Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Toppers
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Well, my iPhone didn't do a good job of picking up the audio (or Youtube didn't)... but I can assure you this DMD is noisy!

Its that weird buzzing that changes depending on how much of the DMD is lit.

Wondering if there is a fix or if I need to buy a Vishay. Wanted to pop it off to look at the brand but I have to find some type of cylinder tool to get it off the white post things.

2 weeks later
    #2 12 years ago

My TZ does the same thing (but maybe not as loud as yours) after trying both a new Vishay and a Rottendog high voltage board. I don't notice it during play, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I even tried a few different kinds of ferrites I got from work (placed on various ribbon cables, as well as the wiring at the speakers).

#3 12 years ago

I had something similar on my Fishtales. The DMD was old and I replaced it with a fresh new vishay and its now all good

3 months later
    #4 11 years ago

Just bumping this thread from 3 months ago in the hope that someone has a solution.

Quoted from mummite:I had something similar on my Fishtales. The DMD was old and I replaced it with a fresh new vishay and its now all good

I have a pretty new DMD and I am not sure I want to spend the money on a new one on the hope that it might work.

#5 11 years ago

I have a brand new DMD and I have the same issue in my SFII.

My guess is some sort of bad ground?

My only repair solution is to have music on in the background. :p

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Well, my iPhone didn't do a good job of picking up the audio (or Youtube didn't)... but I can assure you this DMD is noisy!
    Its that weird buzzing that changes depending on how much of the DMD is lit.
    Wondering if there is a fix or if I need to buy a Vishay. Wanted to pop it off to look at the brand but I have to find some type of cylinder tool to get it off the white post things.
    » YouTube video

My IJ has sound from the DMD also the same as you described... I tried hooking up a different DMD to it and it still made the noise. Anyhow I am still looking for a solution also

#7 11 years ago

I resolved the issue by selling the game

#8 11 years ago

I have read that tightening down all the boards in the backbox can sometimes fix this issue. This didn't work for my Tommy, but it's worth a try.

1 year later
    #9 10 years ago

bumping this old thread...I have a DMD that is super noisy and trying to figure out the reason. No signs of outgassing or anything however if I throw in a new DMD the noise goes away. What on the actual DMD would cause this?

#10 10 years ago

If the display is a Cherry, the only way to get rid of it is to replace it. They are notorious for being "buzzy". By comparison, a new Vishay is stone cold silent.

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago

Depends on the machine too, DE-Stern Whitestars always hum and buzz to the display, no fix I'm aware of.

if b/w, it can be a no ground issue, but usually means the display is on it's way out, even if not gassing.

5 years later
    #12 4 years ago

Resurrecting in old thread. I’m having an issue with my white water dmd. Very noisy. Changes with what is displayed. Grounds are good.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixes-for-noisy-dmd?hl=vpv1rgin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.