(Topic ID: 117639)

Fish Tales Reel Drive belt replacement instructions?

By Jesterfunhouse

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey Everyone,

A friend of mine just got a new drive belt for his Fish Tales and asked if I could replace it for him. I have been checking for a good set of instructions on how to change the drive belt as I have heard this can be tricky. So far I not found any instructions on how to do it.

Does anyone know where they are posted or has anyone done this recently that can give me some basic step by steps. I have fixed a lot of machines so I am pretty handy and could probably figure it out I just don't want to reinvent the wheel. Pinside is always so helpful giving me tips or experienced help since this is my first time doing this particular task.

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

You definitely have to take the reel down through the playfield. It's kind of a pain but you will see how to do it if you go slow.

#3 9 years ago

Reel comes down through the playfield. Also, I wouldn't use one of the correct belts for it. use a rubber instead. The original ones were a crappy eurothayne or something and they get brittle and hard very quick.

Clay always replaces them with a 3" rubber ring I think. Can't remember the exact size, but that's what I did on mine when I replaced it. If you are a Pinball Ninja subscriber he has a video or tutorial I think showing the replacement of it too.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from pkiefert:

Reel comes down through the playfield. Also, I wouldn't use one of the correct belts for it. use a rubber instead. The original ones were a crappy eurothayne or something and they get brittle and hard very quick.
Clay always replaces them with a 3" rubber ring I think. Can't remember the exact size, but that's what I did on mine when I replaced it. If you are a Pinball Ninja subscriber he has a video or tutorial I think showing the replacement of it too.

I have heard the argument between a rubber ring (size?) and the replacement drive belt from the main suppliers (Marco). Anyone else want to chime in on which works better? Currently he has a Zip tie on it which is not making it function properly LOL and already has the drive belt replacement. I probably have the rubber ring to use also.

Thanks!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I have heard the argument between a rubber ring (size?) and the replacement drive belt from the main suppliers (Marco). Anyone else want to chime in on which works better? Currently he has a Zip tie on it which is not making it function properly LOL and already has the drive belt replacement. I probably have the rubber ring to use also.
Thanks!

I have replaced mine with rubber ring. It works even better than original belt.

#6 9 years ago

Pinball Resource sells the correct replacement part. I have serviced several FTs and Hurricanes for a route operator and regular rings are terrible. In my experience it is entirely unreliable and slips like crazy. I would never install a rubber ring in place of the correct part. That is just dumb.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Pinball Resource sells the correct replacement part. I have serviced several FTs and Hurricanes for a route operator and regular rings are terrible. In my experience it is entirely unreliable and slips like crazy. I would never install a rubber ring in place of the correct part. That is just dumb.

Thanks for the advice. I just finished the install and it did not take too long. He had already ordered the clear silicon one from Marco so I went ahead and installed that one. I also cleaned the optos etc. so far it works fine and did not slip. We will see how it holds up.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

You definitely have to take the reel down through the playfield. It's kind of a pain but you will see how to do it if you go slow.

Thanks I did just this and it went fine and no issues.

#9 9 years ago

Good to hear. I have used, and am currently using, a rubber ring. It's not the best solution. They go bad every 2-3 years and take a few days to break into the correct tension (it misses ejects). Next time I will use the urethane and be done with it for a much longer time.

#10 9 years ago

I have had 2 different FT machines and replaced with the original replacement belt both times and ZERO problems afterwards.

#11 9 years ago

+ 1

For the rubber ring camp.

Seasoned operators and Clay aren't wrong about this.

#12 9 years ago

Seems like pinball Ninja did one of those a while back

7 months later
#13 8 years ago

Another cause of belt slippage can be the plastic pulley that the belt sits on. This needs to have a flat side inside for gripping the drive shaft. If the centre is rounded out it will cause the belt and pulley to slip. This can cause confusion ( for me at least) as its not easy to see happening and with tension on the pulley can still work intermittently and may look like the belt slipping, especially when it first starts to wear.
Hope this helps someone coz it had me stumped for a while..

5 years later
#14 3 years ago

Routing a fishtales had two of the urethane rings snap on me.

3" rubbers are available in a pinch at lowes in the plumbing section. For 59cents I will keep using the 3" rubber.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-reel-drive-belt-replacement-instructions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.