plug is dirty then take wire brush or 600 grit sand paper and clean them. After doing this you will want to use 90% iso rubbing alcohol to do the final cleaning. I also find that rubbing alcohol on the female plug cleans out all the debris. Many strange problems seem to disappear after a good jones plug cleaning.

#9 9 years ago

Yes, bulb and socket were replaced. I usually replace all the bulbs when restoring a game.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

#10 9 years ago

if the lamp is lit via a switch check contacts on that switch
sounds like the a dirty switch if you replace the socket

#12 9 years ago

2 part automotive clear. If you need suggestions let me know. I already bugged Vid enough and can provide the answers he gave me

#13 9 years ago

Your light socket could be dim even with a new socket and wiring soldered correctly as the 5 upper lights are controlled through separate Score Motor Switches for each lamp. You most likely have a contact that needs cleaning/gaping. Find the Score Motor Switch for that light on your Schematic and you should be set.

Ken

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

If you need suggestions let me know. I already bugged Vid enough and can provide the answers he gave me

lol

#15 9 years ago

Some good info here as well. Not tried it but did buy the stuff that was recommended.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/jjresto2.htm

#16 9 years ago

I have a stock of 1" NOS inserts if you need any.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Your light socket could be dim even with a new socket and wiring soldered correctly as the 5 upper lights are controlled through separate Score Motor Switches for each lamp. You most likely have a contact that needs cleaning/gaping. Find the Score Motor Switch for that light on your Schematic and you should be set.
Ken

This did the trick. Thank you!

As for the cupping issues, I have some spare cupped inserts from a parted out machine I am going to play around with to make sure I get my technique down before going near the PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-playfield-insertsflaky-lamp-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.