Offering my RZSSI experience since there aren’t many first hand reports and where else you going to find this stuff? You will likely find the initial setup to be long winded and boring. Conversely, gameplay portion is probably too generic and short on details or strategy. But this is my adventure and I will break into a couple of posts.
INITIAL SETUP -
Wire gate was bent and restricted from opening by the plastic surrounding its top edge. This is kind of a big deal if you can't plunge the ball. I removed the bolts that secured the impacted plastic and lifted it out of the way. Straightened the wire gate wire and it works for now. This was compounded by a mangled wire actuator on the shooter lane switch/ When a ball was plunged, it would bounce off the back side of wire gate and roll back slowly down the shooter lane, before coming to rest. Often the ball wedged between wire actuator and auto launch stop. When this happened, on your very next plunge the ball would bounce backwards over the auto lunch stop and land on top the shooter rod. I later learned the ball could even end up inside the cabinet ... scary stuff. Spooky is sending a replacement wire gate and shooter lane switch that should fix these items for good. I wish they would add a horizontal piece to the shooter lane gauge to prevent a ball from leaving the game.
Day 1 - Fired up the game and was immediately struck by the great looking color dmd. It’s so pretty I am lulled into playing some games. Noticing erratic behavior and modes aren’t behaving as expected. Plunger is trying repeatedly to launch balls into shooter lane unsuccessfully. Balls are getting stuck and resting against switches. Sling shots are firing at will. Emails to Spooky Charlie are answered and some things are explained. I request a phone number because using emails to describe stuff is not very effective and often leads to miscommunication. Looks like emails will have to suffice. Adjusted rollover switches so a ball could pass in both directions as sometimes they were getting jammed in one direction due to how they were set. I used a leaf adjustment tool I already had and sometimes found myself adjusting the same switch 2 or 3 times to get it right. Game is working better but is still experiencing problems. Wanted to apply mylar protectors to the virgin playfield, but the sheet was not stamped through and after removing protective layer, I could not remove individual decals. Lot’s more stuff happened but these were the big items. Emotions - frustrated and feeling kind of stupid. Total investment - 4 hours.
Day 2 - Back to game in afternoon. Decided stuck switches are causing many of my problems so my goal is to use the switch test to chase down and fix problems. Couple of switches are closed and I can’t locate them. Emails to Charlie gets a switch matrix sent. I know what a rollover switch is and had adjusted those topside. I know what a slingshot switch blade is and had adjusted those topside too. Now I learned that a pop bumper has a leaf switch that must be adjusted from the bottom side of pf. With those done, I decided at that moment - any time the game acted erratically, I would stop playing and immediately go into switch test to resolve. This proved to be a good idea and I felt stupid for not thinking of it yesterday. After a few more switch adjustments, I think they are all fixed for good. Changed menu settings to enable infection on all modes. Was able to start one round of infection and it is a blast. Then I blew a 3A fuse and had to hunt a replacement. Installed one and promptly turned infection modes off. Guess this didn’t get fixed with v10 code yet. Emotions - fingers crossed all switches have been fixed and that cause of blown fuse was from running infection modes. Went to bed tired. Total investment - 6 hours.
Day 3 - Got up and ready for work. Prepared freshfruit parfait and put it in a glass and take it with me. As I head out the door, my wife asks what I am doing. So I answer that I am planning to eat this on the way to work, what do you think I am doing? She said,” It’s Sunday today, you don’t work. Maybe you’ve been focusing on one thing too much and need a break”. She was right. It was Sunday, but I didn’t need a break, what I needed was some RZ. Today, all day the game switches worked fine and the fuse held - so I was able to finally enjoy playing the game. Emotions - feeling pretty smart and feel a heightened sense of attractiveness to the opposite sex. Total investment - 6 hours of bliss.
This is when I decided to chronicle my experience so others might avoid the same pitfalls. I don’t know why my game had so many switch alignment problems, but it did. My advice to saving yourself hours of unnecessary effort and frustration is to suggest you have a leaf switch tool and printed switch matrix handy and that you remove the playfield glass before even powering the game on. Find the test switch menu and test each switch. Watch switches open and close on the matrix. Hunt down and squash any unexpected switches that are closed. Then start playing the and check the switch matrix often until errors are adjusted and stabilized.