(Topic ID: 12914)

Fixed one problem and another surfaces. Slam tilt resets on the Getaway.

By sixsixtie

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by sixsixtie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1.jpg
#1 12 years ago

So I fixed my supercharger problem. First real fix. But my buddy had been playing with the board out for a while and he said he was getting random resets (it's stored at his place I get out a couple times a week). So when I got over there I fixed the SC. Fired up a few games. Everytime I'd get in the zone I'd get a slam tilt out of no where. I know for a fact I didnt actually slam tilt. I wasnt even nudging etc at the time. It'd just slam tilt. It seemed to me like it was always when it was in the pop bumpers.

Anyone have any ideas before I start running throught the pinwiki resets section?

#2 12 years ago

I'd start with the Slam tilt switch personally. Maybe the contacts are only like a hair's width apart.

I don't know much about diagnosing resets though.

#3 12 years ago

Oh shit forgot to mention. Unplugged the bottom cabinet slam tilt. Still slam tilts. The one on the coin door I bent so far apart its literally impossible to slam tilt. So definitely not either of the switches.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

It seemed to me like it was always when it was in the pop bumpers.

It sounds like the common WPC reset issue with BR and Caps,But I would first locate the slam tilt switch on the switch matrix chart in the manual.Put the game in switch test and activate each switch that is in the same row as the tilt switch on the chart and see if any of them trigger multiple switches.You might have a bad/faulty diode or a loose wire on one of those switches.

#5 12 years ago

Sorry. Just want to make sure so I can be extra focused next time I go out.
But I should go through and test all of these switches in single switch mode and if any of them activate two switches then that's the problem?

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

Sorry. Just want to make sure so I can be extra focused next time I go out.
But I should go through and test all of these switches in single switch mode and if any of them activate two switches then that's the problem?

That's correct,Test each one all the way across the chart in Switch test to see if each switch registers properly.

#7 12 years ago

I'll bet it's that top jet. if you say it happens in the pop bumpers.

#8 12 years ago

If we listen to the symptoms carefully, it is clear this is definitely not a standard wpc reset problem. The game is not power resetting. It is not a BR2 or whatever problem. Instead, the slam tilt is triggering and a slam tilt game reset is occurring. This is the report we are given. The two are extremely different and diagnosing the two problems are totally different.

If it is a slam tilt reset problem, I would physically disconnect both slam tilts just like you did. Next, I would run a switch test and trigger pop bumpers and every switch and see if any of them also trigger slam tilt. If so, you can trace it via normal switch matrix debug. Could be a bad diode, bad u20, etc. the switch test is really your friend here.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I would first locate the slam tilt switch on the switch matrix chart in the manual.Put the game in switch test and activate each switch that is in the same row as the tilt switch on the chart and see if any of them trigger multiple switches.You might have a bad/faulty diode or a loose wire on one of those switches.

Already mentioned look above

Quoted from markmon:

If we listen to the symptoms carefully, it is clear this is definitely not a standard wpc reset problem. The game is not power resetting. It is not a BR2 or whatever problem. Instead, the slam tilt is triggering and a slam tilt game reset is occurring. This is the report we are given. The two are extremely different and diagnosing the two problems are totally different.

If it is a slam tilt reset problem, I would physically disconnect both slam tilts. Next, I would run a switch test and trigger pop bumpers and every switch and see if any of them also trigger slam tilt. If so, you can trace it via normal switch matrix debug. Could be a bad diode, bad u20, etc. the switch test is really your friend here.

#10 12 years ago

The problem seems to be in the Streetlight targets in the pop bumper section. When the lock is lit, and i press the green light target, it slam tilts 100% of the time.

sincerely the guy who has sixsixtie's machine at his place.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from CoupDeTat:

The problem seems to be in the Streetlight targets in the pop bumper section. When the lock is lit, and i press the green light target, it slam tilts 100% of the time.
sincerely the guy who has sixsixtie's machine at his place.

So switch 51 triggers switch 21? But only if lock is lit? I think if it were a diode / wiring problem it would trigger all the time with lock lot or not. You verified this in switch test mode by pressing switch 51 and seeing 21 trigger? You see only 21 trigger or you see 51 and 21? Or more? Might be a bad row chip U18 on your CPU board or even U20.

If you can reproduce it in switch test mode, I would remove the switch wiring connectors from the CPU board and manually short the switch 51 row/col and see if the sw21 triggers then. This eliminates playfield wiring.

Of course I have enough games that I usually swap CPU board from another game to eliminate the wiring but you may not have such a luxury.

#12 12 years ago

Ok so I was just on the phone with CDT. He was in the switch edges test and he says when he presses the top green it flashes Green/red before going to green/black. So that's definitely the problem. But he says that during game play you can press 51 all day and it won't slam tilt UNLESS lock is lit.

#13 12 years ago

Could this at all have to do with my up/down ramp too? Its always been going up and down when lock is activated. (lock being activated is the same precurser to the slam tilt reset)

A while back I noticed a real hodge podge diode on the up/down switch. I replaced the diode but it didn't fix the ramp problem and now Im questioning if I got the polarity right.

Could either of these issues be related?

#14 12 years ago

Sounds like classic switch matrix issue, start with the same row and column the slam tilt is on, then move onto other switches.

Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, short to switch wiring.

LTG

#15 12 years ago

Yeah but thing is its never had the problem before so how can it all of a sudden be a switch wired wrong? And the only diode I've ever touched was on the up/down ramp.

#16 12 years ago

Did you test any diodes on those switches with a meter?There is one switch that is an opto on the same row as the Tilt switch,Did that opto register in switch test?

#17 12 years ago

Yes I just replaced it to fix the supercharger problem I was having. SC now works fine. I havent been out to check the diodes on the other switches.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

Yeah but thing is its never had the problem before so how can it all of a sudden be a switch wired wrong? And the only diode I've ever touched was on the up/down ramp.

It could be a transistor failing. That's why other switches in the row will trigger the wrong event.

#19 12 years ago

Bit of an update. Got a chance to go out there today. I'm definitely going to have to have someone come in. In over my head just can't figure it out.

Basically the only thing I figured out for sure is that if the ramp is in the down position as soon as you press the top green it slam tilts. But the ramp HAS to be in the down position. I have no idea how or why it's related because it seems like it's in a different column on the matrix but it slam tilts 100% of the time when the ramp is down and top green is pressed and 0% of the time when the ramp is up.

Outside of that I'm basically lost.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from sixsixtie:

Bit of an update. Got a chance to go out there today. I'm definitely going to have to have someone come in. In over my head just can't figure it out.
Basically the only thing I figured out for sure is that if the ramp is in the down position as soon as you press the top green it slam tilts. But the ramp HAS to be in the down position. I have no idea how or why it's related because it seems like it's in a different column on the matrix but it slam tilts 100% of the time when the ramp is down and top green is pressed and 0% of the time when the ramp is up.
Outside of that I'm basically lost.

The ramp down triggers a switch, which one? What is its row/col compared to slam tilt? Is it somewhere in column 5? (52, 53, 54 etc)? Or column 2 (22, 23, 24 etc)? Sounds to me like a diode related issue. Perhaps you bent the a diode to short across a switch pin or such while you were installing the new part.

#21 12 years ago

Nah didn't do that because the SC fix was above the playfield. The ramp doesn't trigger the reset. The top green does but only if the ramp is in the down position. Also diodes seem fine on the ramp and the top green.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 20.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-one-problem-and-another-surfaces-slam-tilt-resets-on-the-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.