• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

648EA55D-6AA3-489A-8FE2-2411DB96C59A (resized).jpeg
34C321F7-F568-4F1A-AC17-3BE5B34BBBCA (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Looking for a little help trying to figure out why Fish Tales shuts down and reboots.It stated about 2 months ago it turned off and rebooted but worked just fine after that.The game now will start up and shut down immediately and the dot matrix display is scrabbled .I assume a power issue?anyone have a starting point for me?
Thanks In advance

#2 2 years ago

Yes, the very first thing to check is the condition of the main power connectors. On the PDB (power distribution board), the huge one, bottom right, locate the connector with the blue/white and the red wires, J101 (on the right side of the board) . In what condition is this connector? And the pins on the board itself? Can you post pictures of this connector. A picture of the fuse holders as well is a good idea, some fuse holders might show signs of aging too.

Besides that, unplugging J101, few times can help clean the pins but it's a temporary solution.

Also make sure J210 on the CPU board (board to the left) is in good condition, you can unplug this one a few times as well to try and clean it.

Do the same with the ribbon cable, unplugging each connectors a few times in hopes of cleaning the pins.

Also send a picture of your CPU board from the battery holder down to the connectors, to check for battery acid damage..

It's possible that you only see garbled text on the display because it doesn't finishing booting properly, first thing will be to get the machine to boot, then focus on the display if needed.

#3 2 years ago

Also J114, left side of the driver board, is a 3rd connector that can be an issue. It sends out the 5v to all the other boards.

#4 2 years ago

Here is pic of J101 looks a Little crispy I will replace this . I pulled it off a few times now machine will not boot I guess I will start here

34C321F7-F568-4F1A-AC17-3BE5B34BBBCA (resized).jpeg34C321F7-F568-4F1A-AC17-3BE5B34BBBCA (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago

I have a new12 pin plug can you break these off to size?J191 is a 7 pin or do I need to order a new 7 pin?
Thanks

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 2 years ago

The red wires are directly feeding the machine for the 5v for the rest of the electronics. Both the connector and the pin header have to be changed. The solder joints of the pins are probably brittle by now and the pins oxidized.

#7 2 years ago

You can break it down no problem, just that sometimes the connector is shaped in a way to lock a bit tighter, but otherwise there's no issue.

#8 2 years ago

Okay That makes since what about using a 12 pin can I cut cut other end off?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Bobster123:

Okay That makes since what about using a 12 pin can I cut cut other end off?

Yes you can.

#10 2 years ago

Should I score it first Then try to snap it

648EA55D-6AA3-489A-8FE2-2411DB96C59A (resized).jpeg648EA55D-6AA3-489A-8FE2-2411DB96C59A (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Herndon, VA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.50
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 169.00
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Cabinet parts
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-shut-down-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.