New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 102824)

Fixing broken bakelite plug

By Toyguy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ReallifePin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm wondering what's the best way to put a bakelite plug that's broken in two back together? I'm leaning toward Superglue or epoxy but wasn't sure about the vapors from either of those. Does anyone make replacement plugs on demand?

Dave

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

I'm wondering what's the best way to put a bakelite plug that's broken in two back together?

Any photo of it to see what you are dealing with?

Quoted from Toyguy:

Does anyone make replacement plugs on demand?

Ebay or a swap meet.

#3 6 years ago

You can try these guys see what they have or replace you old ones with new ones.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/cinch-connectors/jones-plug-sockets-22010-198866.html

but you can always repair yours with epoxy or fiberglass depending on the connector

#4 6 years ago

Actually, a Google search turned up a technique that seems to have worked fine. A 24 pin, dual row strip had fractured crosswise into an 18 pin and a 6 pin piece. The previous owner simply plugged them in separately, which was fine, but did not suit my need to clean things up

So basically the two pieces were fit back together at the seam, which made a nice fit, and thin superglue was flowed in. I carefully clamped the pieces together lightly endwise and waited for it to dry. Once dry, I cut off a sliver of old, used flipper link and bonded that to the top between the pins with the superglue. Better than new!

#5 6 years ago

Nice, that works. I was going to say, you don't necessarily have to fix it if both pieces plug in cleanly. With that said I know it's things like this that can drive you nuts. If you eventually want to replace it altogether jones plugs often show up on Ebay from parted games.

#6 6 years ago

To repair it to factory you need to desolder the original 24 pin plug and resolder in a new 24 pin plug. The stripped end of each wire is soldered into the respective pin of the plug.

As for coming up with a replacement candidate, you will need to find a used connector to work with.

For a 24 pin plug that is a lot of work but is definitely doable.

#7 6 years ago

Interesting. I would say you would have to cut out some G-10 or fiberglass plate to reinforce it, but that's just me. Would like to see some pictures of what you have done.

#8 6 years ago

Do you have a photo you can post of the bakelite plug repair you did?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from T2F14:

Do you have a photo you can post of the bakelite plug repair you did?

Yeah I like to see this too. I have a couple male Jones plugs that are broke. One is an 8 pair plug that's broke in between almost every pair and another is a 12 pair plug that's broke once. I can see how to maybe glue a piece on the pin side (between the pins lengthwise), but not on the wire side.

#10 6 years ago

I do have a bunch of plugs if anybody wants to do a wholesale replacement...a bit of work but certainly better than the repair.

#11 6 years ago

I'll try and grab a photo when I open it back up tomorrow but you have the gist of it. I untied the wiring from the end of the bakelite plug with the notches in it and spread the wires carefully. I then fit the plug together, it fit well, and flowed some thin superglue into the seam. I then took a thin sliver of old flipper link and superglued that between the wires on the top side of the plug, running lengthwise.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Actually, a Google search turned up a technique that seems to have worked fine. A 24 pin, dual row strip had fractured crosswise into an 18 pin and a 6 pin piece. The previous owner simply plugged them in separately, which was fine, but did not suit my need to clean things up
So basically the two pieces were fit back together at the seam, which made a nice fit, and thin superglue was flowed in. I carefully clamped the pieces together lightly endwise and waited for it to dry. Once dry, I cut off a sliver of old, used flipper link and bonded that to the top between the pins with the superglue. Better than new!

This is the way I've done it, and it works perfectly.

2 weeks later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 3.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 229.99
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 445.00
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 5,999.00
$ 12,500.00
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 159.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside