big-wheel-1.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 9.48.29 PM.png
WOZ.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 10.19.24 PM.png
z9u0-1432440021-38698-full.jpg
There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 9 years ago

I was 178lbs this morning when I woke up, cracked the 180 barrier with a large breakfast!

#302 9 years ago

I'm exploring my options to get in better shape. I joked a bit early in this thread but I have been 240 for awhile now. Enough is enough fatty. Starting NOW, stop smoking (again) and no pop. Tired of being tired and I have developed a "fat guy waddle". Pump me up guys!

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I'm exploring my options to get in better shape. I joked a bit early in this thread but I have been 240 for awhile now. Enough is enough fatty. Starting NOW, stop smoking (again) and no pop. Tired of being tired and I have developed a "fat guy waddle". Pump me up guys!

Welcome to the club! If you've ever been to a pinball show, you know that we pinheads are obsessed with physical fitness, so you're in the right place. To start, I'd suggest getting yourself amped up and really overdoing it on your first workout. After you injure yourself, visit your doctor and ask if your heart is healthy enough for exercise (and/or sex).

#304 9 years ago

Rule one... Cut out bread and flour products
Rule two... Protein fruit smoothie for breakfast and lunch. Lots of veggies. Chicken, pork and fish are good, but limit beef.

I've seen guys in the gym for years and wonder why they never change. Yeah, they're strong, but their diet is crap. There's muscle there, but you'll never have definition when muscle is hiding under a layer of fat.

I believe it's 70% diet and 30% gym. It's a life style choice.

#305 9 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I believe it's 70% diet and 30% gym. It's a life style choice.

I'd say 70% activity and 30% diet. myself and friends can ride the hell out of our bikes (across town, single track). walk to work, take the stairs, do whatever isn't lazy. I/we can live off of mostly gluten (bread and pasta) and more gluten (coors and coors light). I don't concern myself with calories or fat as I am active enough to work it off daily. I've been at 150 lbs my entire life mostly and I'm in my late 30's. I have never been a member of a gym and do not lift weights (unless pins count). Cardio is the number one key factor in life. muscle tone comes naturally with staying active (walking/riding bikes/whatever hobbies you may enjoy). I don't need to look like a beefcake to be toned and healthy.

#306 9 years ago

I've never really had a problem with weight gain or feeling sluggish

#308 9 years ago

Rough day physically today. Failed to meet my goals for squats and bench. Got my shit together and knocked out my barbell row and some good isolation exercises too. Gotta have the mental toughness to get through a day like today.

#309 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I'd say 70% activity and 30% diet. myself and friends can ride the hell out of our bikes (across town, single track). walk to work, take the stairs, do whatever isn't lazy. I/we can live off of mostly gluten (bread and pasta) and more gluten (coors and coors light). I don't concern myself with calories or fat as I am active enough to work it off daily. I've been at 150 lbs my entire life mostly and I'm in my late 30's. I have never been a member of a gym and do not lift weights (unless pins count). Cardio is the number one key factor in life. muscle tone comes naturally with staying active (walking/riding bikes/whatever hobbies you may enjoy). I don't need to look like a beefcake to be toned and healthy.

And I'm positive your results would be better without bread and pasta. Food is key! U won't know if u don't try taking these out of your diet and comparing blood work and recovery from workouts and strength gains. Cant just say, I ride a bike around so I'm healthy. I race Cat 1 mtn bikes and have faster times than 10 yrs ago and way better blood work results by diet changes. Keep up the riding! and enjoy life!

#310 9 years ago

hit 50 push-ups tonight!

#311 9 years ago

The local gym usually plays either Classic Vinyl or Rewind on Sirius XM. It was on Vinyl the other day and I saw some strange looks when Dynamo Hum by Zappa was played.

#312 9 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

The local gym usually plays either Classic Vinyl or Rewind on Sirius XM. It was on Vinyl the other day and I saw some strange looks when Dynamo Hum by Zappa was played.

This sounds sweet - my gym plays horrible bubble gum pop techno remixes. Makes my ears bleed.

#313 9 years ago

This guy turned his garage into a sweet home gym:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3btyzo/home_gym_completed_in_6_months_beginning_to_end/

http://imgur.com/a/lrFPS

I don't think I could do this over car protection, even if it was an easy process.

1 week later
#314 9 years ago

fitness bump...hows everyone coming along?

