(Topic ID: 5418)

Fish Tales shop job is complete! It plays GOOD!

By shanetastic

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by dvandentop
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FT-After.jpg
FT_before.jpg
P1010136.jpg
P1010137.jpg
P1010142.jpg
P1010133.jpg
P1010132.jpg
P1010130.jpg
P1010144.jpg
P1010145.jpg
P1010152.jpg
P1010150.jpg
P1010149.jpg
P1010147.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Well, I have been hard at work shopping out the FT I picked up last weekend.

Rebuilt flippers including coils (had incorrect mediums on it.. put the high powers on it)
Re-sleeved all other coils
Replaced many playfield plastics including the clear boat ramp.
Polished everything else...
Repaired J115 trace and replaced J115 and J121 connectors on power driver board.
Installed Cointaker cool white frosted in lower GI.
Installed PBL 3 led white in upper GI under plastics.
Installed Cointaker warm white frosted in boat GI
Installed Cointaker flashers

It plays like the DEVIL machine is it. Very FAST, and unforgiving. Short ball times unless you get on a roll. I really enjoy this machine. I have been destroying TZ recently and I needed some variety in the game room. Think I might keep this one a while and see if I can't master it.

P1010147.jpgP1010147.jpg P1010149.jpgP1010149.jpg P1010150.jpgP1010150.jpg P1010152.jpgP1010152.jpg P1010145.jpgP1010145.jpg P1010144.jpgP1010144.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Look's Great Shane.. Sorry i haven't been by lately.. I have a Bone in my back ,,ouch !!!

Will be by 1-nite this week.. Will call 1st... TMZAGYTRE

#3 12 years ago

Here are a few more with the lights on....

P1010130.jpgP1010130.jpg P1010132.jpgP1010132.jpg P1010133.jpgP1010133.jpg P1010142.jpgP1010142.jpg P1010137.jpgP1010137.jpg P1010136.jpgP1010136.jpg

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I have a Bone in my back ,,ouch !!!

Like a foreign bone of some sort impaled into your back??? ¡¡¡That doesn't sound good at all!!!

#5 12 years ago

But yeah, come on over. TZ and FT await...

#6 12 years ago

Will be there soon... Should i bring a Few Thousand ? Is it 4-Sale yet.. FH

Also ,, Man that Mother's Polish Really make's those Chrome habitrail's Shine !!!

#7 12 years ago

Nice job

I always thought TZ was hard until I played FT!

Brutal at times but soooo addictive

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Should i bring a Few Thousand ? Is it 4-Sale yet.. FH

Mmmm... probably not yet

Maybe one of these days. I would have to have something GOOD lined up to replace it first. Like AFM, MB, TAF, etc... something I could keep for a while and enjoy.

#9 12 years ago

What a beautiful looking playfield!!!! That's why I want a FT.

#10 12 years ago

hey shanetastic i am spending a little bit on my fish tales to make it look a bit better. i got ripped off to start with and the lights and what not are making the overall cost well over the odds.What have you spent on this machine all told??

#11 12 years ago

That FT looks GREAT shane!

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

hey shanetastic i am spending a little bit on my Fish Tales to make it look a bit better. i got ripped off to start with and the lights and what not are making the overall cost well over the odds.What have you spent on this machine all told??

If the game is already playing as you like, really making everything look better is more labor than anything.

I purchased new star posts, pop bumper caps, the plastics on either side of the boat, the slingshot plastics, the clear boat ramp plastic, a few decals, and the pinbits clear plastics kit for the rest of the clear plastic bits. I removed pretty much everything from the top of the playfield and cleaned the playfield surface with Novus 1. Then I polished all of the metal parts and posts with Mothers and reinstalled. Don't remove all of the metal guides and posts at the same time, because it would be easy to lose track of where everything went. I just strip the playfield to that point and work my wy around a piece at a time polishing and cleaning. Finally, reinstall each playfield piece, polishing with novus 2 for plastics, and mothers for metal.

I would say that I spent close to $200 on parts (the clear plastic ramp was half of that cost) for the playfield shop and the rest was just my time. Maybe 20hrs on the actual playfield part. Led lighting is another big improvement in my opinion. Cointaker and Pinball life have some good solutions. There are kits available and they usually turn out good, but desiging your own kit through trial and error can yeild better results if you are willing to invest the time.

#13 12 years ago

You didn't mention the under p/f component's.. I know you Rebuild the Flipper's , Pop-bumper's , sling- shot's , Etc.... telll , Keep Goin !!! More info...

#14 12 years ago

You have standard flipper bats and not the "W" logo ones?

Looks great otherwise. FT was made for LEDs!

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Yeah, I noticed the non "W" bats the other day.

So, I guess add $6 more or so to the total cost...

#16 12 years ago

Looks amazing!

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

You didn't mention the under p/f component's.. I know you Rebuild the Flipper's , Pop-bumper's , sling- shot's , Etc.... telll , Keep Goin !!! More info...

I was assuming that mickthepin was content with the way his FT was working otherwise... so I was just explaining what I did to the playfield itself.

There is a lot of work under the playfield if you want to be overly obsessive like I get sometimes. I like to target the components that provide most of the action in the game... flippers, pops, and slingshots at least. If they are all in tip top condition, the game really comes alive... and of course, fresh rubber!

#19 12 years ago

Looks great, I will find one someday

#20 12 years ago

Very nice and very clean - nice job

#21 12 years ago

"WOW, what a beauty!!"

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

GoneFishinLvMsg said:

Yeah, I noticed the non "W" bats the other day.
So, I guess add $6 more or so to the total cost...

You need to go for the lighting flips, if you're into a challenge

#23 12 years ago

How bad do the LED's ghost?

#24 12 years ago

Looks nice, but those flippers
i like the warm or yellow lights under the boat.
I'll be ordering some of those noflix for my lower playfield tomorrow.
Do you have any strobe/flicker issues?

#25 12 years ago

Actually, the only time I notice any ghosting is during video mode when all of the lights turn off. But it is not bad at all. During regular play, I don't notice any at all.

#26 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

How bad do the LED's ghost?

Mine ghosted bad, especially the fish inserts and the "LIE" inserts. Some ghostbusters from Pinballlife took care of it. I do not have any flickering.

1 week later
#27 12 years ago

nice looks like i need to get LED for my fish tales, there must be alot more lites in FT then others due to cost of the kit

#28 12 years ago

Pardon me for being 2 weeks late... Just wanted to a 'Day-um!! That looks good!'. Nice work!

#29 12 years ago

FT is such a beautiful PM all around!

#30 12 years ago

great job.

#31 12 years ago

Lighting looks amazing, wish I owned it.

#32 12 years ago

You did a great job on that. My Fish Tales is in very good condition and I thought it looked good, but yours really SHINES!!! I need to put some LED's in mine and clean it up some more. Don't think I'll ever sell it.
Mike

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

nice looks like i need to get LED for my Fish Tales, there must be alot more lites in FT then others due to cost of the kit

they always like to charge more for the kits..

1 week later
#34 12 years ago

More inspiration to clean up and sharpen up mine.
I've just put a few LEDs in mine so far and it helps so freak'n much.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I think you mean the ones with the lightning bolts.

Looks great Shane.

#36 12 years ago

can you scan and email your cointaker order form showing what exactly you ordered for this game to me? want to do LED on my FT

[email protected]

thanks

also what are correct coil #'s for flippers so i can check mine

#37 12 years ago

Fast-4-Ward to almost the end and some of shanetastic's FT footage is Available..

#38 12 years ago

The backbox was still standard bulbs in the video. Leds really helped the colors pop out better... check the before and after...

FT_before.jpgFT_before.jpg FT-After.jpgFT-After.jpg

#39 12 years ago

Oh and yeah, don't worry, I am NEVER gonna sell this one! There will never be a price dispute. I love FT!!!

#40 12 years ago

wow amazing difference! yeah i am not planning on selling my FT either

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 169.00
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-shop-job-is-complete-man-it-plays-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.