(Topic ID: 49321)

fix cupped inserts without clearing whole playfield?

By ccotenj

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

Fill cupped inserts with 2 part auto clear.

Sand them before they fully harden.

Usually heat does not un-cup them for long, because without the reinforcement of the jeweling, they sag again.

Note that even NOS playfields often have cupped inserts, so you can't blame the lights for melting them...

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from nick-the-greek:

You could try these, might be an easy way. Scroll down to cupped insert discs.
    http://www.oldpinballs.com/store.html

Does that work?

How does it look?

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

thanks vid... in reference to the auto clear, i know that's really nasty stuff to spray, can i do the "fill" method you outline without poisoning myself?

Get a chem respirator ($25 at Home Depot), gloves, and even a Tyvek bunny suit ($9.99 at Home Depot) if you want to be really careful.

Do it outside if you really don't want to buy the respirator, but really you should wear one even when using rattle cans, so get one anyway.

Level the playfield. Use a glass eyedropper, and clean it with Lacquer thinner when you are done.

#14 10 years ago

Here is PinballDude using 2 part auto clear to level inserts with no chem respirator (not recommended), but you can see how he does it.

He sprays it with just a dust mask too (really not recommended).

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

I use aluminum bar stock the same size as the insert and an aluminum block. Heat the insert from underneath with a heat gun on high until VERY warm. Hold the block firmly on top of the insert and push up/wiggle/twist from below with the bar stock. Works great. In fact I am thinking of producing kits with various sizes and the block. PM me if interested.

But doesn't it just sag again in a year or so?

I have never been able to simply mold them flat again and have them stay flat.

The auto clear reinforces them.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

it's my understanding that the autoclears dry/harden reasonably quickly... should i sand within 24 hours? or less time/longer time?

Depending on the speed of the hardener, maybe a few hours.

If you wait too long, it becomes much harder to sand.

Practice on a scrap of varnished wood with a dent from a ball peen hammer. You'll quickly get it.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

What do yo mean "sag?" The inserts I am doing are cupped due to years of ball wear. They are not actually "sagging."

Even New Old Stock playfields of old Williams and Bally games often have cupped inserts.

They have never been used, so ball wear did not cup them.

They cupped because the cheap plastic is thin.

Latter on, most inserts had "jeweling" (those plastic rays on the back of the inserts) that reinforced the insert face and kept it from cupping or sagging.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fix-cupped-inserts-without-clearing-whole-playfield?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.