Solarez5.JPG
Solarez3.JPG.JPG
Solarez1.JPG
rodi_2269_1167555370.jpeg
TAF Power.JPG
solarez.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago

Interested in the transparency too - I tried clear vinyl which curls upon contact with the resin, so no good. I've thought that acrylic or lexan might work and keep things super flat and intend to try. If those work, I'll try to get circles of appropriate size cut out of them so that I can cure JUST the resin on the insert then easily wipe off the excess.

1 week later
#152 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Interested in the transparency too - I tried clear vinyl which curls upon contact with the resin, so no good. I've thought that acrylic or lexan might work and keep things super flat and intend to try. If those work, I'll try to get circles of appropriate size cut out of them so that I can cure JUST the resin on the insert then easily wipe off the excess.

I'd like to see that if you get it done

3 months later
#153 9 years ago

My quart of Solarez came yesterday. Note that it requires a small amount of MEKP as a catalyst. A respirator is recommended when using MEKP:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0416.html

It's also very explosive:

#t=19

I'll report back with results shortly!

#154 9 years ago

Ummm.... why?!

Oh yea....cool!

#155 9 years ago

Crap, Home Depot has moved to "MEK substitute". Looks like I need to find a specialty store.

#156 9 years ago

I didn't use it - it hardened fine.

FYI - I bought the Solerez and found it a little thick and sought out the advice of the maker. Here is what he said:

"This resin is already pretty thin. If you heat it up in the microwave (8oz 1/2 pint for about 10 seconds each time until it gets to about 120°F, like very hot bath water)

If this is thin enough, we have a vinyl ester resin that starts off at this viscosity. It is clear too. But heat is an easy way to "dial-in" your required viscosity without diluting"

I haven't tried it yet - just sharing.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Crap, Home Depot has moved to "MEK substitute". Looks like I need to find a specialty store.

We have used the Solarez on about 20 inserts with no MEK.
All of them are still going strong.

#158 9 years ago

Has anyone tried the optically clear UV resin they use when replacing cell phone screens?

APS-340 UV - LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive)

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I didn't use it - it hardened fine.

Thanks for the heat tip. I used UV for 5 minutes and it hardened okay, but it has a slight blue cast and is a little "rubbery". But I assume this flexibility is good. I'll try it tonight on my Buccaneer's ball-trap inserts.

4 weeks later
#160 9 years ago

The solarez we used didn't require the MEK. You must of purchased one of their many other versions. Also it hardened completely. The little mylar film on the top gives it the glassy shine when it is removed.

#161 9 years ago

Can someone send a link to the actual product they used successfully? I did a search and see a million different things.

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Can someone send a link to the actual product they used successfully? I did a search and see a million different things.

Just look half way down on the previous page. There is a huge picture of the bottle of solarez we used and plenty of how to pictures. I bought it on amazon. Just make sure you buy the one that is what I have pictured and not the one that needs the MEK the other guy got.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

Just look half way down on the previous page. There is a huge picture of the bottle of solarez we used and plenty of how to pictures. I bought it on amazon. Just make sure you buy the one that is what I have pictured and not the one that needs the MEK the other guy got.

I bought the exact same thing you did. I'm not sure why I got different results, but I'll play with it some more this weekend. I'd like to finish up my Buccaneer.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from KingNine:

The solarez we used didn't require the MEK. You must of purchased one of their many other versions. Also it hardened completely

Nope, exact same thing. This is the lamp I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSP04A8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

#165 9 years ago

Well that does look like the same product in a different conatiner. It clearly says "or" with a MEKP catalyst. You don't want to use it that way. Just use the UV light method. If you are using the light that seems to come with the kit you provided a link to maybe it is the wrong spectrum if you aren't getting good cures on the product. If it is off even by a little the product won't work. The little fingernail cure lamp we use works like a champ.

2 months later
#166 9 years ago

So can you use Solarez to clear coat a cheap playfield?

#167 9 years ago

I have a High Speed playfield I've been trying to decide what to do with. It's in decent shape, just needs insert decals and some small touchups. Curious to see how it reacts to decals and types of paint. That finish is amazing.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

» YouTube video

I wonder how hard wearing that product is compared to 2PAC. What is the normal application for the stuff?

3 months later
#169 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I'm having issues with what the OP used; I bought the Simoniz pen that's supposed to be UV-curing on Amazon, and while it says on the pen that it cures with UV light, it's still liquid after 5+ doses of light.
What other products have people used with confirmed good results?

