Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Stueyt2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have an issue on my fishtales with left boat exit, right boat entry, centre jet & top right loop, all stopped working, they are all in row 2 in switch matrix. Coin door closed is as well but is working.
    Playfield hasn't been lifted in a long time, just stopped working. I'm relatively new to pins and was wondering if anyone had any ideas where I should look first. Could It be a board issue?
    Thanks

#2 5 years ago

It could be a board issue, if not as simple as a bad wire at the row connector. Manually test directly at the CPU switch connectors with the following procedure. This will identify if there is a wiring/playfield problem or CPU problem.

Testing the Switch Rows (all WPC revisions).
    To test the switch rows, do the following:

Remove the backglass and fold down the display to gain access to the CPU board.
    Turn the game on.
    After the game boots, press the "Begin Test" button in the front door. Go to the Test menu's "Switch Levels" test.
    Unplug the connectors at J212, J206, J207, J208 and J209 (lower portion of the CPU board).
    Connect an alligator test lead to pin 1 of J207. Pin 1 is the right most pin, as facing the board.
    On the other end of the alligator test lead, clip on a 1N4004 diode, with the non-banded end away from the alligator lead. Touch the non-banded end of the diode to pin 1 of J209. Again, pin 1 is the right most pin, as facing the board.
    The display should show switch 11 is closed.
    Move the diode/alligator lead on J209 to the next pin. The display should show switch 12 is closed.
    Repeat the previous step, until pin 9 of J209. Switches 11 through 18 should be closed on the display as moving forward, pin by pin, on connector J209.

If a particular row does not display as closed, or is closed without any test lead connection, replace its corresponding LM339 chip on the CPU board. Here are the switch rows and which LM339 controls them:

Rows 1,2,3,4 = U18
    Rows 5,6,7,8 = U19

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm#switch

#3 5 years ago

Thanks so much for that, will give it a go

#4 5 years ago

Wow, I did what you said and discovered pin 2 on j209 was dead, which is linked to all those switches out, all other pins registered. As it is row 2 I suspect there is a problem with chip U18, would this be a fair assumption, thanks for your help

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stueyt2:

Wow, I did what you said and discovered pin 2 on j209 was dead, which is linked to all those switches out, all other pins registered. As it is row 2 I suspect there is a problem with chip U18, would this be a fair assumption, thanks for your help

Exactly. I would replace U18 at this point. Good luck.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I would replace U18

If it isn't socketed, you might do that.

LTG : )

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stueyt2:

Coin door closed is as well but is working.

If I'm reading post #1 correctly then U18 is working fine.
    Check continuity between J212-2 and J208/209-2

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

If I'm reading post #1 correctly then U18 is working fine.
    Check continuity between J212-2 and J208/209-2

What? I thought he already revealed pin 2 to be completely dead:

Quoted from Stueyt2:

Wow, I did what you said and discovered pin 2 on j209 was dead, which is linked to all those switches out,

#9 5 years ago

Yes, on J209, but coindoorclosed comes from J212. That's why I asked for continuity

#10 5 years ago

I have sent the board off to get fully checked an U18 chip replaced if faulty, will check on that continuity as well, thanks for all your comments, will let you know how it goes

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stueyt2:

will check on that continuity as well,

Correction :
    Should have written continuity between J212-6 and J208/9-2

( I mixed up rows and columns on J212)

#12 5 years ago

Thanks, will check

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.