image-465.jpg
image.jpg
photo.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
DSC00321.JPG
DSC00320.JPG
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 12 years ago

So I got this ft and the only mods I find at all are lighted button in the reel plunger, rappala lures in the cabinet, LEDs and a rubber duck on a pop bumper.

Question 1.
Does the container full led kit look good? I want led but theres like 8 diff styles and just trying to see what people like where in ft.

Question 2.
Anyone do any cool mods?!

#2 12 years ago

Here is the lighted cast button
http://www.dziedzic.us/cast_button.html

#3 12 years ago

I did a full set of LED's in my FT and it looks great in my opinion, not sure what you mean by container; cointaker typo? Got my led's from marco. I used some colored led's in the backglass to make certain parts of the scene pop out more. Blue bulb behind the lightning bolt in the top left looks really cool, like its actually flashing. As well as adding more green behind the Fish Tales logo and the fish and adding some bulbs to certain parts where the water looks like its splashing, bubbling etc. I can get some pictures/video of it up in a few days.

Also, I heard somewhere that the lighted button in the reel plunger is actually on prototype cabinets only. Anyone know if there is truth to that? If there is a mod to light the button, I'd definitely be interested.

edit - Thanks for the cast button link.

#4 12 years ago

Oh awesome. I'd love to see pictures! Yes this iPad auto corrects, it was suppose to be cointaker.

#5 12 years ago

Here is what I changed on my Fishtales.

IMAG0159.jpgIMAG0159.jpg IMAG0157.jpgIMAG0157.jpg

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Here is what I changed on my Fishtales.

green plastics in back and you swap green flippers? Are those standard flipper length? Man those lightening flippers are destroying me. I get like 2 balls locked and then its DRAIN time haha. Looks good! I think led's would make it really pop the colors.

#7 12 years ago

led's are a must on fish tales makes it look great.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

bballfan said:Here is what I changed on my Fishtales.
green plastics in back and you swap green flippers? Are those standard flipper length? Man those lightening flippers are destroying me. I get like 2 balls locked and then its DRAIN time haha. Looks good! I think led's would make it really pop the colors.

I changed to green bats and yellow rubbers to look like the fish mouth.Changed the red pop bumper caps and wafers to blue and added blue leds. Also I put colored leds under the white fish inserts.Changed the yellow lane guides to green with green leds.

#9 12 years ago

Bballfan, those pop bumpers and lane guides look great. I think I may do the same to mine.

I've seen colored covers for the stretch the truth bulbs on a machine somewhere here on the forums, but I haven't found a store online that sells them; but I haven't looked too hard. I'm currently switching my flippers from yellow to white lightning bats with blue rubbers to see how that looks next to the splashing water below them.

#10 12 years ago

Nicely done bballfan. Very tasteful mods indeed.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I changed to green bats and yellow rubbers to look like the fish mouth.Changed the red pop bumper caps and wafers to blue and added blue leds. Also I put colored leds under the white fish inserts.Changed the yellow lane guides to green with green leds.

Ohhh I think my pop bumpers are already blue, and I didnt know that wasnt from factory. I'll have to take a closer peak when I get home. I don't think the waffers were changed.

The flippers in green w/ yellow rubber looks really good and I agree matches the fish.

#12 12 years ago

I have the colored bulb condoms to match the boat inserts on mine. Looks 100x better IMO.

I also used a fishing spoon as a keychain. I unplugged the topper solenoid as well, it's to friggin loud. My buddy installed a manual switch on the topper solenoid of his FT so he can easily turn it off or on depending on the wifes mood

#13 12 years ago

I put a full LED kit in and matched the colors to the inserts (much better than blinding white IMO). Alternating blue and green 5 LED supers for the topper really make it look really cool too (the CT kit comes with these).

Back when I owned a tackle company I also had one of my lures in the fish topper's mouth. The blue pops and green lane dividers look fantastic btw.

5 months later
#14 11 years ago

I'll have to start a new thread for my FT redo. I have some neat ideas...just hope I have the time!

I'm gong to get led's but sounds like it is best to hand pick the led's so I can color match the inserts and any special places I want different color.

Quick question on the led's though.
Are people getting yellow for the stretch truth or are you doing the bulb looking leds with the condoms on?
Back box is all the cointaker soft white?

Real issue with FT - the cast again randomly is flashing or is on, then the ball drains and no ball save...not sure if the bulbs are just messed up or what yet. Some of the LIFE lights are picky when to work as well so I was going to led it up then test from there.

