Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Collin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My Fish Tales that I just got (WPS Fliptronics 2) Isn't booting. I brought it home working fine, and to get it downstairs needed to disconnect the backbox (which involved removing all the connectors in there, of course.) We carefully documented where all of the connectors go with pictures, and most of them were numbered. We are fairly certain all of the connectors are in the correct places, but the game will not boot.

When it tries to boot, a few random pixels on the DMD come on. The diagnostic LEDs are D19-D21. From what I've read, D19 and D21 should come on, then D19 should turn off and D20 should begin flashing. What IS happening is this: D21 is coming on (dim) and D19 and D20 are doing nothing. Does this tell you anything?

Thanks,

Collin

#2 11 years ago

Take a break. Go over all the connectors again. Be sure they are in the right spots, facing the right direction. Ribbon cables are red stripe pin one each end and not off by a row.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Checked all the voltages. Most are within a percent, but the 50v DC is reading 72v DC.... Any thoughts on what could cause that? The source of that power should've been 51.4v AC, and is measureing way low (32v AC, I think) *edit* Per PinWiki, that should actually be a 70v circuit as seen here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC_Power.2FDriver_Board_Generations

Connectors seem to be seated correctly at this point... One Pinside member was kind enough to let me call him, and talked me through checking all the cables and what should be where. At this point, I feel fairly confident that the connectors are on correctly; we've had two people look at them a couple times.

Also worth noting, all the the fuses seem to be intact

#4 11 years ago

Also, instead of a chime to indicate the sound board is working properly, we've gotten a couple different results. We got repeated chimes once (like 13 in a row), and mostly have gotten a series of clicks or static-y sounds instead.

#5 11 years ago

Got it fixed! It was all a flaky ribbon cable!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

but the 50v DC is reading 72v DC

Always reads higher not under load.

LTG : )

#7 11 years ago

Yep! Realized that once I read the pin wiki.

Gladly, the game is working perfectly now! Many thanks to Skyemont for helping talk me and my buddy through potential issues on the phone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 169.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.