image (resized).jpg
t-rex ramp (resized).jpg
trex ramp (resized).jpg
tape (resized).jpg
14A5553F-04F7-48F5-BF50-8B15ACFAA3A3 (resized).jpeg
85BA646D-BC7C-4F44-A03B-A6C86BA748AF (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hey guys,

I posted this in the JP owners thread and it has solved some of their their T-Rex issues.

Just wanted to post this here as it may help some of you who are also having problems with the T-Rex not grabbing the ball consistently.

First of all, I did the mechanical adjustments that were listed previously in this thread by Keith and other posters regarding proper alignment of the T-rex. I ensured that when the T-rex opened his mouth that his jaw was resting lightly on the ramp and adjusted the T-rex left and right bias to make her jaw line up with the middle of the ramp. However, she still only grabbed the ball about 20% of the time. The other times it would just go in her mouth come back out and not even start the event. This made me realize that she was not being activated to grab the ball.
I went into switch mode and tested the opto on the trex ramp. it would trigger only if I placed a pinball directly on the ramp. If i raised the pinball even 1/8th of an inch off the ramp the the opto would disengage. I then tested the opto in the "O" lane. I could raise the ball 1/4 to 1/2 and inch and the opto would still be engaged. so with this information I realized I needed to raise the optics on the ramp because my pinball was jumping over the opto 70% of the time. However, there was no easy way to raise the opto as it is attached directly to the ramp. At this point I called Chaz at Stern, explained the problem, and asked if he knew of a way to raise these optics. He did not and suggested write a email and send pictures so he could forward to engineering.
However, once I got off the phone and realized there was not going to be an easy way to raise the optics, I started to think of other solutions. What I came up with is not elegant, but it works.
I covered the bottom half of the opto with tape.(see tape on ramp in the pictures below). This effectively raised the optics without physically moving it.
Now when in switch mode, i could raise the ball about 1/4 to half an inch off the ramp and the opto would still engage.
I then tested in game. Now, once the Trex opens her mouth to start a Trex mode, 100% of the shots to the ramp are recognized(starting the Trex event) and she grabs the ball about 80% - 90% of the time.
This is obviously not a permanent solution, but will work until I think of something else or Stern gets back to me.
hope this helps!

14A5553F-04F7-48F5-BF50-8B15ACFAA3A3 (resized).jpeg14A5553F-04F7-48F5-BF50-8B15ACFAA3A3 (resized).jpeg85BA646D-BC7C-4F44-A03B-A6C86BA748AF (resized).jpeg85BA646D-BC7C-4F44-A03B-A6C86BA748AF (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from VindictiveX:

Hey guys,
I posted this in the JP owners thread and it has solved some of their their T-Rex issues.

Thanks VindictiveX for the post, I had the same issue. I found the problem happened after cleaning the playfield which would have caused the ball to move quicker and get more air hitting the ramp.

I also added some tape and it works 100% of the time now.

Thanks again, your very smart to work this out.

tape (resized).jpgtape (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

This worked for me too, thanks so much for sharing! It was frustrating when I had to ignore the Trex toy because of rejections.

1 month later
#4 4 years ago

Hi guys,

I got JP premium for like one month or so.

I got the problem with T-rex not grabbing the balls for events.

I checked pictures in this topic but my ramp is a bit different. Do you guys think I should also cover the opto part with some tape?

I assume the ramp now has this metal plate to cover it - or I m wrong?

