(Topic ID: 176996)

Fish Tales Setup

By lhammer610

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am setting up a new to me Fish Tales. A couple of issues that seem to pertain to the pitch of this pin:

1) This is the only WPC pin I have worked on where to get the pitch anywhere high enough, I have the back levelers all the way up and the front all the way down. Even then, the pitch is only about 6 degrees. I cannot get it any higher than that. That is about the first line on the built in bubble.

2) When I shoot the ball, to top left gate opens and the ball comes all the way around and straight down the drain. I am assuming the top left gate should open when shooting the ball. That gate closes on a certain shot, so it seems to be operating correctly.

3) The only way I can solve #2 is to lower the pitch.

4) I am setting the pitch using the built in bubble and an iPad with the pinball leveler app in it.

5) The swivels and slides under the playfield seem to be OK. So do the 'hook brackets' that hold the front of the playfield seem to be OK.

6) All four legs are the same length.

This pin looks like it is on stilts and still I have an issue with the instant ball drain. And the pitch is a bit low and cannot be adjusted higher.

OK, what stupid thing am I overlooking?

#2 7 years ago

I'm wondering if the previous owner replaced the feet with the wrong size. Are they the standard 3"? Everything else sounds okay. Ball launch is supposed to send that ball all the way around, through the open gate and to the left flipper. I suggest using a small bullet level to make sure you're level from left to right at both the flippers and further back by the boat ramp. Sometimes those leveling apps aren't 100%. Start with that. Good luck!

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from tjprice222:

I'm wondering if the previous owner replaced the feet with the wrong size. Are they the standard 3"? Everything else sounds okay. Ball launch is supposed to send that ball all the way around, through the open gate and to the left flipper. I suggest using a small bullet level to make sure you're level from left to right at both the flippers and further back by the boat ramp. Sometimes those leveling apps aren't 100%. Start with that. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't see how the feet could solve it. I don't know if they are the standard 3", but dang, my other WPC pins are barely up on the back feet and I get the 6.5 deg easily.

I have used a standard construction level to check side-to-side. On the cabinet, it is spot on and it agrees with the leveling app.

I get the feeling like something is off inside the cabinet. But with the slide assembly attached to the playfield sitting on the cabinet pivot; and the brackets in the front hooked on, I don't see how that is possible.

What stupid obvious thing am I missing?

#4 7 years ago

Could someone check their Fish Tales for me? I need to know the length of the 'hook' bracket playfield hold down that goes from under the playfield and holds the playfield onto the front of the pin. On my WH2O, it is 3". On the FT, it is 2.5". I cannot find the part number in either manual, but Marco has a #01-9211 that is 3" and is listed for WH2O. There is a #01-8419 that looks to be 2 & 3/16" and is listed for FT.

On my WH2O, the apron is lifted off the playfield on the front by these brackets. On all my other WPC pins, that apron is flush with the playfield all the way around.

Using the longer bracket would increase the angle of the playfield.

FT and WH2O are the only WPC pins I have that are slides.

Thanks.

#5 7 years ago

FWIW, I had read some time back, that a 6 to max 6.5 degree slope is the recommended for an FT.
Mine plays very competitively - and I gained what I needed without the back levers all the way up (I don't feel comfortable doing that due to stress loading on the bolts). My change-out that seemed to improve the pitch was I actually mounted mine on a set of Stern legs, and not standard-issue WMS. (I don't much care currently - I'm hoping in a week or two to send them out for some custom industrial powder-coating in the FT orange color - and I just keep the WMS sets around for any 'unplanned' future sale. Though I doubt my FT is going anywhere anytime soon, LOL).

Good luck - once you consider some options to improve the pitch and get it dialed-in, it becomes a competitive player IMHO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

12,500 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 22.50
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 169.00
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-setup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.