36%

(92 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Betty (resized).jpg
20181202_145024 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Interested in opinions between these two games.

Mostly curious how they compare on rules, repeat playability and price.

Not really interested in opinions on Rosie O'Donnel. Cartoon art is obviously required on Flintstones.

#2 2 years ago

Both games are good. Fish Tales is better.

#3 2 years ago

ive owned both, fishtales is long gone. both fun games but shooting the center ramp on fishtales gets old

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ive owned both, fishtales is long gone.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 2 years ago

Both are fun games but there are far more shots on flintstones and less repetitive play. Besides playability you can also do more to make the playfield stand out on Flintstones. The buildings can be lit up which really makes them stand out very simple LED strips as well as the dinosaur wireform.

20181202_145024 (resized).jpg20181202_145024 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

I enjoy both but prefer Flintstones. It just has more shots.

#7 2 years ago

My vote is for Flintstones as well. I’ve never quite understood the love of Fish Tales. It’s a fun game for what it is, but it is very repetitive so I don’t think it’s the best choice for a home pin.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Both are fun games but there are far more shots on flintstones and less repetitive play. Besides playability you can also do more to make the playfield stand out on Flintstones. The buildings can be lit up which really makes them stand out very simple LED strips as well as the dinosaur wireform.
[quoted image]

I appreciate the responses, especially the detail of what makes you prefer one over the other instead of simply saying I like one more than the other.

I think the difficulty of scoring a Super Jackpot on FT might distinguish it as having the greater single challenge over anything on Flintstones.

But yeah I see the overall layout as more repetitive and basic. I suspect FT might have greater appeal as an original themed classic that I assume more people have played.

What about trade value, given similar condition? What's the current price check of the two?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I appreciate the responses, especially the detail of what makes you prefer one over the other instead of simply saying I like one more than the other.
I think the difficulty of scoring a Super Jackpot on FT might distinguish it as having the greater single challenge over anything on Flintstones.
But yeah I see the overall layout as more repetitive and basic. I suspect FT might have greater appeal as an original themed classic that I assume more people have played.
What about trade value, given similar condition? What's the current price check of the two?

Like all pins here during the Rona they have both shot up in price. As always condition is ultimately how you set the price. Honestly I don't think you could go wrong picking either one as I enjoy them both I just prefer Flintstones.

#10 2 years ago

I don't know much about Flintstones; I've only played a few games and it seems fun.

I think of my Fishtales similar to how I think of my T2. As far as I'm concerned, they are both games with simple rules sets, good flow, good "fun factor", and 'score is everything'. I don't think either would stick around very long if it was my only pin, but they're both keepers for me in a lineup with a buncha pins that have deeper rule sets. They both get played very frequently when I need a break from trying to complete modes on the deeper machines.

#11 2 years ago

FT has great humor, fun to play, horrible theme but they did a great job with the theme, unique game with a great topper, lots of ways to play, easy to sell when the time comes.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

horrible theme

How dare you, sir!

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

easy to sell when the time comes.

This is a great point. Fish Tales would be much easier to sell when the time comes.

#14 2 years ago

Had my FT over 10 years, never had or wanted Flintstones.
Great theme if you like fishing but if you don’t the music will get you jigging about!

#15 2 years ago

Besides FT being an awesome playing machine...FT has amazing artwork.

Flinstones has one of the worst art packages, ever. A seriously ugly machine.

#16 2 years ago

Flintstones is easily bottom 3 W/B, and probably the ugliest. The bowling part is fun but just god awful all around. If FT is a bad theme I have no idea what you would call the shitty Flintstones movie...uff Rosie O'Donnell on the PF

#17 2 years ago

FT by a mile. I liked FS, but it gets boring. FT is an ass kicker.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

How dare you, sir!

I hate fishing. Can't believe this is my favorite game. They did an awesome job with theme integration! Fishing aucks as a theme, at least to me it does. That is something that makes the game even more impressive.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

[quoted image]

looks killer, need to light up that apron too bill!

#20 2 years ago

I have both and will say that they are 2 very different games. I've had Fish Tales for over 20 years and never get tired of playing it. It's a fairly simple game to learn, but I think it's just a blast to play. If it's set up right right, you absolutely have to be accurate with your shots or it's gonna bad news. Flintstones I believe is 1 of the last great sleeper games out there. It looks like a kids game, but there is a lot going on once you learn the rules. I don't think it has the just 1 more game feel that FT brings, but I think it's an excellent game. I think it's a win win honestly.

Good Luck!!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think the difficulty of scoring a Super Jackpot on FT might distinguish it as having the greater single challenge over anything on Flintstones. But yeah I see the overall layout as more repetitive and basic. I suspect FT might have greater appeal as an original themed classic that I assume more people have played.

That is fair. If you are going for high scores on Fish Tales it's Super Jackpot or bust. Hitting repeat ramps and working though the captive ball modes are all really fun, but your high score games will come down to your progression though multiball and reaching the Super Jackpots. What I enjoy about it is I almost always feel close, so there is a great sense of tension during most games.

#22 2 years ago

nah, ive owned it 3x, just had my fill.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I like both but FT is overall the better game. Flintstones is fun with more to do but much more on the easy side. I can see it getting old fast once you start getting decent at it. FT is shallow but there is a lot more going on than shooting boat ramps. For me, it just screams classic B/W. Simply gameplay but very challenging. FT used to be fairly cheap but prices have shot up. Flintstones may be the better deal since I don't think prices have jumped up quite so much.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

nah, ive owned it 3x, just had my fill.

