New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 275975)

Fish Tales motor voltage

By Diver12

56 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 56 days ago

Got a Fish Tales little while ago and the reel was not working. Saw there was no rubber for the pulley and ordered one from Marco’s. Attached it and nothing. I did the reel test and the motor does not move at all (took off of gearbox to confirm) I am getting 0.6v at the motor.

Trying to find out what the correct voltage is for the motor to find out if this is a board or a motor issue

#2 55 days ago

Use a 9v battery to test motor. Probably not the motor.

#3 55 days ago

Ok
Works with a 9v battery
Checked the small board that runs to. The resistors showed being complete. Don’t know what the two brass things are on it.

Re-seated pins and no change

What would be my next thing to check?

#4 55 days ago
Quoted from Diver12:

I am getting 0.6v at the motor.

Measure this voltage from the red wire to ground, you should have 12V. If you don't have 12V there, follow it back through the circuit until you find where you have it.

pasted_image (resized).png

If you are lazy like me, just connect the black wire on the motor to ground and see if it turns. If it does, its a control issue.

#5 54 days ago

I connected the black wire to ground and it did not work. What is the next step?

#6 53 days ago

Did you check that you have +12 VDC at the connectors on the yellow-marked circuit that Pin_Guy attached?

#7 53 days ago
Quoted from Diver12:

I connected the black wire to ground and it did not work. What is the next step?

What classe said

Follow that highlighted line back from the motor to J118-2 to find where the voltage is lost and fix it.

Black wire to the ground braid and stick the red lead into the back of connectors starting with the motor and working back to the power driver board.

You would actually have massive issues if the 12V was missing at the power driver board, the most likely break points are going to be the 2 connections to the EMI board or the connection at the opto switch board...I'm assuming that J1-2 on that board has two wires, one to power the board, and a second to power the motor.

#8 49 days ago

So I am getting 5-6 volts at J1 and J2. Always want to mention that I am getting errors for Reel Opto 1 and 2.

When I put the red lead on the driver board in several places it reset the machine. Couldn't get any good readings

#9 48 days ago
Quoted from Diver12:

So I am getting 5-6 volts at J1 and J2. Always want to mention that I am getting errors for Reel Opto 1 and 2.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm assuming that J1-2 on that board has two wires, one to power the board, and a second to power the motor.

Did you inspect this point for loose wires?

Quoted from Diver12:

When I put the red lead on the driver board in several places it reset the machine. Couldn't get any good readings

I don't know what you have for a meter, but if I had a meter that did that I would throw it away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside