65%
  • Getaway 35 votes
    35%

(101 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Fishtales Vs. The Getaway

take a second to explain your choice!!

#2 6 years ago

For me it's FT easy because I do not like HS2. To me it's not as good as HS and the supercharger does nothing for me.

FT is a classic.

#3 6 years ago

Fish tales. Funny & entertaining theme with a decent layout. Even though the lightning flippers can make it difficult, it is very approachable, especially for non-pinball folks.

The Getaway is fairly linear and is kind of a grind by comparison. The super charger is interesting the first time you see it, but it gets old after that.

#4 6 years ago

I had them both. FT is still here Getaway is gone. The video game part of FT shooting the boats is fun. The video on Getaway was not. Music on FT is one of a kind and does not get old.

Boat ramps are a blast, rock the boat and feeding frenzy are great. The monster fish shot always feels urgent.

Getaway is fun for a while but it does get old.

#5 6 years ago

Never played a HS2. FT continues to be my family’s favorite game.

#6 6 years ago

Getaway all day long. Fishtales is fun and the theme is integrated well. The shots are easy and the risk vs reward is just not there. Now, Getaway has some tight shots and has lots of risk vs reward shots...side standups, loop and middle stand up targets. The supercharger is awesome as it fits the theme perfectly. Not trying to convince anyone here that Getaway is far superior, I am just offering this pinhead's personal opinion as was requested in the poll. Play both and then choose the one you prefer...that is the only way you will know that you made the right choice.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Budfan:

Getaway all day long. Fishtales is fun and the theme is integrated well. The shots are easy and the risk vs reward is just not there.

Super jackpot isn't A huge risk/reward on fish tales?

#8 6 years ago

I like Fishtails alot ,as it seems to have a little more going on , but I have always had an unhealthy addict ion to Getaway regardless if it worked 100% or not.

#11 6 years ago

Getaway is pretty fun. Supercharger never got old for me. If it just had a few more modes it would be a top rated pin. I owned one for a few years but sold it a few months ago. It was fun to play but it was easy to get to the final wizard mode. Gets old fast in small collection. FT has more shots and things to do. It's a tough game so offers more of a challenge. Some people hate the music but I love it. Artwork is awesome and has a lot of character.

#12 6 years ago

I've never owned a High Speed, but Fish Tales is one of my favorites. Everything is seemingly simple, but so challenging to actually perform.

#13 6 years ago

Love my fish tales. Currently debating if I want to save for another pin or save to do a restore of my fish tales and pretty her up.

#14 6 years ago

Had both, sold both, miss getaway.

#15 6 years ago

IMO these games have many similarities:

- Both made in 1992
- Designed by 2 brothers (Steve Ritchie and Mark Ritchie)
- Both have a big "toy" in the middle of the playfield (Boat and Super Charger)
- The big money shot on both is the left outer loop
- Big Super Jackpots that have to be setup to get to
- Each has a great video mode
- Both have a great topper that is interactive in some way
- Somewhat similar playfield layouts...
---- big outer loops - pretty much the same on both games
---- standup banks on sides below the outer loops
---- HS2 Tunnel and FT Casters Club are very similar
- Similar multiball rules (can't just go for Jackpots right away)
---- do something to Qualify a Jackpot -> then shoot the Jackpot
---- do more stuff to Qualify for a Super Jackpot -> then shoot the Super Jackpot

I prefer Fish Tales, but think both are excellent. The one thing that bugs me about HS2 is that the upper flipper loop shot isn't worth more. It's much easier to trap up and shoot the left loop. I think it would have been better do one of the following:
- make it a 2x Jackpot (or Super Jackpot) if made from the upper flipper
- require a Super Jackpot to be made from the upper flipper

#16 6 years ago

I have both and neither are leaving.

#17 6 years ago

Your looking at the Loop champion

#18 6 years ago

FishTales is the pin I go to when I start believing I’m a good pinball player. It humbles me fairly quickly. Fun to play for sure.

#19 6 years ago

Both are great and pretty similar when you lay it out like T7 did above. I've put a lot more games on Getaway at this point and currently own a Fish Tales. I think Fish Tales gets the edge with the better art and more challenging gameplay. Flow is better on Getaway, though.

#20 6 years ago

Getaway for me all day every day just based on theme and sound... although I'll admit my Fish Tales experience is limited.

#21 6 years ago

Hard choice. Both excellent games.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

I had them both. FT is still here Getaway is gone. The video game part of FT shooting the boats is fun. The video on Getaway was not. Music on FT is one of a kind and does not get old.
Boat ramps are a blast, rock the boat and feeding frenzy are great. The monster fish shot always feels urgent.
Getaway is fun for a while but it does get old.

These are my thoughts also. I love playing my FT and don't mind playing a mates HS2 every month or so, but i would never want one.

#23 6 years ago

I've owned both and currently own my 2nd FT. I say Fish Tales, but not by much. Both are great games can't go wrong with either.

#24 6 years ago

Have had FT since April 2007, HSII since November 2011.
(The HSII was the better deal - got it for $1K because the 72 year-old owner (?!) wanted to buy a parrot - so I hope she's been giving that bird alot of crackers).

They sit side-by-side.

Interestingly, I've had many folks (mostly 30+) play FT and tell me they think it's so much fun they want to buy it. I've had several people (mostly <30) play HSII and tell me "that's cool, especially that ball looping thingy."

Neither are likely to leave anytime soon. My vote based on that and which I prefer - FT. Always a hoot. I think they should sell for more than they usually do.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

I think they should sell for more than they usually do.

I’ve been looking at Fish Tales for a few months and recently found one. They’re getting more expensive. They’ve almost doubled in value since I’ve been in the hobby.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I’ve been looking at Fish Tales for a few months and recently found one. They’re getting more expensive. They’ve almost doubled in value since I’ve been in the hobby.

I didn't really think about it, until you mentioned it, but I paid exactly double for my second Fish Tales. Purchased them 6-years apart.

#27 6 years ago

I've played both a ton and like them alot.

But if I owned them I'd play FT probably 4 to 1.

If I have good game on getaway I'm done, FT has that one more game appeal for me at least

1 month later
#28 6 years ago

Fish Tales and frankly it isn't close.

#29 6 years ago

Fish Tales all day. Beginners love it and veterans rarely have a huge game. Like most have said, easy to learn, difficult to accomplish.

2 months later
#30 6 years ago

I love both, but I have to give it to Fish Tales. I could play that one for hours.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 20.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fishtales-vs-getaway?hl=worlds_1st_ghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.