(Topic ID: 17563)

Fixed Lamp Problem on TAF... Almost. More help needed.

By lordnorth

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by lordnorth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lordnorth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

For anyone following my previous lamp posting, I did get it figured out. Previous owner wired to the wrong lug on the Shoot Again lamp - the diode was completely out of the circuit.

But I found out this was only part of my problem.

My lamps on row 3 and row 6 seem to be tied together. For example when I test lamp 13, lamp 16 also comes on. When I test 16, 13 also comes on.

This is the case for 23/26, 33/36, 43/46, 53/56 etc.

When I unplug the molex from the light connection board underneath the mansion, the problem goes away. Plug it in and the problem is back. I figure this is telling me something, but I don't know what.

I don't know how to test it with a meter since I keep getting readings even from sockets that are not turned on. (Don't completely understand the way the matrix works either, obviously...)

Anyone that can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Chris

#3 11 years ago

I don't *see* one anywhere, but would a reversed diode on one of the other lamps act like this? When I pull the plug from the light board it fixes the problem. This is exactly what happened before with the Shoot Again lamp.... when I pulled the bulb out it fixed the problem so I figured out that problem was with that particular lamp - being wired wrong.

How does that translate when it is a BOARD that is giving me trouble? No diodes there that could be backwards. Could a backward diode on another lamp cause this?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

See if there is any solder drips or other shorts on the mansion lamp board. I would look closely at the 9Mil lamp as that is the only mansion lamp on both the 3 and 6 rows.
I would test the transistors which control the Rows and columns. They are TIP102 and TIP107s. Q83-Q98 on the driver board. Easy to do but difficult to explain.
Row 3 is Q88, Row 6 is Q85.
You will need a wire with aligator clip on each end, spare 1n4004 diode and a black twist lamp socket and bulb from the playfield.
Do you have the WPC pinrepair doc? If not, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Seal,

Yep you sent this to me when I was having the problem with the other lamp. I did the "quick and dirty" test on the TIP102's (test for continuity blade to ground) and everything came up good. I am afraid to go any farther on the testing because I don't think I can get my probe in without shorting something, so I am hitting everything else first.

On the other problem the last owner had wired onto lug that runs right into the top of the socket instead of the the middle lug, dioded over to the upper lug. That was causing my Column 7 problem. I feel it is probably something like that again since it is exactly the same symptoms. When the mansion board is unplugged everything works exactly as it should... That kind of indicates to me that it is NOT a transistor problem, but rather a wiring problem under the pf.

Another member on RGP suggested testing the diodes on the light board. I will do that when I get home, but the fact that it has the problem whether or not the lamp is currently installed (but then stops when the board is unplugged) makes me feel like the problem has to be either on the board or in the pins.

I just don't know how to test it with a meter since every wire under the pf seems to be hot to some degree all the time.

There has to be something simple (like the wires on the wrong lugs) that I am missing here, I just don't know what it is...

#6 11 years ago

FIXED MY PROBLEM! Thanks for all of your help everyone!

New thread can be found at http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-lamps-work-lamps-work-lamps-work-lamps-work

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 159.00
$ 1,159.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lordnorth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixed-lamp-problem-on-taf-almost-more-help-needed?tu=lordnorth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.