(Topic ID: 229952)

Fish Tales transformer toast? Please help me diagnose.

By Archieball

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Archieball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys,

I am trying to revive a Fish Tales. When I first got it I noticed that the thermistor was broken in half, so I replaced that. When turning it on it ran fine for some minutes and then the GI started flickering. I decided to try a game even so and when I pushed the start button the machine died with a dramatic pop. No fuses burned. When checking I suddenly realized that what I thought was a 5A fuse in the line assembly actually was a 15A. I need to get my eyesight checked I guess. I double checked the new thermistor visually and decided to try to boot it again. This time it took out the 16A breaker in my house.

I am currently at a stage where I am buzz-checking for shorts, but I am uncertain as to how I should proceed. Here is what I have so far:

- With the transformer unplugged at the 3x3 plug I get no continuity between hot and neutral. Does this mean that the line filter is fine?
- With the transformer plugged in with the 3x3 plug (but unplugged from the rest of the machine) I get continuity between hot and neutral when checking the prongs on the wall plug. Yikes!
- When lifting the transformer out of the cabinet and checking the same wall plug I get NO continuity.
- If the transformer touches the metal ground strap it is sitting on I get continuity between the prongs of the wall plug again.

Is this how it should be, or is something shorted inside the transformer?

As far as I can tell, the components that make up this circuit are the following:
- Thermistor
- Varistor
- Line filter
- Transformer
- Fuse
- Ground strap in the cabinet

How would you guys go about diagnosing this? Are there any checks I can perform?

#3 5 years ago

Ok! I have some great news! And I feel really stupid at the same time! I have managed to wire the interlock switch wire to the start button! No wonder the game started protesting once I hit it. So I guess my chances are good at winning this year's Pinball Darwin Awards.

The good news is that my transformer seems fine. I tested it good according to wayout440 's recommendations before spotting the mistake.

The bad news is that the machine has resets and that it blows F104 which I guess means that a solenoid is out. Interestingly, the fuse holder sparks when I try to insert a new fuse and it shows a steady 5V even when the machine is unplugged. But I guess that is for another thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

12,500 (OBO)
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Archieball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-transformer-toast-please-help-me-diagnose?tu=Archieball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.