Solarez5.JPG
Solarez3.JPG.JPG
Solarez1.JPG
rodi_2269_1167555370.jpeg
TAF Power.JPG
solarez.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago

but thats why we play a pinball machine because of the .......wacky unpredictable ball movement down there I've been suffering through for years.......

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from vinnypeppers:

but thats why we play a pinball machine because of the .......wacky unpredictable ball movement down there I've been suffering through for years.......

Sure, but playing with sunken inserts is like driving down what's supposed to be a flat road and you find out it's full of dips and potholes. When it's sunk so bad that the ball can get hung up at the bottom of the insert, that's when they're really bad.

I tested the first insert with drops of water and the mylar first to get an idea of how many drops of resin would be enough. After that the inserts were all the same size and depressed equally so I used that as my base amount and it worked out except a few where, okay, this one will need one more drop. Underfilling you're bound to get a large bubble, it should completely seal up when you drop the mylar on it. I've gotten one or two very tiny bubbles in several of them and thought about starting over but after putting them back in the playfield I can't even find the bubbles. Someone mentioned this isn't the best way to level inserts compared to clearing a playfield etc, yes, but if all you want to do is level the inserts it's pretty damned good. I've been wishing for something like this for... ever.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

This windshield repair stuff cures very hard, not tacky, and crystal clear with the mylar method. So far I did the large number of round inserts down by the flippers and slings, finally no more of the wacky unpredictable ball movement down there I've been suffering through for years. I also tried dulling it up with a pad, polished up nicely with Novus but the stuff is hard so takes some rubbing.

Frenchmarky, glad to get others feedback on this method. I have the resin and light but haven't tried this approach yet. Do you have any photo's you could share, a before and after would be great. Thanks.

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Frenchmarky, glad to get others feedback on this method. I have the resin and light but haven't tried this approach yet. Do you have any photo's you could share, a before and after would be great. Thanks.

I also tried hammering a screwdriver right thru a large round test insert I cured a week ago. I could lift/peel big pieces of the resin now since it separated from the insert when I smashed thru it but noticed, oh okay, the old pf laquer and artwork came right up with it. So it sure looks like you don't have to worry about this stuff sticking well to the insert! It's also hard but slightly flexible, not brittle.

The first test insert, I could make light fingernail scratches in it maybe the day after I cured it, but a couple of weeks later I cannot scratch it at all, hard as a rock. So seems like it does continue to harden up a little more after curing. Also as far as the stuff not curing if not covered, I read that it's because it cures without the presence of oxygen, and that it will cure uncovered but will take "significantly" longer.

1 year later
#205 26 days ago

I've got a fairly modern stern. (7 years old) and about 5 to 7 of the inserts have 1-3 tiny bubbles on the surface. I've tried running my finger(s) over the top of them (very slowly!). Even tried kind of scratching them with my fingernail lightly. I can't feel anything there!

Would you try the UV Clear trick on one of them? (I suppose I would have to take a pin or needle and poke a tiny hole in each one.)

Or, would you just not worry about them?

(When I clean them with alcohol it doesn't change the look at all...)

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

#206 25 days ago
Quoted from Sjudkins:

I've got a fairly modern stern. (7 years old) and about 5 to 7 of the inserts have 1-3 tiny bubbles on the surface. I've tried running my finger(s) over the top of them (very slowly!). Even tried kind of scratching them with my fingernail lightly. I can't feel anything there!
Would you try the UV Clear trick on one of them? (I suppose I would have to take a pin or needle and poke a tiny hole in each one.)
Or, would you just not worry about them?
(When I clean them with alcohol it doesn't change the look at all...)
Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

I would not worry

#207 24 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I would not worry

Yeah I don't think I have a choice, the risk versus reward is just way out of balance!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 119.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
$ 36.95
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-inserts-fogged-peeling-delaminated-with-uv-curing-resin/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.