• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bodypop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch_box_(resized).jpg
Williams_1992_Fish_Tales_English_Manual_page_115.pdf (PDF preview)
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Can anyone give me a bit of advice/help with my fishtales ,3 problems I have at the minute

1. Shown in pic ,my dotmatrix is showing like that ,it was ok until I borrowed the ribbon cable ( from control board to dm ) .when I put it back it's now displaying like that .you can still see it moving from display to display ,but it's just messed up

2 .where the ball ,first goes in for multiball ,it just sticks there and only moves to reel when it does a search for ball ,it looks like something has broken off to alert the micro switch

3 . The very top whole on right ,the ball keeps getting stuck

Thanks in advance for any help

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

That looks like a ribbon cable issue to me. Maybe check that they are seated properly. Maybe try different cables.

#3 7 years ago

Your display cable is wrong connected to the pcb, the pin no 1 (Red side should be on the left). Turn around your flatcable

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Bodypop:

Can anyone give me a bit of advice/help with my fishtales ,3 problems I have at the minute
1. Shown in pic ,my dotmatrix is showing like that ,it was ok until I borrowed the ribbon cable ( from control board to dm ) .when I put it back it's now displaying like that .you can still see it moving from display to display ,but it's just messed up
2 .where the ball ,first goes in for multiball ,it just sticks there and only moves to reel when it does a search for ball ,it looks like something has broken off to alert the micro switch
3 . The very top whole on right ,the ball keeps getting stuck
Thanks in advance for any help

2. The reel mechanism uses optos, not micro switches. Wipe them off to make sure they aren't dirty and look for any broken wires. They should also be able to be tested in the test menu.
3. When you say the ball is getting stuck, is the game trying to kick it out and can't, or does it just sit there? This could either be a switch problem, or a problem with the coil. Run a switch edge test and stick a ball in the saucer to see if it registers. If a ball search doesn't kick it out then the issue is probably in the coil circuit.

#5 7 years ago

I had a problem a ways back with my reel. Popular place to have an issue turned out to be the board on the bottom of the playfield associated with the reel. The idc connector was weak and the wire was not making a good connection. Man took forever to find that. Thank you Lisa from Cadillac Music. Agree with cleaning the optos. Mine were filthy. Can't hurt going forward bibsued 91% rubbing alcohol and q tips

G

#6 7 years ago

Thanks guys ,1.
il turn they cable tomorrow.

2.the reel Does spin ,like it's out of sync or something .it does take the ball over to the reel after a few searches .does the micro switch below where the ball first goes in ,not have anything at all to do with it ?
3 .it does try and hit the ball out ,but doesn't seem to be strong enough

#7 7 years ago

If the reel seems out of sync than i would make sure the optos are clean. Have you done this? Then I would make sure the wiring that connects to the board under the playfield by the reel has good connection with the wiring. The idc style of connector can be problematic. Make sure the wires going into that connector are seated well and making good contact with the idc style connector. If you can post a video it may help all of us help you. Post it to you tube and then put a link here in your posts. This many times is very helpful

G

#8 7 years ago

1) I just had a similar issue with my DMD. If turning the cable around doesn't fix it (hopefully nothing shorted), check out his thread. Wound up being 2 bad capacitors on my DMD.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-wpc-dmd-issues

3) make sure the solenoid is pushing the ball ejector out of the slot correctly.

3 months later
#9 7 years ago

Has this been fixed? On mine I had to replace the pulley on the reel, previous owner put a screw through the pulley to make it kindof work but the bore was shot. It will break every time someone tries to turn the reel by hand. I keep a spare since they're cheap.

Part# 03-8086

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8086

#10 7 years ago

Not been fixed yet ,as I was getting another few problems
I was looking at it tonight and this doesn't look right ,does it ?the solenoid on right with sleeve hanging out a bit

I'm also still picking up mains hum from somewhere

#11 7 years ago

That's a gate, looks fine from that pic. I see rust on your ground braid and in other spots. Hum through speakers I find is usually attributed to bad ground and seeing that rust is suspect for a good cleaning. Is that a rip in your speaker at around 11 oclock? tough to tell and the cable from you switch box doesn't look like a factory install.

I'd say game is in need of a disassemble and full check out. If it was my game anyways

#12 7 years ago

Thanks for that .Il check that speaker later ,and look at the grounds
Does this look like it might cause a grounding issue too ?

#13 7 years ago

Looks a bit dark, make sure you unplug your machine if your working in the switch box. The utility outlet doesn't look grounded. Notice the Black/Green/white cable coming in, that's right from the wall pretty much. I see it's soldered to the ground lug on the line filter but I can't tell if it ends there, it shouldn't end there it must carry on. Refer to your manual page 115 "Power Wiring Diagram" . If that lug is screwed into the metal box then a ground braid running under... hmm ok but you can do better then that the entire game depends on it.

Williams_1992_Fish_Tales_English_Manual_page_115.pdfWilliams_1992_Fish_Tales_English_Manual_page_115.pdf

#14 7 years ago

Ok I just took a peek in whitewater, the ground braid needs to be attached to shiny metal. I'm no rust removal expert and I don't think it looks good on pinball machines anyways so make sure to deal with that, maybe a dremel.

switch_box_(resized).jpgswitch_box_(resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

Sorry should if said ,it's 240v as it's British machine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fishtales-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.