• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
8F93827B-3CA2-4710-8A23-9CF49FF0E3EB (resized).jpeg
5F0086A0-BABD-464F-B40F-165E72E8BB80 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bakerhillpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago

I looked back through your posts and didn't see this specifically...

Quoted from Don44:

It will work fine in test mode for a while and then it sounds like its struggling and the motor will move slower. Nothing is impeding the wheel from spinning. If I remove the motor from the gear box the gear on the motor spins freely and the gears spin in the gear box.

If you exit the test and then try it again immediately it does it continue to run slowly? If yes, what about if you give it a few minutes to cool down?

Quoted from Don44:

When playing a game it works properly at times but will then just spit out balls from the reel in the middle of a game.

So is the motor exhibiting the slow/sluggishness when this happens?

I just went through my Fish Tales this past month because the Reel was all wonky. It looked like a switch problem but turned out to be a combination of a failing +12 dc supply on the Power Driver board and a switch matrix issue on the reel opto column (optos also use +12). I ended up having to rebuild the power section on the Driver board because of poor quality of previous repairs (destroyed traces/vias and shotty solder work) and fix bad connections on the IDC connectors to the CPU board.

So.. Check your +12 power supply (this drives the reel motor):
Hook up a volt meter to the +12 input to the EMI board, (use your original board since the new didn't change anything).
Note the reading.
Is the +12v reading good or low?
Run the reel test until it starts misbehaving and see if the +12v dc rail starts to drop.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Thanks for the in-depth response. I am awaiting a new board from Marco but in the meantime I ran some tests. When I go into test mode the reel initially does not spin but when I hit a flipper button it spins and gets to the it’s set position and the works fine. When the reel is running I am getting a voltage reading of 13.5 but when it’s not running after I put it in reel test it dips down to about two. If I lock balls in a game the reel does not spin properly.

So if I understand you correctly here... you're saying that when the reel is exhibiting the sluggish or incorrect movement the +12v power on the EMI board drops to roughly 2v dc?

If you took the +12 measurement on the motor board move your DMM up to the Power Driver board and perform the same test to see if the PS is dropping or if there is an issue in the wiring to the EMI board.

#15 2 years ago

Resets are common on WPC games when they have some age on them. The correct course of action is to go through all the steps (in order) outlined in the PinWiki.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

I've had bad MOVs, connector corrosion/burning, and all sorts of messed up repairs in the power section in my collection of games.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I installed the correct board and everything worked as far as the reel goes in the couple of games I played although I need to play a few more games before I am sure. The only problem I have left with the machine is random resets. When I power on, sometimes the machine starts to boot and then goes dark and reboots. During a game the game has rebooted on me a few times as well. I reseated all of the ribbon cables and changed the flipper coils that had broken diodes on them but it has reset since then. Any other ideas based on what I have described?

Glad that seems to have corrected the reel problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bakerhillpins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-reel-issue-3?tu=bakerhillpins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.