(Topic ID: 114294)

Fish Tales Nudging Help Needed

By Tom_in_NoVA

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Fish Tales more than any other game I have owned is a side drain monster. How do I nudge the game to keep the ball in play? When to nudge? Etc. Any nudging advice would be much appreciated.

I checked the audits, out of 2553 balls played, 1209 were side drains (47%), with an average ball time of 42 seconds. Average game time with extra balls is 2 min 40 seconds. The side drains are killing me! I already closed them up, but that has not helped much. The ball often lands in the inlane, bounces on the rubber rings and spins into the outlanes.

Best regards,

Tom

#2 9 years ago

Most of the people who play my games are not players so I set my games up soft. On my fish tales I changed the Lightning flippers to standard flippers and changed the plastic outline posts to double rubber posts and used the the large 3/8 clear rings on them

#3 9 years ago

I can't speak to Fish Tales in terms of a real machine... not to mention it's my worst game digitally on a computer screen in programs like Pinball Arcade... but one thing I can say as general advice when it comes to draining often down the sides is that, if you're getting a lot of outlane drains then you're probably suffering from a lot of side-to-side motion. So the trick is instead of learning to keep the ball from going down the outlanes (which is extremely tough to do on any game) learn to prevent the ball from getting anywhere near the return lanes to begin with.

With Fish Tales, a relatively safe strategy is to just make boat shots, since you're not in as much danger if you brick or miss them as you are with bricking or missing the loop shots or the Caster's Club. You can't score as high going just for the boat, but you can score more consistently, since going for jackpots and super jackpots is an all-or-nothing strategy. Besides, every so often you'll overshoot the boat and accidentally make the Caster's Club anyways, which is yet another reason to go for the boat, and if you undershoot you'll hit the captive ball and earn the potential for more rewards, possibly even multiball if you get enough loop shots in... which is yet ANOTHER reason to go for the boat.

...so yeah, go for the boat more often and you should drain less. ; )

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

The ball often lands in the inlane, bounces on the rubber rings and spins into the outlanes.

When the ball starts to bounce into the outlane, nudge the game forward. This motion closes off the outlane and bumps the ball up toward the rest of the playfield. A good rule of thumb for nudging is up for the outlanes and side to side for the middle drains.

#5 9 years ago

Fish Tales is a pain , it was killing me with all those slow ball time

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
12,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-nudging-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.