• Latest reply 11 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1870_(Large).JPG
#1 11 years ago

Just bought a new rottendog power driver board for my FT and I'm having an issue with it resetting. I purchased it without the power board, so I'm not really sure if this is a new issue or not (I'm guessing not). When it first powers on it takes around a minute for it to reset, then it progressively gets quicker. Is this the normal WPC reset issue? I wanted to make sure before I went through the troubleshooting steps. Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

I've been looking at this off and on all weekend. I'm really wondering if I've gotten a defective Rottendog board. Anyone else had an issue like this with a new board?

#3 11 years ago

Contact them tomorrow, I am sure they can assist to get it working or repaired/replaced

#4 11 years ago

I see the CPU is resetting, but the various LEDs on the driver board are on.

How do the voltages at the various test points on the driver board look? Are any of them not where they should be?How about the +5 at the CPU board? Measure at pin 32 of the game ROM.

Are any connectors tarnished or burnt? Like J101 or J102? I know the board is new, but the connector pins on the wiring harness are not.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I see the CPU is resetting, but the various LEDs on the driver board are on.
How do the voltages at the various test points on the driver board look? Are any of them not where they should be?How about the +5 at the CPU board? Measure at pin 32 of the game ROM.
Are any connectors tarnished or burnt? Like J101 or J102? I know the board is new, but the connector pins on the wiring harness are not.

+1 on all that, and contact Jim @ RottenDog.. super customer service - he even picked up the phone one sunday and helped me with one of his products once.. I felt super bad it was sunday but was awesome he did.

#6 11 years ago

What made you buy the board to begin with? I just had both my CPU board and Driver board repaired at coin op cauldron and both had lots of small issues. They are old boards and I wouldn't doubt if it was not the rottendog, the game could run without the driver board.....

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and give Rottendog a call when I get home this evening, and also look into the tips from johnwartjr.

Northvibe, the fish tales I purchased didn't come with a power driver board. The story I got was that the owner purchased the machine working, then when they brought it home it no longer worked (not sure what that meant exactly). He was trying to fix the power driver board and had pulled it from the machine, then couldn't find it when I bought it (it was at his friend's house when I bought it). Thus I don't really know if this was an issue before or not.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know what I find out.

#8 11 years ago

Tried to call Jim @ Rottendog but got no answer, will try again in a little while. In the meantime, here's what I found out:
TP1 +12VP : 15.52
TP2 +5V : 5.05
TP6 +50V : 77
TP3 +12VD : 11.77
TP8 +18V : 16.6
TP7 +20V : 22.95

Pin 32 on game rom: 4.98

#9 11 years ago

Still no luck getting a hold of Jim, I'll try him again tomorrow. Don't know if this helps with the troubleshooting, but I disconnected J113 from the power board (the ribbon connecting the power board to the cpu board) and it still resets, although it takes longer (say 5 minutes or so instead of 1 minute). The heatsink right above the test points is very hot, although that very well may be normal. I'm guessing since the ribbon was disconnected, the CPU isn't telling the machine to reset, the power board is doing it?

#10 11 years ago

You called him at 6-9pm depending on his time zone.. Give the guy a break haha Try email and calling during normal hours!

#11 11 years ago

Yeah I know, that's why it was no big deal. I live in Eastern too, but don't get home from work til 6, so it's tough. I did email him earlier. Thanks.

#12 11 years ago

Ok, final update of the night. Looks like I may have found a burnt pin on J101? Thanks for the insight johnwartjr.

DSCN1870_(Large).JPGDSCN1870_(Large).JPG

#13 11 years ago

Was it burnt before? That normally happens because of a poor connection and high amp draw. No biggie .. But to be perfect you want to replace that plug as it will only get worse from this point on.

#14 11 years ago

So could this be causing my reset issue, or is this just something that needs to be fixed in general?

#15 11 years ago

I dot have my manuals at home what does that plug to to?

#16 11 years ago

J101 is part of the secondary harness. That particular pin is bringing in 9 volts from the transformer. BR2 rectifies the 9 volts down to 5 volts.

I doubt that particular burnt pin *alone* is causing your problem. Your voltages actually look pretty decent. Your +5 makes it all the way to the CPU at 4.98, that should be adequate to keep the CPU running, unless it drops a huge amount under load.

The 12 volts looks a little low, but I don't know if it's low enough to cause resets.

#17 11 years ago

Were there any other burnt pins? This sure sounds like a connector issue.

#18 11 years ago

Discoloration like that means that the connector is massively compromised and current passing through will be minimal at best. Replace it with properly crimped Molex and I'm betting you'll be good.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#19 11 years ago

Pin 11 on J121 was also burnt. I'm ordering the parts from GPE. I checked the outlet voltage, then checked TP2, TP4, CPU Rom pin 32, and CPU U10 pin 1 while it was resetting and all had the proper voltage. We'll see when the parts come in. Thanks for the help.

#20 11 years ago

Replaced both connectors and converted J101 to a molex, still didn't fix the issue (although it needed to be changed). Picked up a DM this weekend, pulled the power driver board out of it and put it in FT and that fixed it, so it looks like my new Rottendog board was defective. At least that's finally straightened out.

Also the start button on FT wasn't working, and the entire column 1 in the switch matrix wouldn't register. So I put the CPU board from DM (switched the game roms) in FT and it works fine as well. So looks like I've got a bad U20 on the CPU. I'll have to send that off for repair.

Anyway thanks for all the help, looks like this one is resolved.

#21 11 years ago

If you need a recommendation on the board repair, try Clive at coin op cauldron. Awesome guy and imo went above and beyond repair on my boards. He put a updated rom, remote battery pack, touched up any and every hack/replaced part so it looks factory. Amazing job.

#22 11 years ago

Typical of Rottendog. That's why I avoid RD stuff.

#23 11 years ago

Another vote for Clive. I'm sending a board out to him tomorrow and haven't personally had work done by him, but all the great things from people here has been fantastic. He's also been really good with contact which is a big deal to me.

#24 11 years ago

+2 for Clive, he repaired 2 boards for me and haven't had an issue since. Great communication and customer service !

#25 11 years ago

My coworker shipped his T2 board off to him after I recommended him. He called and had a great talk with Clive. He is a smart man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 169.00
12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.