68%
  • Jurassic Park 33 votes
    32%

(104 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

head up ass2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

My wife and I are going to be in the market for our 2nd pin here in the next few months and I'm already starting window shop (don't we all?). We both really like both games and would be happy with either of them. Both are family friendly, which is important, and carry solid/attractive titles/themes. And, both seem to be right around the same price range, with JP just a touch below FT.

So... what are your thoughts? Bonus points for those who own/have owned both.

#2 9 years ago

JP for a more relaxing family friendly game.

FT is the better game IMO, but JP fits your needs better. If you do a FT, make sure it does NOT have lightening flippers on it.

#3 9 years ago

Had both. Sold FT as I am looking for a CQ example. I think FT is more fun/fast, JP is more challenging/deeper.

#4 9 years ago

FT all around, its easier to work on, easier to find parts for and is just fun. Lightning flippers are no big deal as they can be changed very easily.

JP - Data East - much harder to change out bulbs

#5 9 years ago

FT is better and I own a JP.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

JP - Data East - much harder to change out bulbs

huh??

#7 9 years ago

Aren't JPs bulbs stapled in or something weird?

#8 9 years ago

Just make sure you can 100% level a FT left to right. If it's off by 0.1 degrees, you'll suddenly recall all the words you weren't allowed to say when you were younger.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Aren't JPs bulbs stapled in or something weird?

They aren't as bad as System 11 GI sockets.

#11 9 years ago

Played both quite a bit. My vote would be for FT.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If you do a FT, make sure it does NOT have lightening flippers on it.

I totally DISAGREE with this statement. Fish Tales was designed for lightning flippers, and plays great with them. The layout makes center drains far less common than outlane drains so the gap is not an issue. Plus, the lightning flippers seem better suited to hitting the shots. I had the misfortune of playing two FTs with regular flippers, and the game just felt "off."

To the question, I have spent time with both, and I like FT better, though JP is not a bad game.

It all depends upon what you're looking for. If you want a game with a cool toy (the T-rex gobbling up the ball never gets old), relatively easy scoring and shot layout, and easily-attainable multiballs, then JP is a good fit.

If you want a game that is a bit more punishing, but emphasizes flow and precision, FT has it in spades. FT is a lot like AC/DC and TSPP in that just keeping the ball alive isn't enough. You have to make shots when they count, and without much room for error. My only knock against FT is that the multiball is relatively worthless compared to the monster fish and rock the boat modes.

#13 9 years ago

Fish Tales

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

I totally DISAGREE with this statement.

Fish Tales was designed for lightning flippers,...

The layout makes center drains far less common than outlane drains so the gap is not an issue.

I had the misfortune of playing two FTs with regular flippers, and the game just felt "off."

2. No no no no

3. So a bigger gap in the middle doesn't cause more SDTM drains....really.

4. Ask Mark Ritchie which ones he has on his machine.

Do you really honestly think lightning flippers go with the "family fun" aspect of the OP's question?

#15 9 years ago

I didn't think any games were designed with lightning flippers in mind. They were added on the production line.

#16 9 years ago

Currently own both, each has it's uniqueness and fun factor.. either one is a winner. If you can get both, then do it.

#17 9 years ago

I've had both and both are gone. JP is one of the few games I miss and regret selling though. Both have the fun factor but JP, at least for me, has more to grow into. System failure is an awesome wizard mode and not overly hard to achieve. JP also has god humor as well-"get off the fence Timmy!" You'd be happy with either, but JP gets my vote.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from M-Kauffman:

I've had both and both are gone. JP is one of the few games I miss and regret selling though. Both have the fun factor but JP, at least for me, has more to grow into. System failure is an awesome wizard mode and not overly hard to achieve. JP also has god humor as well-"get off the fence Timmy!" You'd be happy with either, but JP gets my vote.

JP for me too. Its one of the few games I had to buy back after selling the first time.

#20 9 years ago

Let the voting do the talking............

#21 9 years ago

With plenty of exposure to both, FT all day long.

#22 9 years ago

apparently 36 people are doing this.

head up ass2.jpghead up ass2.jpg

Because JP is a far superior game, both with Toys, layout and rules. But many won't agree because it says DE on the backbox and not B/W. It's always been that way. But I think the B/W snobs are starting to get phased out. We have a new era of snob. The New Stern and JJP snobs.

#23 9 years ago

I've got both at the moment. I prefer FT as a player. Even though the theme is fun and attractive to visitors, the play is less forgiving. JP has a great theme also but is a bit easier for newbies (though not at all easy). It has the depth though to keep your attention... and should be even better once Chad finishes his code update. So, if you're buying for yourself, then I'd go with FT. It's Williams solid and will keep you challenged and coming back for more. If you have novices over to play frequently, go with JP. Either one is a good choice.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

My only knock against FT is that the multiball is relatively worthless compared to the monster fish and rock the boat modes.

Yeah but multiball is the only way to get Jackpots and then onto Super Jackpots.

#25 9 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts. In an ideal world, we would just get both and call it done. But, I'm not ready to give up that much of my family room... yet. I think I'll just dig myself a basement and put them down there.

We are planning on going to the VFW show next week, so it will give us another opportunity to compare side by side.

As far as the Data East vs. B/W debate, I don't have a preference. I just want reliability and a good overall game. I could care less what logo is on my machine.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Because JP is a far superior game, both with Toys, layout and rules. But many won't agree because it says DE on the backbox and not B/W.

Well i think the problem is people are picking one game that is "better" than the other and not listening to what the OP is asking. But that's nothing new.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

apparently 36 people are doing this.