#15 11 years ago

I used standard bulbs with different colored bulb covers for the sign, to match the colors of the boat inserts (red,green,blue etc)

Reflow the header pins on the board for the "LIE" lights. Also make sure the bulb holders are touching properly to the board. You may need to pinch the metal bulb holders down a bit.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Back box is all the cointaker soft white?

I went with a mix of frosted cointakers and incandecents in my back box. A couple green behind the fish & title, blue around the water & clouds, along with some white and soft white strategically placed. Went a little overboard with the green/blue and moved those extra LEDs up to the fish topper. I might get more LEDs at some point... most likely white (not soft white) frosted.

Not sure what to do about the flashers though. I got a couple green Ablaze 9 LED flashers but they don't diffuse enough for the backbox. Not sure if the Cointakers would look better.

Thinking about putting a color changing LED behind the topper lure... but not sure how that would look.

#17 11 years ago

Unfortunately i have been needing to rebuild the right flipper on my FT so i havnt got too play it very much lately but the key is to shoot for the right loop shot, the "Long Cast" shot, it will advance the captive ball and allow you to achieve Rock The Boat, Video Mode, and another mode thats slipping my mind (possibly Feeding Frenzy?) and also Instant Multiball. During rock the boat each boat shot is worth 10 million so you can really rack some points up!

#18 11 years ago

The key to Fishtales is SUPER JACKKPOOOTTTSSS!! period....

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I used standard bulbs with different colored bulb covers for the sign, to match the colors of the boat inserts (red,green,blue etc)
Reflow the header pins on the board for the "LIE" lights. Also make sure the bulb holders are touching properly to the board. You may need to pinch the metal bulb holders down a bit.

Ok thanks, I'll have to crack it open this weekend and start looking through it. Checking the wiring and harness.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from decktard:

northvibe said:Back box is all the cointaker soft white?

I went with a mix of frosted cointakers and incandecents in my back box. A couple green behind the fish & title, blue around the water & clouds, along with some white and soft white strategically placed. Went a little overboard with the green/blue and moved those extra LEDs up to the fish topper. I might get more LEDs at some point... most likely white (not soft white) frosted.
Not sure what to do about the flashers though. I got a couple green Ablaze 9 LED flashers but they don't diffuse enough for the backbox. Not sure if the Cointakers would look better.
Thinking about putting a color changing LED behind the topper lure... but not sure how that would look.

Do you have pictures?

#21 11 years ago

Anyone know where to find this plastic?? As you can see mine is crap looking!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from spanks_4:

Anyone know where to find this plastic?? As you can see mine is crap looking!

Attachments P5150092.JPG (1211.9 KB, 2 downloads) 1 minute old

Mine looked like that too, but guess which plastic is still there after as full of a restoration as I could do?
Just Novus the shit out of it and put it back. You won't see it from almost any angle once the game is back together. Or cut yourself a new one from plexi.

#23 11 years ago

Cool thanks Tuna!

Another trouble I'm running across.... The Flap on my ball gate was extremely rusted so I ordered a new flap.. Well the ends of the pin holding the old one in were flattened somehow! Anyways I managed to get the pin out, but can't get it back in... Anyone know what kind of metal I can use and how would I flatten the ends once it's in?

I'm thinking piano wire for this also, but not sure it will be strong enough.

#24 11 years ago

Subtle but nice.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Subtle but nice.

huh?? Did I miss something?

2 weeks later
#26 11 years ago

I made the pop bumper changes bballfan made but Marco doesnt have the green lane guides in stock yet. Gotta say the blue makes way more sense than red.

I wanted to change my flipper buttons but wasnt sure exactly which ones were on the machine. Can anyone point me to them on Marco? Wouldnt it be great to have lit flipper buttons?!

#27 11 years ago

Here is the lighted cast button
http://www.dziedzic.us/cast_button.html

Here is what the original lighted cast button looks like, the new button has the same part # but is bigger and doesn't fit in the handle.
You can also fit the old style Stern tournament button in there with slight modification.
Chrome by Mike C.

FTSH_004.jpgFTSH_004.jpg

#28 11 years ago

Nice chrome job. Maybe someday I'll send my shadow gun; Sttng phaser and FT handle/rod all at the same time.

How much is a chrome'd gun anyway?

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

How much is a chrome'd gun anyway?

You would have to check with Mike, hpu at comcast daht net for current pricing.
I had 2 FT, 1 STTNG and a DH gun done in a package deal.
He may have them in stock and do an exchange for yours.

#30 11 years ago

thanks.

I'm lovin my FT by the way. Had it up and running in the game room for about a week now and after 100 plays i think it's a keeper.