I recently got a titan hd power rack and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a budget friendly rack.

http://www.titan.fitness/hd-power-rack.html

#315 9 years ago

never been into the power racks, altho some friends have them.

much prefer the standalone, smith machines/ cable crossovers, and squat racks. yes takes up more room, which i actually dont have, but i like it that way.

#316 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Have you tried one of these? Will change your life forever.
101659725-somers.530x298.jpg

Yes, I have tried a hot blonde. Married her, actually, and she has helped me burn a bunch of calories. Sometimes she has to be sauced first. On rare occasions it's her idea.

OP, I am 5'9" and high 170s. I hit 169 once in my old age, as a vegan. Trying to get there again as a meat-eater, but the 170s are hellishly sticky.

Ramping up to my old workouts, Tried a chinup for the first time in eons a few weeks ago. Managed 1. Doing better, but a long way to go for the 20-something count. Just bought a speed bag. Anybody know where I can find a height-adjustable, speed-bag-only (ie no punching bag) stand?

3 weeks later
#317 8 years ago
Quoted from trudert9:

fitness bump...hows everyone coming along?
I recently got a titan hd power rack and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a budget friendly rack.

Tear it up and let us know how its going! HOT! down here in AZ so I cut back on cycling and been doing Crossfit at the wifes gym. Crossfit has been a blast and kicking my butt. So nice to not be sitting on the bike roasting in the sun, we have had 115 degree days. Keep up the good work fellas!

1 month later
#318 8 years ago
Quoted from trudert9:

further review:

Overall, its a well built piece of equipment. Heavy duty steel, good welds. I had read some other reviews that people said the holes didn't line up quite right, but I didn't have an issue with that.

Two negatives that I have with it:
1. Its not very deep. If you have weights racked on the sides they will get in the way .
2. No knurl on the pull up bar. This is more of a personal preference I suppose. I just taped it with some hockey tape and it was good to go.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 and would buy again.

#319 8 years ago

On another note, today was leg day! Woohoo! I spent the last few weeks running more and cutting carbs trying to shed a few pounds. Lost a good amount of strength but it felt good today. I'll be hurting tomorrow though for sure. If anyone else has a bodyspace profile look me up. Same username as here.

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from trudert9:

On another note, today was leg day! Woohoo! I spent the last few weeks running more and cutting carbs trying to shed a few pounds. Lost a good amount of strength but it felt good today. I'll be hurting tomorrow though for sure. If anyone else has a bodyspace profile look me up. Same username as here.

Ive been slacking a little on fitness/eating good as summer got Fugging busy with work/parties/kids off school.....still hitting the gym classes all week, looking forward to halloween when my work schedule slows to fire back into it.

3 weeks later
#321 8 years ago

I weighed in the other day, 70 pounds down. A friend of mine interviewed me for his podcast. You can find it here:
http://www.gardenfork.tv/how-mike-lost-50-pounds-gf-radio

I've started working on some body weight exercises and I was hoping for technique advice.

Planks: Am I better off doing one long plank as long as I can hold it? Or am I better off doing 3 - 5 reps of 20 - 30 seconds?

Push-ups: Similar question. I've started doing them. I do them until I fail. Then I go on to my knees until I fail. And then I get up in position and slowly lower to the floor until I fail. Any advice on these or am I good to go until I can rip of 30 of them without a problem?

Biceps: Any advice on working them without any equipment? I'm still 270 and pull-ups are still beyond me. Any other ideas?

#322 8 years ago

Personally, I'd take each rep of a body weight only exercise to failure. Start out w/ 3 sets of each and do them as a circuit- plank to failure, then immediately start push ups to failure. Rest 30-45 seconds and start again. There really aren't any body weight exercises for biceps-check craigslist for some cheap dumbbells. You can also do chair dips or muscle ups for triceps, body weight squats, and burpees for a total body workout. Keep up the good work!

#323 8 years ago

I recently started the "Lose it challenge" at our Y just to get back into the swing of things, had a great week except sunday turned into pizza/Mikes hard beverage day....ooops.

Back down to 186lbs today from a chubby 193lbs last week, I did a "somewhat heavy" chest/tricep lift last friday and was sore until today! LOL!

I blame football season.

#324 8 years ago

The lighter you get the easier it's going to be for me to helicopter you over my head at Terry's.

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

The lighter you get the easier it's going to be for me to helicopter you over my head at Terry's.