Because JP is a far superior game, both with Toys, layout and rules. But many won't agree because it says DE on the backbox and not B/W. It's always been that way. But I think the B/W snobs are starting to get phased out. We have a new era of snob. The New Stern and JJP snobs.

head up ass2.jpg 10 KB

I don't always agree with Neo, but when I do....I really agree.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I don't always agree with Neo, but when I do....I really agree.

Sounds like something that should be plastered on a picture of the Dos Equis guy.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Sounds like something that should be plastered on a picture of the Dos Equis guy.

Yeah, This was my half assed effort.

#30 9 years ago

well it was well done because that's who I pictured when I read it.

#31 9 years ago

I don't understand what happen here. A switch was flipped about 6-8 months ago in you and your very critical of others opinion. I saw very positive things said from you and about you. What happen or did I join during one of your dry spots?

Quoted from CaptainNeo:apparently 36 people are doing this.

head up ass2.jpg 10 KB

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

A switch was flipped about 6-8 months ago in you and your very critical of others opinion. I saw very positive things said from you and about you. ?

News to me...same since day 1

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I don't understand what happen here. A switch was flipped about 6-8 months ago in you and your very critical of others opinion. I saw very positive things said from you and about you. What happen or did I join during one of your dry spots?

I've always been opinionated, and i've always been very vocal about the underdogs not being given a chance (DE, Gottlieb, Sega, Zaccaria...ect). Mostly it's me just poking fun and taking jabs at the ones who are scared to venture beyond the safety of their normal. But there is some truth behind it, as DE used to not get any love at all. They are climbing out and getting more recognition than they used to.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

News to me...same since day 1

Guess I'm butt hurt. I think I may have stumbled on his raging posts as of late.

#35 9 years ago

Gotta agree with Captain Nemo on this one. JP is very similar in modes and rules to TAF and at a fraction of the price. CHAOS multiball is one of the best multiballs from that era.

#36 9 years ago

FT is a superb game. JP is a good game.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

But there is some truth behind it, as DE used to not get any love at all. They are climbing out and getting more recognition than they used to.

They've always been popular with the poor crowd.

I kidd I kidd

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

can't be that poor to get GNR and Tommy anymore.

GNR for sure, that's a good machine right there. Never cared for Tommy other than the visor which is great.

#40 9 years ago

I didn't care for Tommy the first time I had it. Second time I owned one, it was better. 3rd time I really loved it. 4th one is here to stay unless stupid money comes my way.

5 months later
#41 9 years ago

Ok, we recently got both pins. FT if you are adults and hard core for ramps. FT Rules! JP too is cool, and if your a family you can add fixtures to keep the kids or my wife happy, they are both challenging. And they our keepers!

#42 9 years ago

I got bored and dissapointed with FT amazingly fast. Worse thing than chopping wood is not having any wood to chop.

You shoot 6 ramps and then take Monster Fish. Then you can do it again for 20 mil more. and again. many times 6 ramp shots.
or
you lock 3 balls for multiball and try to take 3 jackpots and a super, which brings more points than hundred of those ramp shots.

that's it. video mode, fishing targets, captive ball just irrelevant distraction along the way. If you play for goals, there aren't any. No modes, no goals, no wizard mode, you'll see everything there is after few minutes of skillful play. If you play for points, there aren't any really beside multiball.

it's a beautiful pin with great artwork and great sound, but it's a location pinball for me. not really for home unless you have a sizeable collection. A looker.

I didn't play JP, but whirlwind layout and many modes seem like something to play for.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

I got bored and dissapointed with FT amazingly fast. Worse thing than chopping wood is not having any wood to chop.
You shoot 6 ramps and then take Monster Fish. Then you can do it again for 20 mil more. and again. many times 6 ramp shots.
or
you lock 3 balls for multiball and try to take 3 jackpots and a super, which brings more points than hundred of those ramp shots.
that's it. video mode, fishing targets, captive ball just irrelevant distraction along the way. If you play for goals, there aren't any. No modes, no goals, no wizard mode, you'll see everything there is after few minutes of skillful play. If you play for points, there aren't any really beside multiball.
it's a beautiful pin with great artwork and great sound, but it's a location pinball for me. not really for home unless you have a sizeable collection. A looker.
I didn't play JP, but Whirlwind layout and many modes seem like something to play for.

your game is set up too easy or you are just too good of a player. I have owned FT for years and still no super. Top ranked players have also played it a bunch and no super for them either. Any game is boring if you make it to easy.

#44 9 years ago

I've had both and sold both. I really miss having the JP. Like everyone here, I've bought and sold many games and there are just a couple I would want to have back and JP is for sure one of them (sorry Data East Haters). Both are family fun and friendly. Just more to do on JP. System Failure with a 6 ball multiball is crazy fun. Honestly, you'd be happy with either. "Stay away from the Fence Timmy!"

#45 9 years ago

I liked JP open pf more than fT. On FT it seems like most of the pf is taken up with the boat ramps.

#46 9 years ago

I prefer JP as well. I think the theme is really well fleshed out on this game and there is quite a lot to do. The Smart Missile ads some good strategy and also make the game more fun and accessible to newbies. It was my first game, I've had 6 games since and JP is the only one my wife wishes I hadn't sold.

Now it is true that JP, being a DE, is more clunky than Fish Tales but as with all games, if it is shopped out, rebuilt and dialled in it plays excellently. Too bad I've only played one JP that fit that description, and it was mine. People don't seem to give DE games the attention they deserve to make them play great.

#47 9 years ago

I prefer JP, I own it, so it has to be good, and I don't have a FT, so it obviously is really stupid, unless you have it, then it's really good.

Never mind, I'm insecure, and kind of a douche.

This added no value whatsoever to the conversation, or did it?..... hmmm.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 169.00
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-vs-jurassic-park?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.