(Topic ID: 251655)

Fixing backglass -- doable? Worth it? Or just replace it?

By KSUWildcatFan

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PART_1565816496443 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190917-123414 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190815_145525 (resized).jpg
5973587576910796434 (resized).JPG
17177442527603394893 (resized).JPEG
#1 4 years ago

Trying to figure out how I should approach issues on my eight ball deluxe backglass. Overall it doesn't look too bad. But it's got some lifting and some bubbling. Can it be reasonably fixed, or should I just spend the $350 to get a new mirrored repro?

IMG_20190815_145525 (resized).jpgIMG_20190815_145525 (resized).jpg17177442527603394893 (resized).JPEG17177442527603394893 (resized).JPEG5973587576910796434 (resized).JPG5973587576910796434 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

fixing the damage with touchups usually doesn't work out. taping off clear windows and triple thicking it will save it from ever getting worse. lots of light coats.

#3 4 years ago

Hi,

If you want to fix it, you can. But the solution won't be perfect.
If you are ready to buy a repro (take care before all about color matching...) why not trying...
Vinylic bond (white for wood) become transparent when drying...

Nevertheless, the bubble has stretched the paint, so it won't get back fully (you will have a ply). See if cutting on sides allow you to match the art in such a way it's not painful looking at...

If not, you BG is not in such a bad shape

#4 4 years ago

also...……..do you have 44 or 47's in the backglass? heat kills these things.

#5 4 years ago

are you seriously considering spending $400 (shipped) to replace an almost perfect backglass?

I mean, do what you want, but I would just slap mylar patches over the bubbling areas and call it a day.

#6 4 years ago

I think it looks fine. Unless you are doing a restore, I'd just use it as is.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

ut it's got some lifting and some bubbling. Can it be reasonably fixed

Yes, use super glue. The 15 second liquid stuff. Then take some plastic wrap, push down the area you added glue to, hold it for a minute or two, then let it cure for 24 hours. The separation should be nearly invisible after that. The air gap between the paint and glass is what generally makes it stand out. But by adhering the paint with superglue, there is then no air gap.

After that, spray it with krylon triple thick to seal it.

You can spray over the windows. Just make sure they are clean and free of dust. Then spray very thickly over them. The triple thick will flow and even out. Don't be alarmed about cloudiness that might develop--that clears up when it cures.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

are you seriously considering spending $400 (shipped) to replace an almost perfect backglass?
I mean, do what you want, but I would just slap mylar patches over the bubbling areas and call it a day.

Sure, why not? It's only money

It's not 'almost perfect' but I agree that it's not completely heinous either.

I'm planning on hardtopping (when available) and swapping 555s out for bayonet LEDs..and once that's done, it'll bother me as it is currently. *Shrug*

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd rate your backglass at an 8.5/10

I’d be worried pressing the Mylar on would crack those bubbles and the pieces would move.

I agree I wouldn’t replace... unless it’s a machine you’re keeping forever or you got the game cheap.

#10 4 years ago

It's not that bad! I would triple thick it and use plastic wrap and a block to push down on the bubbling area. You won't notice it unless you mess it up terribly.

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

#11 4 years ago

Sure, why not? It's only money
It's not 'almost perfect' but I agree that it's not completely heinous either.
I'm planning on hardtopping (when available) and swapping 555s out for bayonet LEDs..and once that's done, it'll bother me as it is currently. *Shrug*

Then you have your answer. Buy the new backglass.

#12 4 years ago

I paid $600 for the machine. So, $350 backglass still has me cheap as dirt on it. I just didn't want to do that right off if my glass could be made better. I'm all for fixing what I have if it's doable.. If that makes sense?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's not that bad! I would triple thick it and use plastic wrap and a block to push down on the bubbling area. You won't notice it unless you mess it up terribly.
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

This. This is all you need to do- it will be easy. $3.98 Triple thick at Walmart and the plastic wrap you already have.

