• Popeye 19 votes
    13%
  • Fish Tales 132 votes
    87%

(151 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Simpsons-nelson-ha-ha-93-p-672x480.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 years ago

I'm weird, but... Popeye ALL DAY. In fact, no kidding, I turned on Popeye to play one game before bed and decided to check pinside while it booted. It's on flashing to my right at this exact moment...

Fish Tales I just can't stand for whatever reason. There used to be one at an arcade I managed, and I never connected with it no matter what I did. I could have stayed and played it at night for free, and I would close as quick as I could to go to the local restaurant and bar and play games there for pay instead. I have tried it a number of times since, and I simply don't care for it. At all.

Popeye on the other hand...

I *love* the playfield layout. I'll fully admit that I own it more because I think the art package on it is amazing, and not because the gameplay is ridiculously compelling, but come on - the playfield arch as the front of the ship? Cool! The speaker panel and translite as the top of the ship? Sweet. The cabinet sides as the ship in the water? Bad ass. And the playfield being the deck? I have to say, Python really did some creative stuff here.

Having said that, the art clearly was more important than anything else on the game, which is part of the reason that people don't like it, but I really think of Popeye as more of a playable eye candy game than anything else. It plays like it's not a widebody, because the majority of the right side of the playfield is wasted by wireforms that don't have anything under them. The game is NASTY with lightning flippers, and games are short which I do like.

The rules on it once you understand what is going on aren't horrible. Now, they aren't great, but they also aren't as bad as people out to make them out, although it takes a while to figure out what is up. The "video mode" thing is pretty neat, and the way it all works together is interesting enough. It plays more like a System 11 than a DMD, with the exception of the video mode thing. A really artful system 11.

Having said that, if I didn't have a bunch of machines around, there is no way in heck I would have wanted a Popeye. With how many you have, it might work out.

Oh, and the theme is take it or leave it, even if you like Popeye. I like Popeye, don't love it as a theme (more familiar with the theme from being little and playing the 2600 game than I am from anything else), but the weird tacked on animal stuff is... not what you really know from Popeye. It has some of the humor, but it isn't as outstanding as I would like it to be. Having said that, YOU'RE ON A BOAT!

Having said that... I'm the king of the world, on a boat like Leo... If you're on the shore, then you're sho' not me-oh. Time to play some Popeye.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The problem, ok one of the many problems, is that the ship front end looks like a toilet seat. Which is appropriate for this game.

I don't think it looks at all like a toilet seat, but to each their own. I think it makes it look like I'm on a boat.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Getting to Save Olive has many different things to complete, both mode and objective. The video mode is interactive with pinball play, only JD has something like this, but no where as complicated.
How many people here can say they have saved olive and found sweet pea? I have done both once, and it was not easy.

I've done it.

The game's rules remind me of Whirlwind a lot, just with a bunch of strange toys. I can also tell you the video mode thing is cool, but it is hampered a lot by the fact it is so darn hard and it registers wrong part of the time. The little upper flippers don't give you much to aim with, so sadly I find it is more of a crapshoot than JD's, which I find to be more interactive because I can actually hit the shots.

I have gotten to the point I can hit the right shot up top on Popeye about 2/3rds of the time, but probably one of every three shots it rolls to the right and thinks I hit a different shot than I did. That's annoying, and definitely brings it down in my book.

I still enjoy far more than Fish Tales.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-vs-popeye?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.