(Topic ID: 4697)

Fish Tales: Original or Standard flippers?

By BonisEnr

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by cevans82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I have just played my 100th game according to the game audits and I have to say I love this machine. It is my first pinball and I am really glad with my choice. Perfect machine for a beginner, not overly complicated rules and just plain fun. Only problem is, my average ball time is about 30 seconds. Just wondering if it is worth swapping those short flippers for standard ones or is it what gives this machine its character (fast gameplay and short times). Maybe I just need more practice

How many FT owners here have the original bats and how many have changed them?

#2 12 years ago

Original all the way.

#3 12 years ago

We have the Lightning flips installed. you will get used to them. I like the added character they bring to the table.

FT is a very simple, very DIFFICULT game wrapped in the guise of a goofy fishing theme. I love mine. Good Luck trying to hit those Pro-Jackpots.

#4 12 years ago

Using the original lightning flippers here. It certainly "feels" different than other games and challenges ya. I don't know how many times I hoped for a dead flipper pass and watched the ball roll on by

#5 12 years ago

My old FT had standard length flippers, and that was challenging enough. I have played other machines with the lightning flippers, and that small shortening of the flippers does make a lot of difference to gameplay.

As you say ball times can be very short on FT, once that ball starts bouncing around off the slingshots, or dropping back down from the captive ball it often drains. That is part of how FT plays, it is a great manic fun game. I fully intend to own another one sometime in the future.

#6 12 years ago

Keep original.

I instead moved to 5 ball game and got longer games. Now back to 3.

It is a super fun, good bang for buck pin!

#7 12 years ago

What do you consider original? The game was designed with standard, and lightning were added later. I've had both on mine, and there isn't that much of a difference. Currently have standard as one of my lightnings broke.

Listen to the Mark Ritchie Topcast for more info on this. He talks about putting shorter flippers on the game because of a request from a distributer in France. They were than put on US games because of the extra inventory of the lightning flips. He said he regrets not shipping all US games with standard.

#8 12 years ago

Not a fan of of the zipper flippers. It gives me an excuse.

#9 12 years ago

Lightning all the way.

#10 12 years ago

I'm a little in the dark here, what is a lighting flipper? Is the lighting bolt flipper you can get at pinball life or something else?

#11 12 years ago

Lightning flippers are an 1/8 on an inch shorter than standard. They have the lightning bolt on top. you can buy them at most of the suppliers.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

ightning flippers are an 1/8 on an inch shorter than standard. They have the lightning bolt on top. you cna buy them at most of the suppliers.

Thanks Hawkeye11! Appreciate the info.

#13 12 years ago

lightning flippers here. try some new rubbers on them if you havent already. that helps a bit but i think it just practice man. i have had my FT for about 5 years now and the ball time have changed alot. once you get on a roll you will love the game even more. i remember when i was finally able to hook up the super jackpot its awesome! check out the playing tips section some times the best way to get the hang of it is to try too slow down which i know sounds obvious but saying and remembering to do it when in the middle of a game is easier said than done sometimes goodluck and have fun with FT its a great game i never get tired of.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 169.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,500 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-original-or-standard-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.