Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hbpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I spent some time troubleshooting a Flight 2000 over the last 2 days. The sounds work fine but no speech was working.

There was also a problem with the all of displays strobing, so that problem was tackled first. When I was jiggling the display-related wires around, it was almost like the thing that refreshes the displays got "stuck" on a digit, or just a comma, then jiggle around some more and it could proceed but still strobing, very weird. I also tried taking out individual displays by unplugging them. When I unplugged Player 2, they all actually went blank! I stopped after player 2 and re-plugged all displays back in. After testing the rectifier test points which were normal (except for TP4 which is important later), I decided to swap MPU boards to an Altek and then the displays were all back to normal. However, no change for speech problem.

As a side note, it seems like the Altek MPU mounting location, one of the header pins connector is just in the perfect spot so intereferes with a large heat sink on the SB-300 sound board, that's annoying.

Verified dipswitch 17 set to on, at some point, all dipswitches were set to match the old MPU.

Swapped in a difefrent Lamp Driver board, no change to speech. Keep in mind, the VSU-100 speech board connects to lamp driver. Returned original lamp driver board.

Swapped in a working VSU-100 from Stern Lightening, no change to speech

Tested original F2k VSU-100 in Lightening, it works correctly (heard speech at beginning of game).

Swapped in a SB-300 sound board of unknown condition from a project Stern Cheetah. I had to do a mod where I run an extra wire on the back of the SB-300 to enable speech, ran this wire. Reference : http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Stern_SB-300_Sound_Board_Modification_for_VSU-100_Usage

Again got all sounds but no speech

Also the Cheetah sound board was swapped in using it's current ribbons from Cheetah

Now, keep in mind the VSU100 speech board connects to the SB-300 with multiple connectors and also to the lamp driver

So I suspected that those connectors might be the issue and thought about re-pinning.

However it was noticed that all GI was off in the game. (not sure why this wasn't noticed sooner!) Also the schmematic for VSU-100 says J3-1 GEN ILL.. (side question: why isn't there a GI Return on the schematic?)

Checked fuse F5 on rectifier and it was bad. Speech and GI now works after changing this GI fuse!

So lesson learned, if you have sound but no speech on a classic Stern, double check that GI is working.

Looking back on the problem, I probably should have tested TP3 earlier on VSU-100 in the troubleshooting process to get to a quicker solution. Without looking at the VSU-100 schematic, I simply tested the pins on EPROM chip on the board and got 5 or 6 volts and just assumed the board had proper power supplied to it. However that is obviously not the case.

Now I am left with fixing the orginal MPU board with the strobing displays. As a first step, I swapped U10 and U11 PIA chips to see if the problem could be bad PIA chip.

#2 7 years ago

I have also had the speech fail with the G I fuse. Got out the sound board schematic and looks like G I is used to set up a squarewave maybe to sync the speech. Maybe to enable the board. I didn't dig any deeper.

1 year later
#3 5 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a Flight 2000 and got sound but no speech. Where is this fuse you speak of?

#4 5 years ago

Actually I get blips of speech when I first turn it on. In the settings I get some number counting.

#5 5 years ago

Fixed it. Switch was off on the MPU.

9 months later
#6 4 years ago

I just fixed the speech in my flight 2000. The speech went out. Next I noticed 1/2 of the gi bulbs in the back box were out. 3 days later all gi bulbs in the backbox were out. Then I read speech and gi volts are linked. gi bulbs on playfield and all fuses are good. I looked at the wire that supply gi volts in the backbox. red and orange. i looked at the connector in the backbox. I looked under the playfield to the rectifier board which supplies gi volts to the backbox at the red and orange wires. the connector was burned on those 2 pins. I replaced just those 2 molex pins. Now my machine works great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 125.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-sounds-work-but-no-speech-in-flight-2000-crazy-solution?hl=hbpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.