(Topic ID: 54670)

Fit a Pin in Chevy HHR?

By policano

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    hhr.jpg
    hhr1.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Has anyone gotten a Pin inside a Chevy HHR? I have a 2011 HHR and would really like to take that out to pickup a pin that is several hundred miles away to save on fuel and also not worry about rain for a couple of days but I don't think it will fit. I have a full size pickup but I worry about weather.

#2 10 years ago

I can barely fit my ass in an HHR.
    But it might work?

Post edited by o-din : correctol

#3 10 years ago

HAHAHAH you and me both! They are small little cars! So good on fuel tho. Its my daily beater for back and forth to work.

#4 10 years ago

We have one but have never tried this. I measured once before a similar road trip (I think) and decided it could haul cabinet with no backbox.

I'd just take the pickup and a few good tarps. Slide a few boards under it and mummy wrap the game with multiple tarps if the weather gets bad.

#5 10 years ago

I've heard that you have to disconnect the back box and you have to slide it down so it lays on the cabinet above the lock down bar. If you do this, I heard it will barely fit in an HHR. Obviously you'd have to secure the head by wrapping the heck out of it with cling wrap or something similar, so the head doesn't get damaged along with the side rails and who knows what else.

#6 10 years ago

This might sound stupid, but can you gat a tape measure and measure one of your machines and the inside dimensions of your vehicle?

#7 10 years ago

This is mentioned in several old threads, but no, the HHR does not really work for pin hauling. As was mentioned above, you can do the trick of taking the backbox hinges off and sliding the backbox down towards the front of the game to gain just enough clearance. Different brands of games fit differently, of course, but with a 90's B/W game you have just about 1/4" of clearance when you go this route.

I've hauled about 8 pins in mine, and most times I just behead the game completely, as it's necessary later on to get them up my nasty staircase. You may just want to go that route. It's really not *that* bad once you do a few....

I love my HHR, and they are awesome on fuel. I've never even thought they were too small in any regard other than the back hatch height, but I do wish the dang windshield was taller! If you're 6' or taller, you kind of have to lean down to see. hopefully they'll correct these two things on future models....

#8 10 years ago

Ditto on backbox removal. I moved a TAF in an HHR and had to do it. The interior is large enough, problem is the rear cargo door opening is just a couple inches too small.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I moved a TAF in an HHR and had to do it. The interior is large enough, problem is the rear cargo door opening is just a couple inches too small.

Congrats on the TAF. Oddly enough, that's the latest one I brought home in the HHR.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks guys! I did measure and its so close it's hard to tell. I wish the plastic in the back was able to be removed easily.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

Thanks guys! I did measure and its so close it's hard to tell. I wish the plastic in the back was able to be removed easily.

I was not trying to be a wise ass when I mentioned the tape measure. I had to get a machine through a door once and I was just about going to make it based on measurements. I did however overlook the carriage bolts on the backbox hinge. That was just enough to make the pin not fit. Sometimes things are so close that it is hard to tell.

#12 10 years ago

I didn't think so at all. I too have been in that boat but with a couch instead of a pin. Thinking about it, I totally should have kept the money and bought another pin instead of a new couch

#13 10 years ago

Also, I never thought to put some boards down on the truck bed and with a tarp, the game will prolly be just fine. I was worried about water but with the boards under it, it will keep it off the wet spots. Hopefully lol

#14 10 years ago

"I'd just take the pickup and a few good tarps. Slide a few boards under it and mummy wrap the game with multiple tarps if the weather gets bad."

Anyone tried this mummy wrap technique? I have a 5x8 trailer but not enclosed, and would love to not shell out $100+ to uhaul. Would be driving 5 hours on Wednesday evening St. Louis to lafayette Indiana...30% chance of storms, mummy wrap in tarps plus cling wrap = safe?

#15 10 years ago

I moved BK with the head off / to the side of the cab no trouble in my hhr, as BK is meant to be moved like that

but Time Machine was nowhere close to fitting with the head folded down, even though measurement seemed close..it was too tall by about 3 or 4 inches, so I had to remove the head which was a pita, and put the head to the side of the cab

best to make other arrangements, but if you use your hhr bring plenty of blankets and pillows to prevent things from bumping/sliding

Bob C

2 months later
    3 weeks later
    #17 10 years ago

You gotta take the head off completely? Can't you slide it down some or no? Does it take a lot to remove the backbox on a newer game like that?

#18 10 years ago

PT Cruiser for the win!

#19 10 years ago

head must come off, took me 5 minutes to detach the stern head. l also did the same with a strange science. I've wondered if going in coin door first, and rear panel floor removed if it would just dip down enough to fit as one piece...

I have a Chevy Tahoe, which moves a pin fine, but i'd rather get twice the gas mileage in the hhr if it only means taking 5 minutes to remove the head box,

#20 10 years ago

Totally! I'm taking my HHR to Expo! I don't wanna take expensive truck

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

PT Cruiser for the win!

Word. The PT is surprisingly great for pin hauling.

#22 10 years ago

I miss my HHR, RIP That being said I fit TWO pins in that car twice! The first time, I took a wide body Gottlieb Spiderman & a Cosmic Gunfight to the Allentown Pinfest. I put the front passenger seat down flat & slid the CG cabinet all the way up to the dash (cushioned of course) then I put the Spiderman head behind that, next I turned the Spiderman cabinet on it's side & slid that behind the driver's seat. (I had to move the seat almost all the way forward which made it a little bit cramped to drive) I then put the CG head behind everything & the hatch barely closed but it fit!!

Second time was a little bit tougher. I came home from Allentown Pinfest with a Williams Solar Fire & a Premier Alien Star. I did NOT take the head off Alien Star as it just folded down on the cabinet but it was a bitch to get them both in there!! I wish I'd taken a few photos now but I did have helpers & eye witnesses!! I also have fit a Junkyard in there by doing the hinge trick & sliding the head down as previously mentioned. I loved that car for hauling pins!! I now use a Mazda CX-5

#23 10 years ago

is it the plastic in the way, or the entire opening like with the rubber gasket of the door?

#24 10 years ago

Bought a game out at EXPO and have my HHR with me and no Truck. It's a Game Plan game so we will take the head off and it should fit perfectly fine.

#25 10 years ago

Got my game I picked up in EXPO in the HHR.

Game Plan Lizard

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #26 10 years ago

I used to put a piece of carpet down underneath the game so it wouldn't slide all over on that plastic!

#27 10 years ago

yeah, mine has the factory rug thing, but l like how it slides on the plastic when you're putting it in lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fit-a-pin-in-chevy-hhr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.