By the way: anyone encounter problem with two balls adding to plunger? If so do you know any solution?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

t-rex ramp (resized).jpgt-rex ramp (resized).jpgtrex ramp (resized).jpgtrex ramp (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from polandplaypinbal:

Hi guys,
I got JP premium for like one month or so.
I got the problem with T-rex not grabbing the balls for events.
I checked pictures in this topic but my ramp is a bit different. Do you guys think I should also cover the opto part with some tape?
I assume the ramp now has this metal plate to cover it - or I m wrong?
By the way: anyone encounter problem with two balls adding to plunger? If so do you know any solution?
Thanks in advance
Andrew[quoted image][quoted image]

So the metal plate you have on your ramp is supposed to fix the issue. I bough my premium several months ago and after ongoing issues with my T-Rex not grabbing the ball, I contacted Stern, and they shipped me (for free) what they called a kit to fix the issue. I was excited thinking they finally had a solution. Turns out, the 'kit' they sent me was that metal cover you have on your ramp (guess they are putting them on the newer ones coming out). But just like you pointed out, it doesn't fix the issue. I'm on the fence as to whether it actually made it worse. Sometimes I nail the shot right into his mouth, and he doesn't even think about eating the ball. Just comes right back out (and sometimes drains, which really pisses me off).

Really getting aggravated with this whole situation. That was one of the main reasons I bought the Premium over the Pro, but with the low % of time the TREX eats the ball, not only does it affect the overall gameplay experience / scoring, but it's just bad business they can't seem to fix this problem.

I did see a new code drop just released that has some TREX adjustments, including some that appear to allow you to just disable the ball eating feature (maybe this is their solution to the problem?). Anyone know what to adjust with the new code to try and tweak the @$#% TREX to eat the balls?

3 years later
#6 5 months ago
Quoted from BryanBPH:

So the metal plate you have on your ramp is supposed to fix the issue. I bough my premium several months ago and after ongoing issues with my T-Rex not grabbing the ball, I contacted Stern, and they shipped me (for free) what they called a kit to fix the issue. I was excited thinking they finally had a solution. Turns out, the 'kit' they sent me was that metal cover you have on your ramp (guess they are putting them on the newer ones coming out). But just like you pointed out, it doesn't fix the issue. I'm on the fence as to whether it actually made it worse. Sometimes I nail the shot right into his mouth, and he doesn't even think about eating the ball. Just comes right back out (and sometimes drains, which really pisses me off).
Really getting aggravated with this whole situation. That was one of the main reasons I bought the Premium over the Pro, but with the low % of time the TREX eats the ball, not only does it affect the overall gameplay experience / scoring, but it's just bad business they can't seem to fix this problem.
I did see a new code drop just released that has some TREX adjustments, including some that appear to allow you to just disable the ball eating feature (maybe this is their solution to the problem?). Anyone know what to adjust with the new code to try and tweak the @$#% TREX to eat the balls?

Hi BryanBPH sorry to botter you may ask you if you fixed the problem and how? I have the exact same issue and the game is just 4 weeks old

2 months later
#7 3 months ago
Quoted from dutchi:

Hi BryanBPH sorry to botter you may ask you if you fixed the problem and how? I have the exact same issue and the game is just 4 weeks old

Hi new owner as well with a May 2023 Premium build with the same issue. I also have the newer metal plate. Any luck?

2 months later
#8 31 days ago

I got a service call for the exact same thing.
The ramp opto is intermittent.
The T-REX does not eat the ball.

#9 30 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I got a service call for the exact same thing.
The ramp opto is intermittent.
The T-REX does not eat the ball.

Are we sure it's the opto and not the magnet? I think I had a similar issue around when I first got my machine in September, but I just increased the T-rex magnet strength by like 5 or 10% and it seems to work fine now (unless I don't hit the ball hard enough to go all the way into the mouth).

#10 24 days ago
Quoted from sllerts:

Are we sure it's the opto and not the magnet? I think I had a similar issue around when I first got my machine in September, but I just increased the T-rex magnet strength by like 5 or 10% and it seems to work fine now (unless I don't hit the ball hard enough to go all the way into the mouth).

Any one know what the setting is to increase the T-rex magnet strength? i am not seeing it.

#11 23 days ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Any one know what the setting is to increase the T-rex magnet strength? i am not seeing it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
Salida, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-t-rex-not-grabbing-ball-consistently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.