5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

07a800a6fccf194d8751b2b1d1a8ded2d11dac80 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChicagoPinReplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just picked up a project Fish Tales that was being tossed in the garbage. It has been folded up for the past 10 years in storage and the batteries which expired in 1999 were still in it. The holder was a bit corroded but nothing terrible and a few of the components had a bit of acid creep but not nearly as bad as I have seen in the past. It cleaned up very easily and I installed a remote holder.

Anyway when I booted the game up it of course wanted me to go into the diagnostic report. I opened the coin door and none of the diagnostic switches worked nor the coin switches. After looking for shorts I pressed the diagnostic enter switch again and the game freaked out and start adding credits and cranking the volume up and down on it's own. After pressing it again it briefly it went into the settings menu for a split second but then set the volume to zero and went back into attract mode.

With max credits added unintentionally I tried to start a game and nothing happened. So back to the coin door I went and this time around every button inside the coin door now added credits including the volume buttons. The odd thing is that sometimes the buttons respond (improperly) by adding credits and sometimes they will go completely dead. The coin switches will sometimes add credits too but only when the diagnostic switches are registering credits as well. Once in a blue moon pressing enter will go into the menus but shortly after it moves the volume up and down on it's own and then starts adding credits again for a bit.

Aside from looking for shorts I saw that the coin door switches are not part of the matrix but on a dedicated circuit. J1 and J3 on the coin door interface board connect to J205 on the CPU which are controlled by U16 and U17? I'm not sure if I'm correct there.

Pardon my ignorance but I also noticed the coin door lights go on and off with the GI in attract mode and that when the game is flipped on for the first time it appears to go through a brief ball search everytime for a few seconds. The kick out holes actuate one and the reel mechanism goes through a few cycles. I am not sure if this is normal or not for this title. All 3 balls are in the trough. Sorry for the long winded post but I did not know how to briefly describe what was going on. Thanks in advance!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yep, I had a Fishtales doing the same thing, I noticed there was battery alkaline damage on the chips below.

Any idea which components control the coin door switches? I'm seeing U16 and U17. Just trying to gauge what I may need to replace.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Start with U16 and U20 but inspect the rest and the one next to it U119, you can see the corrosion most times on the leg, and you can tell which one is damaged visually. Have you done IC chip replacements before? It's tricky, you would be better off to cut the legs off and remove them one by one with a tweezer or a small plier. Then use a solder sucker to clean up the remaining solder, lastly I use a toothpick to clean the holes. Then you want a socket installed before inserting a new chip.
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/board-rework-test/210-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage
[quoted image]

Well I replaced U16 and U17 and it will start a game now. Unfortunately the coin door is still dead and there are a few switches out now that I can get a game going. Progress but obviously the acid damage did it's due diligence. I'm going to look at u20 and u19 next. Are replacement boards available? Should I try to keep diagnosing this one?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

I contacted the seller about purchasing this but you had already beat me to it. What condition was the playfield in?

Filthy but zero wear. The further I go the more I find the acid has destroyed. Many of the traces have been destroyed. I'm probably going to just replace the CPU with a new one. Thanks for the help everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus
Playfields
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 169.00
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChicagoPinReplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-wont-start-game?tu=ChicagoPinReplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.