Same issue here with the exact same pen (UV curing one) and lamp. Not sure why but it seems the resin wouldn't cure even after several doses of light...

#170 9 years ago

I had no issue with the pens, other than it made some trouble for my clearcoat guy when he did my playfield, but repair looked much better than the ghosting, and I would say I left the UV flourescent blacklight 12v tube I had on it for 15-20 minutes.

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I had no issue with the pens, other than it made some trouble for my clearcoat guy when he did my playfield, but repair looked much better than the ghosting, and I would say I left the UV flourescent blacklight 12v tube I had on it for 15-20 minutes.

Then maybe that's the problem. As the Carpet manicure lamp shuts off after 45 sec., I applied a dozen doses which is about 9 min of exposure. Maybe that wasn't enough...?

#172 9 years ago

I dunno. I never got around to buying a "nail drier"... my UV tube is powered off a 12v wall wart, so I just plugged it into the service outlet, put it on the playfield, and walked off for a while. I gave up trying to babysit it after the first few times it didn't cure. Even when it DOES cure, you will still have some leftover liquid residue to clean up...at least I did.

#173 9 years ago

How about just putting it outside in the sunshine for a few seconds?

Mega UV there.

4 weeks later
#174 9 years ago

So just curious - does the simonize UV stuff work well or not?

#175 9 years ago

Found on Ebay for a buck shipped:

ebay.com link: like

#176 9 years ago

The little LED fingernail dryer cures it in two or three presses of the button. Something might not be right with your product or your light if it isn't curing. I had a pen that didn't cure before as well. The solorez cures fast!

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

» YouTube video

I don't think you could get it perfectly smooth like you would with a spray application of clear coat. I don't think I'd try it.

4 weeks later
#178 8 years ago

A Bump of this thread to see if anyone has tested this process and verified that it works well?

3 months later
#179 8 years ago

Tried it a few months ago with the exact stuff recommended in the original post and got mitigated results. The main issue I ran into was to get the simonize to harden. Even with several UV shots... Maybe I put too much...

Anyway, I'm now planning to fix it using vid1900 method, that is to use a clear to glue back the original clear coat on the insert...

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from wspy:

Tried it a few months ago with the exact stuff recommended in the original post and got mitigated results.

I didn't have any luck either. Same stuff as the original.

5 months later
#181 8 years ago

Hey all, trying to get my Flip Flop more playable and am going to use the solarez technique to level the many cupped inserts. I was also planning on touching up black circles etc as there is a fair amount of paint gone. Any advice as to whether to do this before or after leveling the inserts?

#182 8 years ago

I would fix the cupping first and then do the keylines. You will need to put something over the circles afterwards or they will wear fast.

1 year later
#183 7 years ago

Bumping for the new crowd.

2 months later
#184 6 years ago

Did anybody ever find an economical UV cured resin that is thin enough to put into the cupped inserts? I know there are the pen kits, but that is not very much material, and not an optimal dispensing solution (unless you are trying to fix automotive scratches).

1 year later
#185 5 years ago

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but... Can anyone confirm a product & affordable UV light combo that's still available? I have a couple of inserts that have some minor lifting of the clear along one edge, creating a "flap" of paint that will probably break off if I don't do something about it.

Scanning through the thread, it sounds like the formula of the original Simoniz product changed, such that it's no longer UV curable. Though something that *looks* like the original product (and has the "UV activated" logo), is available from a number of sources (amazon, ebay, walmart): ebay.com link: sch

Solarez seems to have just over one billion products available. I like the idea of the fly fishing flavor, but I didn't see a follow-up report from anyone who'd successfully used it: https://www.amazon.com/Solarez-Ultra-UV-Cure-Fly-TIE-Resin/dp/B077MWZW8X/

It seems like most of their other flavors aren't "ultra thin"? I'd definitely need something water-thin, as even lifting the edge of the paint flap enough to get the stuff in there will be tricky. Speaking of which - has anyone used these (or other) options with a syringe, and if so do you have a link for one with an appropriate gauge needle? Or does the pen-based stuff just wick in there?

As for cure lights, the original item is now $55. Amazon has literally dozens of options, and I can't tell if they are somehow different. This one claims to be 36W (compared to the original item's 6W), but it runs off USB power, so that's clearly wrong: https://www.amazon.com/Dryer-Polish-Timer-Connector-Tools/dp/B07GB42Q73 Other's claim "light that's closer to white, to protect your eyes", which also seems anti-science. Failing any way to tell them apart, I'd probably just pick a cheap one at random: https://www.amazon.com/DIOZO-Portable-Manicure-Curing-Anti-UV/dp/B07K1QNK9W

DSC_0039 (resized).jpgDSC_0039 (resized).jpg
2 years later
#186 2 years ago

Came across this post, but was unable to find a product except this stuff from a craft store. I’ve attached a photo of the product. Do you think this product, or the UV resin approach could work to fix this type of damage? Any help would be appreciated. In my case, it was a huge mistake to attempt Mylar removal.
Edit: I tested this product on the bench and it seemed to still be tacky after 3 mins of black light exposure. I’m guessing either the black light isn’t the right wavelength, or the product is shit

69CAB2DA-9C8E-4E71-9CAE-3DBB576197C1 (resized).jpeg69CAB2DA-9C8E-4E71-9CAE-3DBB576197C1 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Came across this post, but was unable to find a product except this stuff from a craft store. I’ve attached a photo of the product. Do you think this product, or the UV resin approach could work to fix this type of damage? Any help would be appreciated. In my case, it was a huge mistake to attempt Mylar removal.
Edit: I tested this product on the bench and it seemed to still be tacky after 3 mins of black light exposure. I’m guessing either the black light isn’t the right wavelength, or the product is shit
[quoted image][quoted image]

Pulling my comment from another thread (edited):

I used Solarez UV resin: https://www.amazon.com/SOLAREZ-Fly-Tie-Cure-Resin/dp/B07MLTL3FM/ref=sr_1_14

Pour it into the insert (and under the decal in your case), then place a stiff piece of mylar (anything flat and transparent) over it to flatten it out even with the playfield, then harden with a UV flashlight: https://www.amazon.com/LETION-Flashlight-Highlight-Waterproof-Detection/dp/B07X1H5TJQ/ref=sr_1_6

Curing the UV takes a couple minutes: shine the light on the resin for 5 seconds, leave off for 30 seconds, then another 5 seconds, leave off for 30, then leave on for another 30 (follow the directions on the bottle--my times might be off, but that's the gist).

Pull the mylar up and you've got a flat, hard, clear insert. It won't all be cloudy like your existing insert decal though (but it will be functional)

This is not a perfect solution (stripping everything and clearcoating is more professional for sure); but I'm much happier with the inserts where I used the resin than the inserts where I used the stickers I purchased.

After about 8 months of use, the resin still holds, though there's some chipping around the edges.

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

[quoted image][quoted image]

What kind of blacklight is it? A lot of the old style incandescent UV lamps were just blackened to limit the visible light and the UV would still be there but they only have enough UV make a shirt glow but not enough to cure anything. Any good UV lamp is something to avoid looking at directly.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What kind of blacklight is it? A lot of the old style incandescent UV lamps were just blackened to limit the visible light and the UV would still be there but they only have enough UV make a shirt glow but not enough to cure anything. Any good UV lamp is something to avoid looking at directly.

The black light I purchased was an led black light from the hardware store. It said 400 nv wavelength. I figured it was close to the 365 mentioned earlier in this post. It’s probably too big a difference plus now I’m thinking the product isn’t the right kind to use for this

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Pulling my comment from another thread (edited):
I used Solarez UV resin: amazon.com link »
Pour it into the insert (and under the decal in your case), then place a stiff piece of mylar (anything flat and transparent) over it to flatten it out even with the playfield, then harden with a UV flashlight: amazon.com link »
Curing the UV takes a couple minutes: shine the light on the resin for 5 seconds, leave off for 30 seconds, then another 5 seconds, leave off for 30, then leave on for another 30 (follow the directions on the bottle--my times might be off, but that's the gist).
Pull the mylar up and you've got a flat, hard, clear insert. It won't all be cloudy like your existing insert decal though (but it will be functional)
This is not a perfect solution (stripping everything and clearcoating is more professional for sure); but I'm much happier with the inserts where I used the resin than the inserts where I used the stickers I purchased.
After about 8 months of use, the resin still holds, though there's some chipping around the edges.

Thank you so much for the information and the links!
A couple of the letter decals are still in one piece, do you think I may be able to use the same approach by trying to “glue” them back on? I’d like to avoid having to purchase aftermarket decals if possible.
Again, thank you!!

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

A couple of the letter decals are still in one piece, do you think I may be able to use the same approach by trying to “glue” them back on? I’d like to avoid having to purchase aftermarket decals if possible.
Again, thank you!!

Yeah, I’ve been able to do that. Eventually the “glued” piece might pop back off though.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

Again, thank you!!

Also—make sure your playfield is level when you’re doing this. Extending the playfield out and resting on its “arms” will get it close but you might need to adjust.

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Also—make sure your playfield is level when you’re doing this. Extending the playfield out and resting on its “arms” will get it close but you might need to adjust.

It’s out of the machine. It was filthy so I stripped it down to clean. It went sideways with the whole Mylar thing. What’s ironic is that I’ll likely put mylar back on to protect the band members on the cross- I don’t know if the UV glue would work in this case as the decals aren’t translucent. I attached a photo of what I’m talking about. Although they didn’t come up with the Mylar entirely, it looks like they eventually will with a few plays.
Should I just cover with mylar? Or do you think the UV stuff would work?

51FEA03A-705F-4226-A4D8-59C3092C60EE (resized).jpeg51FEA03A-705F-4226-A4D8-59C3092C60EE (resized).jpeg
#194 2 years ago
Quoted from Md2020:

It’s out of the machine. It was filthy so I stripped it down to clean. It went sideways with the whole Mylar thing. What’s ironic is that I’ll likely put mylar back on to protect the band members on the cross- I don’t know if the UV glue would work in this case as the decals aren’t translucent. I attached a photo of what I’m talking about. Although they didn’t come up with the Mylar entirely, it looks like they eventually will with a few plays.
Should I just cover with mylar? Or do you think the UV stuff would work?[quoted image]

The UV resin probably wouldn't work in that case. Some have used superglue (dangerous because it gets hard to fix a screw up). Mylar might be your best bet.

#195 2 years ago

Couldn’t this be injected into ghosting inserts to fill the void? I know people have injected superglue which since there’s theoretically no air I can’t imagine turns out well.

#196 2 years ago

The factory never applied decals on the inserts. The artwork on the insert was silkscreened along with everything else. Whatever they used to clearcoat it doesn't always stick to plastic verry well and it pulls the ink with it, which also does not adhere verry well. The only thing that I have witnessed and works is to inject clearcoat under it with a syring.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/2#post-551865

2 months later
#197 2 years ago

for solarez, this UV light works (it has 365nm wavelength):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G31SQZ7

7mil+ mylar is handy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMS6F4P

make sure you get a "finish" resin:
https://www.solarez.com/product/dual-cure-polyester-gloss-clear-finish-resin/

a laminating resin will have a tacky surface when cured because it's designed to have more layered on top. If you got the laminating by mistake, the use of mylar on top may give you the hard surface you want anyway.

solarez removal will lift damaged ink (like peeling up mylar will), but solarez comes off good ink without damage, especially if there's still wax on it when the solarez went down.

this makes fixing screw-ups possible.

So far, screened artwork from inserts has survived experiments peeling up cured solarez. I need to try cleaning the inserts and playfield very well with acetone first and seeing what happens when removing the cured solarez.

6 months later
#198 1 year ago

I'm trying this method on my Stern Lightning where all the inserts were sunken in (wasn't like that when I bought it but time has taken its toll.) I'm removing each insert because with the warpage some are too high or low now anyway and I wanted to re-set them in. I am using windshield repair resin.

Works well. If I get a big bubble that I can't get out I wipe if off and start over. One cured with a smaller bubble I didn't notice, so I put one more half drop on the bubble making sure it was filled and put another mylar on, fixed it. The weird thing about this stuff not curing unless it is covered - the ring of resin that seeps out around the edge of the insert cures hard but it's *not* covered, the underside is exposed to air. (?)

#199 1 year ago

it depends on the kind of resin. All with cure hard-ish, but some will cure with a tacky surface designed to have more resin layered on top. If you want a slick/sandable top layer, you either need a different resin for the top layer or a kind that when deprived of air will cure to a dry surface.

some resins will also cure cloudy unless the top has no air.

the mylar is also helpful to prevent the resin from doming if it has a higher surface tension.

so far the SOLAREZ UV Cure Polyester Gloss Resin has held up with no problems on the Pacific Pinball Museum games it's been used on.

#200 1 year ago

This windshield repair stuff cures very hard, not tacky, and crystal clear with the mylar method. So far I did the large number of round inserts down by the flippers and slings, finally no more of the wacky unpredictable ball movement down there I've been suffering through for years. I also tried dulling it up with a pad, polished up nicely with Novus but the stuff is hard so takes some rubbing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 119.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-inserts-fogged-peeling-delaminated-with-uv-curing-resin/page/4?hl=md2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.