Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Soulrider911
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ribbon cable to reseat for DMD issues (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Hey guys i just finished restoring a fish tales and went to start it for the first time today. I do not get any lights sounds or video, i do get a power thump like most do but thats it. would love any help i have checked fuses all are good

#2 1 year ago

What is your skill level with pin repair? Double-checked all connectors? Any LED indicators on the board as described in 6.4.1?
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Power-On_LEDs_and_Sound_Tones_.28Bongs.29

#3 1 year ago

So upon startup D19 and D21 are lit solid and D20 is off. Then after about a few seconds, D19 is off D20 blinks and D21 is solid... then some of the coils fire, a few lights flash and then everything back off, and the LED indicators got back to previous state. its also blowing F116 +12V secondary 3A S.B

I should also mention this game had some wiring hackery and i have a seeming suspicion it may be the issue: see here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-wiring-harness-hackery-help

Thank you for the help

#4 1 year ago

My guess is that the game is just barely booting, and then the 5v falls too low and it resets. How's the 5v looking at the mpu?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

So upon startup D19 and D21 are lit solid and D20 is off. Then after about a few seconds, D19 is off D20 blinks and D21 is solid... then some of the coils fire, a few lights flash and then everything back off, and the LED indicators got back to previous state.

That sounds like normal LED behavior for a CPU board when booting. You can disconnect the coil connectors on the power driver board and see if the problem still persists. This *could* indicate a 5V that dips below the watchdog threshold resetting the CPU board.

its also blowing F116 +12V secondary 3A S.B

It seems more likely that this is your problem. Does this fuse blow immediately? Or only after the CPU board starts firing coils and/or operating the 12V motors?

I should also mention this game had some wiring hackery and i have a seeming suspicion it may be the issue: see here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-wiring-harness-hackery-help

I took a look at that thread and it seems like there might be a continuity problem in the GRN-BRN wire that some person connected to the cabinet portion of that wire. There are 6 switches on the GRN-BRN wire. 4 of them are trough related and 2 of them are cabinet related. It's likely there's a break somewhere in the GRN-BRN wire servicing the playfield. I don't know if you got this resolved? Perhaps you haven't as it sounds like this is your first power on since re-assembly.

#6 1 year ago

Hey dumbass thank you so much for the help so what on the boards can I disconnect to try and track down where this error is happening. I know there are a bunch of connectors i can try to disconnect and see if issues are related to a certain area. I'm still learning all the connections on the boards

#7 1 year ago

So no longer blowing the fuse... I had the wrong one in there which is why it blew it the first time. So it's powering on but constantly resets itself I know its the wire hack I removed... just dunno how to solve it... I may try to wire it back in and see if it work.

#8 1 year ago

So what's the state of the machine? Is the following accurate?

The machine powers on as described. The LEDs blink as you've described. The game probably does a ball search which involves firing solenoids and turning the ball lock motor. On firing the solenoids (either immediately or after about one second) the game then resets. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

If you want to disable the solenoids you can disconnect J130 (bunch of violet wires = high power) and J127 (bunch of brown wires = low power). You can do them simultaneously or one at a time.

If the resets continue you probably want to follow the Pinwiki guide on that subject. See the page at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets for more details.

I wouldn't bother with the wiring hack until you can get the machine stable and booting to enter test mode. It is possible though that your trough switches aren't registering due to this problem so the game does a ball search (fires a whole lot of solenoids). The solenoid firing should not cause a reset. Solve the reset problem first.

#9 1 year ago

You are correct I tried removing the connectors, no mor popping seemed like it was about to boot up normally then it shut itself off again I’ll check the pinwiki thank you so much

#10 1 year ago

I think you may have this ribbon cable one row off somewhere. Try reseating it and the shorter one between the MPU and driver board.ribbon cable to reseat for DMD issues (resized).png

#11 1 year ago

Oh took off the ribbon connector used compressed air to clean any debris that may have been in the holes and reconnected. Now I'm getting no power to the MPU board.

Last night when I said it looked like it was about to boot up normally, then it turned off, there was also a "pop" through the speakers... imagining something blew.. checked all fuses still good i do have another MPU board i could try but I'm very hesitant as if this one just got damaged i don't want to damage a second one

#12 1 year ago

Hey buddy,

Measure voltage! Let’s get a reading off all of the primary voltages on the test points on the driver board. Start there and report back.

#13 1 year ago

hey @mschonbrun which test points should i check
THank you

#15 1 year ago

All of them

2 weeks later
#16 1 year ago

update here, the driver board has some major issues that i needed a tech to solve. So now at least the game is booting up as normal, for the most part.

The problem now is none of the trough switches are registering, which now is making me think it was that hacky wiring i yanked out. seems to be either a grounding or diode issue?

The second problem is when the leftmost pop bumper switch is triggered the drop target mini coil "busses" it doesn't fire. These two may be related.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside