(Topic ID: 159940)

Fish tales powering up issues

By shlockdoc

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shlockdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have a strange power up issue I can use some advice for. When I turn on the game it might take 2 or 3 times powering it on/off to get it to boot correctly. Sometimes a single try. Once powered up plays great no issues. On the failed attempts I either get a bong noise and nothing or a slight buzz. Once it gets it right I get a slight tick, tick, tick, tick then good to go. Any advice if this is a switch issue or a capacitor issue?

#3 7 years ago

Do you do this at a test point? Set meter to ac but measure dc just to confirm? Thanks

4 weeks later
#5 7 years ago

I have 5v dc and 10.5 ac on pin 5 is that correct? I don't get any error LEDs on the cpu.

D19 d20 and d21 all stay lite when it does not boot correctly.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

Maybe check or replace the thermistor in the power switch box.

How do you check that?

Quoted from terryb:

The 10.5 AC is not a valid reading. For this technique to work you need a decent meter and set it on the lowest AC range. Although your problem really doesn't sound like a ripple issue to me.

I would try kvan's advice first.

I tried kvan's advice no luck

My meter is decent - I was grounding to the braid.

4 months later
#19 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

It should be 5 volts. If it's zero volts there's a problem with the blanking circuit.
Black lead on ground braid, red lead on pin 3 of U21.
Repeat the test until you are measuring it during a failure.

I finally got to test it. When it boots its 5v. When it foes not boot correctly there is 0.06 volts.

How do you fix a blanking circuit? Thanks. Sorry it took forever.

#21 7 years ago

I will test that tonight.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from DSBDBB:

Did you test Pin 5 on J210 when you had 0.06 volts at U21 to confirm 5 volts is coming into the CPU board.
I had a similar problem on a WCS and found it to be the ASIC chip holder causing the blanking circuit to drop out. I simply pressed on it and the machine worked fine. I had the chip holder replaced in the end for a permanent fix.

ASIC chip is seated nice. I got 12v on pin 5 of j210 when u21 had the .06v. You say 5v did you mean 12v on j210?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DSBDBB:

J210 has both 12 volts and 5 volts. Are you sure you checked the correct pins?
From top of J210 to bottom:
Pin 1 - Black - Ground
Pin 2 - Key
Pin 3 - Black - Ground
Pin 4 - Grey +5VDC
Pin 5 - Grey +5VDC
Pin 6 - Grey/green +12VDC
Pin 7 - Grey/green + 12VDC
Pins 4 and 5 are both the same +5VDC so you should be able to test either. You should test both these pins from pin 1 or 3 to confirm a good ground as well.
As previously mentioned you may need the remove and refit the ASIC chip even if it looks good.

I thought I checked the correct one - this is very helpful. Thank you. I will check again - i need to get a tool for asic chip

#27 7 years ago

I get 5.06 on pins 4 & 5 and 11.97 on pins 6&7. I used pin one as the ground. When it fails to boot.

When it boots properly it is the same as above. Pin 6 varies a bit in attract mode.

Can't find my asic tool. Just ordered one from amazon.

#29 7 years ago

Thanks. Will do and I'll report back

#30 7 years ago

I get 4.82 on d1 lower side when failed. Also 4.82 when boots correctly.

64 got 5.04 the other three legs got 4.82.

U4 and u6 reseated - no change.

#34 7 years ago

i reseated the chip and still no good. i guess its off to a clives or someone to test it. I was hoping to be able to tech it myself. The board is still jumpered for euro 240v and someone mentioned having to cut out them out.

My guess is it is a capacitor issue on the board and that when it sits, it drains down, the quick on/off/on doesn’t allow it to dip below the required voltage. Is there a way to test the capacitors on the board?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I think there may be some confusion here on the jumpers since you are talking about your MPU. The country selection jumpers on this board are only for the default language the machine boots up in (after a reset to factory defaults) and has nothing to do with the boards voltage selection as the board only uses the +12VDC and +5VDC from the Power Driver board.

Thanks. Just trying to cover every possible cause.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shlockdoc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-powering-up-issues?tu=shlockdoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.