• Latest reply 11 years ago by catboxer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish-stringer.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I just bought a Fish Tales! I am pretty happy with it. Overall it is in great condition. Almost no fade, playfield is in decent shape. The question is about the fish inserts in the middle. What is the best course of action for these? Decals or not? Or would anyone put decals and then put Mylar over decals? Is there some sort of filler for the little cracks? Or just Mylar over what is there now?
The fish are not that bad but I would guess they would get worse over time.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!

fish-stringer.jpgfish-stringer.jpg

#2 11 years ago

They sell decals, I would put those on.

#3 11 years ago

I would make sure the inserts are flush with the playfield and then install decals.

In regards to the cracks it's hard to tell in a photo. You may just be seeing where the edge of the decal has flaked off. If the crack around the insert is larger than usual I would either replace the inserts or use CA gap filling.

If you're not up to that big a project, just put some static cling vinyl over the area.

#4 11 years ago

I sure wouldn't put a decal over that... the wear isn't bad enough to warrant it, and will change the ball trajectory as it rolls over the edges. (Ask me how I know).

The wear will continue, but in typical home use, shouldn't be that bad, and will take a loooong time to get really bad.

I'd suggest as was previously, make sure the inserts are level with the playfield, and lock them in with CA (superglue) It's been outlined in the pinrepair tapes before, on the IJ one if I recall.

Use a pipette to just place small amounts around the cracks. (touch up with acrylic paint beforehand if desired) Once the cracks are filled.. use a small block and 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 and higher sand paper to level the repair. Once done, polish with some Novus 3 then two, and you're done. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two's worth of work, looks way better than a decal, and it will last a really long time if done properly.

My scared stiff spider hole looks factory fresh, and I did the repairs on it over 10 years ago.

#5 11 years ago

Big Decal, I have the individual ones and only rarely does it affect the ball (Slow moving, rapidly spinning). I imagine it's even less of an issue with a larger overlay. Obviously the best way is to level them, paint them, and clear. If I'm going to that extreme I'm just going to wait if/when CPR does a repro playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 169.00
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-paint-or-preserve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.