Yeah, I've owned it twice myself and I don't currently own it, but it's a game that keep me coming back. It's my guilty pleasure game. The more I play the less I'm into super deep rules, especially when they become non-intuitive.

#25 2 years ago

Fish Tales! It has pure, clean shots, clear rules and great sounds, music and callouts! One of my favorite B/W !!

#26 2 years ago

I have both machines sitting side by side, and while fish tails is the better looking machine Flintstones is the one that gets played the most. Flintstones was my first pin, and I still have it some 18 years later. I'm not sure I'll be able to say that about fish tails. Flintstones while not a deep pin in the ruleset department is vastly deeper than fish tails. Also as previously mentioned Flintstones has a wider array of shots.

#27 2 years ago

I want both.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

I hate fishing. Can't believe this is my favorite game. They did an awesome job with theme integration! Fishing aucks as a theme, at least to me it does. That is something that makes the game even more impressive.

Opposite here. I LOVE fishing, love the theme....but the game never grabbed me.

#29 2 years ago

My FT came to play in 2007 and I still have it. Flintstones arrived in 2012, when I found a great example for just $1,600.

Adults love Fish Tales and over time I've had 5 offers to buy it at bought price+ and said no to all.
I enjoy the video mode, especially shooting the jet skiers, also some other fun modes.
Adults enjoy the Flintstones art and sound package, kids glom all over it. I like the fact Williams outfitted it with DCS Stereo Sound, one of the few titles they did that too. Turn it up and hear the difference.

They are different when you spend time with each of them - heck, you only live once.
Find the money, get a loan - get both. I believe you won't have trouble later selling what you like the least. Each are popular to pinheads and non-pinheads alike.
IF I HAD to pick JUST one, I'd go with FT - the ipdb.org ranking for this has been consistent since 2008, Top 25 every year.

#30 2 years ago

Funny this pop up. Buddy and I were just talking about these two games last week. Code wise I feel they are about the same. Attainable wizard modes but still enough going on that they remain fun. It’s honestly a toss up as they are both a lot of fun. Fishtales has the better satisfying shot with the quick cast lock where Flintstones has the edge on gameplay with the return ramps calling what side to shoot to start a mode. I have owned both and would say I think flintstones wins just on gameplay. If CGC were to remake it with the original Hana barbera assets it would easily be a 6k game but the movie theme kills it for most people

#31 2 years ago

IMHO: Flinstones has kiddy theme/art (which can be easily upgraded), but is more satisfying to shoot and overall gameplay is more fun as a result. Code is deep enough to provide interesting variety and challenges, but easy enough for non-pinheads to enjoy as well.

#32 2 years ago

Setting up and then collecting the Feeding Frenzy in 4 shots is one of the best combos in pinball.

#33 2 years ago

Fish Tales all day and night

Flintstones is a nice approachable game - but really isn't all that interesting rules/strategy/challenge wise.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

horrible theme

I disagree. It's a better theme than any of the grandpa rock themes people here get all excited for (Rush? you can't be serious...)

#35 2 years ago

This is a real good match-up! Owned both(couple times) and both are fun in their own right. Got to give a slight edge to Fishtales on overall gameplay. And one of the best video modes ever! But its close with either one being a great addition to any line up.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

IMHO: Flinstones has kiddy theme/art (which can be easily upgraded)...

Is this the only title ever people are completely happy with putting a giant sticker right in the middle of the PF on? That should tell you something right there.
Agreed though on the wife swapping, child watching, Gazoo boner backglass though.

#37 2 years ago

Both are fun but my vote goes to Flintstones.

#38 2 years ago

Fish tales is an ass kicker with short ball times. Just getting one jackpot in multiball is hard and lighting the unlimited super jackpot is rare. It has great 'just one more play' appeal, and has a great video mode and topper.

Flintsones and its bowling theme do not appeal to me.

#39 2 years ago

Good games to compare against each other. I own both - FT for about 10 years and FS for about 5 years. I would say rules/depth wise they are about the same. To me the big difference is how challenging the shots are. FT is definitely more challenging which helps make up for rules that aren't very deep. FS shots are pretty easy so that coupled with not a lot of depth makes it less of game in my opinion. So it's FT for me all day especially if you have a smaller collection. I'm out of space so the next game to go will be FS. Hate to get rid of it because I do like it, but there is no way I would part with FT before FS.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

... there are far more shots on flintstones and less repetitive play. Besides playability you can also do more to make the playfield stand out on Flintstones. The buildings can be lit up which really makes them stand out very simple LED strips as well as the dinosaur wireform.

Yep - Flintstones has the best mods too!

Rrrrrrrrr!

Betty (resized).jpgBetty (resized).jpg

#41 2 years ago

FS could’ve been a much much better game w better code. Great layout. Just seemed underdeveloped code wise. And the rock tumbler is pointless

I’d go ft.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

This is a real good match-up! Owned both(couple times) and both are fun in their own right. Got to give a slight edge to Fishtales on overall gameplay. And one of the best video modes ever! But its close with either one being a great addition to any line up.

I still have your Flintstones Charlie!

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from t2000:

I still have your Flintstones Charlie!

That’s awesome, Tim! Glad you are still enjoying!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 26.50
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-vs-flintstones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.