(Topic ID: 170099)

Fish Tales Mylar - Replace or Not?

By sugarhillabe

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I removed three pieces of mylar from my playfield, two half-moons in front of the slings and a third up the long cast chute. There was some bubbling and clouding and I thought it would look better without. Now that I've done it, it looks nice, but I'm considering whether for protection reasons I should replace with new mylar (including the full lower play field mylar from marco) or just leave it as it is for right now. I've seen some opinions that slingshot mylar is a good idea in all situations, and just wanted to see the general opinion of the site.

#2 7 years ago

send me some pics to my email addresss on my site. www.greatamericanpinball.com

#3 7 years ago

In home use with regular responsible cleaning and waxing you'll be fine.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

In home use with regular responsible cleaning and waxing you'll be fine.

Agreed. Home use only, leave Mylar off and wax at least twice a year.

#5 7 years ago

I love lo tac 3 mil mylar. I found it from talking my games to shows and seeing them wear each day. It worked great for that, and now I use it every where a ball falls on to a pf, as well as stern pf's in 2 places. between the pop bumpers and if there is paint at the shooter ln kick out. since the mylar is thin, if you cut it so it ends on black key lines or ends under plastics, you never see it. I have forgotton where it is on my metallica and acdc because I cant see it and stern pf wear fast. I sell it for 2 8x11 sheets for 5 bucks. after 2 or 3 years you lift it without heat or freeze, clean and replace. Definatly ball returns where the ball falls on the pf.
everyone has their own opinion, and I used to think mylar was like condoms, but this stuff is much thinner so it is not noticable.
Love it!
to each their own, cheers

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I ended up leaving the mylar between the pop bumpers because it looked like there was a little wear up there and was afraid to remove it, and in any event, I doubt most people would notice it anyway because the view is mostly blocked by the ramps. I was amazed at the difference in build up on the playfield when I compared what was under the mylar to the rest, and this motivated me to really put a nice polish and wax on the rest of the playfield, and while I can still see a little bit of a line where the mylar was, it looks really nice and ultimately I think I'll be more happy with no mylar. Now if I can just get that ColorDMD

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 169.00
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-mylar-replace-or-not?hl=sugarhillabe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.