Topic poll

“Which machine has a longer "shelf life" in a single pin home arcade?”

• World Cup Soccer 94 6 votes
    21%
  • Fish Tales 22 votes
    79%

(28 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Looking at my first pin in the next few months and have had to set my sights a little lower (basement remodel was expensive). My top contenders in the ~3k range are World Cup Soccer 94 (WCS) and Fish Tales (FT). Family loves the WCS and the ability to shoot goals and theme. I personally am leaning toward the Fish Tales game for the easy multiball and overall look. WCS seems to have a decently deep rule set, but I seem to be having more fun playing Fish Tales. Both seem pretty mechanically sound. The one issue I see repeatedly on machines for sale is a broken goalie, that can be fairly easily replaced. Not sure on reliability for Fish Tales but the only moving parts I see are the multiball loading fishing reel. Aside from theming, which machine would you prefer in a home environment? What other comments do you have on these games. I am assuming that if I paid ~3k for one of these I could sell/trade it in 6 months for around the same price or a similar tiered machine.

Thanks and happy pinball times!

#2 5 years ago

Fishtales all the way. Wcs gets repetitive and is on the easy side. The only thing repetitive about ft is the music. Although I'm not sure how you find multiball on ft easy to achieve? It's a real tight backhand shot from right flipper and even tighter shot from left flipper. I have friends in leagues who routinely ask for tips on hitting the lock. Add a risky captive ball shot, slightly wider flipper gap and fishtales can be a mean, unforgiving game that will only increase your skills.

All that being said if the wife and kids actually play wcs is probably more accessible towards the unskilled and maybe a better choice for the family.

#3 5 years ago

I had both. Wcs is gone. Ft is still there but I do have a 7 game collection currently. Wcs is fun out of the gate but I tired of it quick. Ft just looks nicer and still gets a lot of play. I like the cheesy 90's themes.

#4 5 years ago

I've had a WCS for the last week. I got it perfect and pretty, cleaned and re-rubbered, and soft white led'd about a day later.

It has been played nonstop by my wife and her girlfriends, my twin 7 year old nephews, and anyone who has been over. I've put maybe 15 games on it. The outlanes are wide open, the settings are not "easy", and the flippers are set perfectly flush to the lane guides for harder traps.

It is challenging, unlike what others will say. The purpose of the game is straightforward for casuals and the rules seem pretty deep for me, as a player/enthusiast.

That said, I bought this with the intention of non-pin people, kids, and women to play and get excited for. This will pave the way for TWD (and other "hard" machines) to be added for me, haha.

FT is definitely a fun game, but grows old quick. Like most games of this vintage, it turns into only shooting for mb, wash, rinse, and repeat. WCS probably has a little more staying power in that regard.

#5 5 years ago

Fish Tales is the superior game. Two different ways to play it with monster fish and multiball. Once you find the multiball shot it can be easy to start but very difficult to score well in, which is why many competitive players abandon that strategy. WCS is very repetitive. It's goal ramp goal ramp goal ramp ad nauseum! Fun for a few games and on location but I feel like WCS loses its luster quickly. Go for Fish Tales, it really is a great game and make sure you have lightning flippers on it. Regular flippers on a FT makes Angels weep.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Regular flippers on a FT makes Angels weep.

Amen!

#7 5 years ago

These are two of my favorite games and they have a lot of similarities. Both have a fun theme, two ways to play it (although I think both machines have only one way to play if you want reliably high scores), and are accessible to the whole family. They are both great if you want to play a few games quickly and still feel like you are getting somewhere.

If these are your two choices, you can't go wrong with either one of 'em. I love soccer, so for me the atmosphere, call outs, and superior music on WCS is the choice. If you like the fishing theme better, like a cool video mode, and like the criss cross ramps, go FT.

3 months later
#8 5 years ago

Bringing this post back from the dead.

After 3 months, WCS is gone. The game is just too easy. Unless you turn the extra balls off the games last way too long and it's too easy to get to the wizard mode. It's a really fun and easily approachable game where non-pinheads can just score goals, but it got old pretty quick. You shouldn't be able able to get to Wizard mode most of the time and there really are not that many modes. If I could go back and do it again, I'd have gone with fish tales. O well.

Still had fun though!

#9 5 years ago

I'll join the zombie thread.

I've played each game to death, and the death came too soon for FT by a long shot. Both games are rather shallow but FT is very shallow. You have to absolutely LOVE nailing the boat ramp as it is the only toy (if you can call a ramp a toy) in the entire game. Getting a monster fish is a real thrill the first few times, then it's meh. MB is somewhat fun, but that's pretty much the entire game. You have to love four shots in total: left boat, right boat, spinner and caster's club. I suppose you can play feeding frenzy too, but it's not much of an addition to the game. You also have to love folksy music.

A properly adjusted WCS (rules, outlines, rubbers and angle) wins this easily. Look at Bowen's video of WCS on Youtube. He's had the game for over 20 years and still loves it. It has so many features compared to FT that we're talking night and day. Moving goalie, goalie scoop, sewer, button tagets on field, spinning ball, actual skill shot, deeper ruleset, great ramps, magna save... It's packed with features.

If you found the game too easy, you should have used classic rubbers, steep angles, and maximum difficulty settings. If that's not enough, remove the outlane posts.

FT would have been worse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-vs-world-cup-soccer-94-replayability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.