My agility is through the roof, I'm like Spider-Man now

#326 8 years ago

It's been a few months since I posted here but I'm down 20lbs this summer. Closing in on 200lbs from a height of 228lbs this summer. I was 275 about 6 years ago, went down to 165lbs but then gained a good amount of weight after I got married, haha.

6 months later
#327 8 years ago

resurrection bump!

what kinda supplements if any you fellas taking? I was taking protein and creatine after workouts. I'm not sure if creatine has any benefits for the common pinhead. Opinions?

Now recently I switched the protein to a protein/fat burning combo deal called isoburn. I think the fat burning comes from green coffee bean extract. What that actually is I do not know. It's not a caffeine thing tho so I figured what the hell. But since switching over to it a couple weeks ago I've noticed some improvements in definition, so we'll see how it turns out.

On top of that I just take daily vitamin D, C, and fish oil due to yearly bad news my doc gives me.

#328 8 years ago

How old are you, Erik? Have you tried simply not going to the doctor?

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Have you tried simply not going to the doctor?

It's the only way I get to third base anymore!

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

It's the only way I get to third base anymore!

Once you reach 40, I hear the doctor gets to 5th base.

#331 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Welcome to the club! If you've ever been to a pinball show, you know that we pinheads are obsessed with physical fitness, so you're in the right place. To start, I'd suggest getting yourself amped up and really overdoing it on your first workout. After you injure yourself, visit your doctor and ask if your heart is healthy enough for exercise (and/or sex).

Pinside needs more Jayhawkai ! My laugh o the day right there.
After a 6 month strike, I have found my gym again. Got 4 days last week. This week,...working on day 1 still. (Hey, it was Iron Maiden week....Ive been busy.)

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Once you reach 40, I hear the doctor gets to 5th base.

It's true but if you tip generously he'll let you start a few years early

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

It's true but if you tip generously he'll let you start a few years early

Jayhonky or the doc ?

#334 8 years ago

I don't have a large enough area for either pinball or workout equipment. I managed to fit the essential equipment in here. Joker Poker, Black Knight and Black Hole along with a dumbell rack 20-60lbs, squat rack and dipping station.

2016-04-09_09-36-10_707_(resized).jpg2016-04-09_09-36-10_707_(resized).jpg

#335 8 years ago

Here's a pic of me from 3/12/16. I was having a nice shoulder pump that day.

20160312_084851_(resized).jpg20160312_084851_(resized).jpg

2 months later
#336 8 years ago

Time to get my work out on soon!!!

3 weeks later
#337 8 years ago

Bumping the thread in Flanks honour.

This year I've started taking care of myself for the first time in my 40 something years.

(except when I was in America for a month... It's hard to eat well when you're staying in a hotel and all they have is powdered "eggs" and some sort of "sausage" thing that isn't really sausage at all..)

I started off the year returning to the swimming pool, this was good exercise but didn't really have any "visual" results.

So after we got back from the States, I've been going to the gym with my wife. She lost a bunch of weight by doing Les Mills Pump for two years, which is a 60 minute long high intensity weight lifting class.

Really starting to see results now. Though the aim was to get smaller, and fit into my old clothes, I'm actually getting bigger. I build muscle really easily (endomorphic!) so my arms, shoulders and legs are getting up to Centreflank size. All my shirts are tight around the shoulders and biceps. And my jeans are tight around my calves and thighs! The belly is coming down slowly .. Good things take time.

Any other posters been keeping up with their efforts?

rd

#338 8 years ago

Started running again early this year and got quite a bit less flabby.
Ran a competitive 5K race a couple months ago for the first time in over 30 years.
Felt really good. Now I gotta stay less flabby.
Is Flank still frozen?

#339 8 years ago

I have been going to the gym most days. I started my day there today. 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes weights.

#340 8 years ago

I still do pushups, tho I abandoned the 100 pushups program and do my own thing

4 years later
#341 3 years ago

I'm grinning after seeing this will be the first new entry in this thread in 1,669 days. I came here to say I've created a Pinside Fitness club on Strava for those of us who love both pinball and activity tracking. If folks participate, our Strava club will be a glimpse into Pinsiders being active - running, biking, swimming, hiking, etc. Join and have a healthy influence on others. https://www.strava.com/clubs/pinside

torch (resized).JPGtorch (resized).JPG
There are 341 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.