#31 11 years ago

How do you FT paired with your W?D? Are they both keepers?

#32 11 years ago

That button and chrome look great, tracelifter. I put in a led button too but it's smaller, more like the size of the regular one.

I was thinking about redoing the handle in black and keeping the reel chrome to give it more of that old Zebco spincaster look.

IMG_1738.jpgIMG_1738.jpg

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

How do you like it compaired -or- paired with your W?D?

Who?dunnit is a good pairing. I can set it for "novice" play when new people come over and it'll relaunch drained balls for a timed play (3 minutes) which lets them see more of the game. It's also my wife's and my Mom's favorite in my line-up. I play it a couple times a week.

FT has the new taste still so I can't really give it an unbiased view/rating yet.

#34 11 years ago

Can someone make up some plug and play light up buttons for dummies like me? I would love to have one, but skeered of screwing something up!

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

lpeters82 said:How do you like it compaired -or- paired with your W?D?
Who?dunnit is a good pairing. I can set it for "novice" play when new people come over and it'll relaunch drained balls for a timed play (3 minutes) which lets them see more of the game. It's also my wife's and my Mom's favorite in my line-up. I play it a couple times a week.
FT has the new taste still so I can't really give it an unbiased view/rating yet.

Yeah, I like both games but with the center ramps on each I wasn't sure if I'd like them in a small lineup.

#36 11 years ago

The "feel" different. the boat ramp is harder to make back to back to back shots

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Can someone make up some plug and play light up buttons for dummies like me? I would love to have one, but skeered of screwing something up!

The power for the bulb is right there in the harness and the washer needs to be modded into a square in the center to hold the button.
If you order the button switch when it comes it won't fit in the handle.
Gregg B. found these buttons at HAPP and the girl there checked the bin and the part #s were the same but the newer buttons were bigger.
She found 2 of the original style and he bought both, it was a real pickle dance to get the buttons, that is the problem.
The Stern tourney button doesn't need the washer or nut, you just dremel the bezel to fit the slot in the handle halves.
This looks really good as an alternative, the yellow goes good with the game and so does the tournament start.

#38 11 years ago

Cool, I have a tourney button that I don't use from my potc. If I hook it up it will just stay lit all the time, or is there a wire there that controls it in sync with some features?

#39 11 years ago

It is controlled, follow the loom back from your handle and you will see the connector.

#40 11 years ago

What flipper button style are on FT? I dont want to order the wrong ones and was thinking of switching up the color.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

It is controlled, follow the loom back from your handle and you will see the connector.

Awesome, thanks. I can't wait to get home!

I am sure I will be back with" which wire do i put where" questions

#42 11 years ago

We'll I gave it a try, and I couldn't be happier with the tournament button for the launcher. It fits the whole "fishing tournament" theme perfectly. And for a total cost of $5, it's one of those mods that there really is no reason not to do. Why was the lighted button removed anyway? Obviously it was wired, so the cost of installing a lit button versus that ugly gray one couldn't have been much.

100_0683.JPG100_0683.JPG

I still need to put things back together, but it's 100% working.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

We'll I gave it a try...

Looks good.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Awesome, thanks. I can't wait to get home!
I am sure I will be back with" which wire do i put where" questions

I really don't think you'll be confused. It's as simple as wiring gets, but if for some reason you need help feel free to PM.

#45 11 years ago

The best mod for FT is the one that allows you to turn off the flopping fish topper! I have a few in stock but will be making another batch due to high demand. PM me for a special Pinside member discount if interested.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Billmelater:

The best mod for FT is the one that allows you to turn off the flopping fish topper! I have a few in stock but will be making another batch due to high demand. PM me for a special Pinside member discount if interested.

A mod to unplug the coil???

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Billmelater:

When I bought my FT, I notice somebody had cut the wires going to the fish, so I repaired them.
It didnt take me long to figure out why the wires were cut. The flopping fish got old real fast!

#48 11 years ago

I don't understand cutting the wires when the coil has a quick disconnect in the head???

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from spanks_4:

I don't understand cutting the wires when the coil has a quick disconnect in the head???

I dont understand why a person would do that too. They were cut off at the coil behind the fish.

I guess they went the fastest and easyest way and just didnt care.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

The flopping fish got old real fast!

I put a bunch of vibration dampening tape on the different parts of the solenoid assembly and fish to dampen the sound. Best mod so far... I get most of the machine shaking effects with 1/3 the noise.

I'd guess you could substitute weatherstripping from the hardware store.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-mods?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.