#14 4 years ago

Yep, that's what I needed. I'll give it a shot.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, use super glue. The 15 second liquid stuff. Then take some plastic wrap, push down the area you added glue to, hold it for a minute or two, then let it cure for 24 hours. The separation should be nearly invisible after that. The air gap between the paint and glass is what generally makes it stand out. But by adhering the paint with superglue, there is then no air gap.
You can spray over the windows. Just make sure they are clean and free of dust. Then spray very thickly over them. The triple thick will flow and even out. Don't be alarmed about cloudiness that might develop--that clears up when it cures.

how much super glue would you use on this, just a few drops? curious, because ive never seen a super glue that dries that clear before, most ive seen "white up"!

#16 4 years ago

A new backglass from CPR is $269 plus $40 shipping so please don't spend $350 when you can spend $309 for the same thing. Also, usually on new years day, or maybe other times, CPR has a sale and they take like 15 percent or something off backglasses(I forgot the number but it might have been 20% this year). No guarantees this will happen but maybe worth waiting a few months to see. In my opinion your backglass looks fine and I wouldn't replace it personally unless your playfield and cabinet are perfect. Good luck and awesome game!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

how much super glue would you use on this, just a few drops? curious, because ive never seen a super glue that dries that clear before, most ive seen "white up"!

Flood the area to ensure it gets everywhere.

It dries clear in this case.

It looks white when edges are rough/textured--generally when you're gluing pieces of an object together.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

A new backglass from CPR is $269 plus $40 shipping so please don't spend $350 when you can spend $309 for the same thing. Also, usually on new years day, or maybe other times, CPR has a sale and they take like 15 percent or something off backglasses(I forgot the number but it might have been 20% this year). No guarantees this will happen but maybe worth waiting a few months to see. In my opinion your backglass looks fine and I wouldn't replace it personally unless your playfield and cabinet are perfect. Good luck and awesome game!

Oh, even better. you can get the backglass from Marco Specialties for $279 plus $10 shipping. Total ~290 shipped to your door today(if you really want to go that route.

#19 4 years ago

I know a guy who can make a translite for about half the prices above.

#20 4 years ago

Translites can be pretty good but compared to a mirrored glass, IMO, it would absolutely pale in comparison.

#21 4 years ago

I’ve only bought a repro backglass once, and in hindsight I could have worked with what I had. Triple Thick, airbrush or colored cellophane for letters/numbers, and touchup paint for artwork then opaquing the touched up areas if the touchups look bad translucent, and a rough backglass can become presentable. I think we as collectors notice the imperfections much more than anyone we invite over to play our pins.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I’ve only bought a repro backglass once, and in hindsight I could have worked with what I had. Triple Thick, airbrush or colored cellophane for letters/numbers, and touchup paint for artwork then opaquing the touched up areas if the touchups look bad translucent, and a rough backglass can become presentable. I think we as collectors notice the imperfections much more than anyone we invite over to play our pins.

Oh you are 100% correct. But I keep a 5 pin lineup and want them all to be as good as they can be, WITHIN REASON. It's as much a playable piece of entertainment as it is artwork for me. Shrug.

Side note, I love how fired up people get about EBD. I got some great reactions when I posted on FB about getting this and how I thought it looked like a POS game (I was wrong.. It's amazing)...
Screenshot_20190917-123414 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190917-123414 (resized).jpg

I've got a CPR glass on my Meteor and it's gorgeous. 10/10 would do again soon.

PART_1565816496443 (resized).jpegPART_1565816496443 (resized).jpeg
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Completely missed this as I was typing a response. Exactly what I'm going to try. Thanks

#25 4 years ago

, $350 backglass still has me cheap as dirt on it.

Sell your old one to someone who thinks it's almost perfect for $325. Win-win

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Sell your old one to someone who thinks it's almost perfect for $325. Win-win

Bahahaha

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-backglass-doable-worth-it-or-just-replace-it?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.