8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by catboxer
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I have a couple of original sound ROMs that had some bent legs that came in a box of parts I got a while back. They are basically unobtainable, so I was hoping that I might be able to save them.

I tried to carefully straighten the bent legs with needle-nose pliers, but a couple of them ended up breaking off.

1) Is there a "best practice" for straightening bent pins? Should I try heating them before bending?

2) Is there a good technique for repairing legs when the thin end of the leg that gets inserted into the socket gets broken off?

#2 8 years ago

I have salvaged obsolete ICs with broken legs using resistor leads. You have to hard solder them in at that point. Using an old IC socket frame helps hold things in place.

For something like an ROM that is easily replaceable with an EPROM, i would just pitch it and burn an EPROM.

I honestly usually just throw away masked ROMs and use an EPROM. Normally the masked ROMs legs are all tarnished and yuck 30 years later.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have a couple of original sound ROMs that had some bent legs that came in a box of parts I got a while back. They are basically unobtainable, so I was hoping that I might be able to save them.
    I tried to carefully straighten the bent legs with needle-nose pliers, but a couple of them ended up breaking off.
    1) Is there a "best practice" for straightening bent pins?
    2) Is there a good technique for repairing legs when the thin end of the leg that gets inserted into the socket gets broken off?

Great questions. Thanks for the post.
    -mof

#4 8 years ago

I do the same trick with spare leads off of other parts. Just make sure they're not too flimsy, and usually you get one or two "shots" at it, so you have to be really slow putting them in the sockets. Did this with a CEM chip once and a Reticon BBD both and repaired them that way. Not chips you wanna break a leg on.

But sometimes if they're worn down or oxidized and corroded they just snap off really easily after they're out of the socket. I will tin the pins if that is the case so it doesn't happen to the other legs on obsolete expensive stuff.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I have salvaged obsolete ICs with broken legs using resistor leads. You have to hard solder them in at that point. Using an old IC socket frame helps hold things in place.
    For something like an ROM that is easily replaceable with an EPROM, i would just pitch it and burn an EPROM.
    I honestly usually just throw away masked ROMs and use an EPROM. Normally the masked ROMs legs are all tarnished and yuck 30 years later.

Unfortunately, they don't appear to be easily replaced with modern EPROMs. Also, the legs on these cleaned up fine with a couple gentle passes with a pink rubber eraser.

I'll give the resistor lead technique a try. Thanks

#6 8 years ago

Good luck

#7 8 years ago

On my boards; I've just direct wired to a via on the mpu board using some small solid gauge rework wire. It works. On mine I had a 6821PIA break a pin... and at the time I didn't have a spare. So; out came the soldering iron and some wire. Been working great for years.

#8 8 years ago

You can always take a dead chip and cut the entire leg off from the top and solder it directly to the broken chip leg [after a good cleaning].. Works great and looks just like the rest of the chip legs if soldered well.

#9 8 years ago

I did my first ones this week actually. I used some ends off of extra capacitors I had. I couldn't find my needle nose wires so I burned my fingertips pretty bad haha.

#10 8 years ago

I've had this happen on an old Atari arcade board. I took a fresh leg off a junk IC and jammed it in the socket then inserted the IC and tinned a little solder between the IC body/scrap of leg and the new leg.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-bent-or-broken-ic-legs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.