Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

New to the SS world, Fish Tales is my first non-EM pin. I was having an intermittent reset issue where the game would power down and then restart. This would happen every couple of games.

I purchased and installed a Kahr board to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it got worse, now the game was resetting almost on every ball played. Removing the Kahr board brought the issue back to when it first started.

Would the first place to start debugging this is checking what the 5V rail is measuring?

Thanks,

Alberto

#3 2 years ago

You should re-seat all of the connectors as well.

#4 2 years ago

If the game is plugged into an extension cord, get rid of it. Might want to check the wall voltage too. Pretty rare to have both 5V and 12V issues at the same time. Could be a supply issue.

#5 2 years ago

Definitely check 5 and 12 v on the mpu. Likely need to rebuild the PS section on the driver board.

#6 2 years ago

I had a Jy doing this recently. tap on cpu. was dirty socket in ASIC.

#7 2 years ago

The wiki is a great resource and quickly showed me where my current TZ reset problem lies. You do need a multimeter and a clip lead to check BR2 and C5.

If you want to roll the dice and jump to one item that is super easy to check and a common problem spot... Reseat J101 and see if you notice any improvement.

Oh, I guess it is worth asking... do the resets happen when you are flipping? If so that's a good sign that it's a failing 5V rail. If the game will reboot when you aren't flipping then things get more interesting.

BTW I have a WH2O that has a reset problem and like you, I put in a Kahr board before I did any diagnosing. Can't hurt, right? Well in my case, the game would not even boot with the board in. Kahr support said that suggested that the 12V supply is weak too. Well... one thing at a time, TZ first.

Let us know what you find!

#8 2 years ago

I think things are going to get more interesting. The game resets when the ball goes into the Fish Club and the vuk in there shoots it to the fishing reel. It has also reset when multiball starts and the balls are getting shot from the fishing reel back into play. It does also reset at random times.

I will check all the rail voltages first to see where they are.

I also read the wiki and will start working on the troubleshooting

Thanks

Alberto

#9 2 years ago

If the power supply isn't right NOTHING ELSE can work properly - it really is that simple.

Make 100% sure that your power rails are rock solid - in many cases your other problems will disappear.

#10 2 years ago

I would run in self test and let each coil pulse for a few times. You can stop on each coil in test and set it to repeat. It could be a coil(s) have worn wrapper and are shorting against bracket when energized. Seen this before.

#11 2 years ago

1st: unplug the power to the dmd. See if it resets.
2nd: if it does reset, check your bridge 1 rectifier.

You need 5 volts at all times give or take for the pin to run. Good Luck!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

I think things are going to get more interesting. The game resets when the ball goes into the Fish Club and the vuk in there shoots it to the fishing reel. It has also reset when multiball starts and the balls are getting shot from the fishing reel back into play. It does also reset at random times.
I will check all the rail voltages first to see where they are.
I also read the wiki and will start working on the troubleshooting
Thanks
Alberto

This sure sounds familiar....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-resets-in-attract-mode

**SPOILER ALERT** - was the MPU (95% sure).

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

If the power supply isn't right NOTHING ELSE can work properly - it really is that simple.
Make 100% sure that your power rails are rock solid - in many cases your other problems will disappear.

Absolutely. Need to test voltages before even starting.

#14 2 years ago

A quick update, I checked all of the voltages. 5V on TP2 is measuring 4.987V. 12V on TP3 is at 11.7V. Line voltage is good too.

I then ran the coil tests multiple times on each coil, no resets.

I also cleaned and reseated all the connectors going into the MPU board.

The DMD had not been working great, the graphics would sometimes distort so I went ahead and cleaned & reseated those connectors.

Now the DMD works great and I just put about 15-20 games on the machine with no resets. Maybe it was the DMD connectors not being seated correctly.

Thanks everyone for the help, I wish I could pinpoint the root cause but that’s all I got so far.

Alberto

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

A quick update, I checked all of the voltages. 5V on TP2 is measuring 4.987V. 12V on TP3 is at 11.7V. Line voltage is good too.
I then ran the coil tests multiple times on each coil, no resets.
I also cleaned and reseated all the connectors going into the MPU board.
The DMD had not been working great, the graphics would sometimes distort so I went ahead and cleaned & reseated those connectors.
Now the DMD works great and I just put about 15-20 games on the machine with no resets. Maybe it was the DMD connectors not being seated correctly.
Thanks everyone for the help, I wish I could pinpoint the root cause but that’s all I got so far.
Alberto

I kind like of mentioned that the power to the dmd could be the issue. I draws alot of voltage. Glad u got it working.

#16 2 years ago

Played for another hour or so today. Still no resets. I call this one closed. Thank you!

Alberto

#17 2 years ago

No soldering iron or crimper needed, that's a happy ending!

#18 2 years ago

I'm not impressed with the Kahr 5v regulator boards. I used one on my White Water once and the issue got worse, it started resetting constantly in a loop and wouldn't even boot up properly. Removed the Kahr board and the game was back to being playable and just resetting at certain times. The fix was to follow the proper troubleshooting measures and repair the 5v supply chain.

I get the sense, now that others are having the same issue, that these kahr boards are underspecced for a few WPC games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

12,500 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-resetting-even-with-kahr-board-installed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.