Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG1268.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Lost my lights on the bottom half of the back box, game acting a little funny on the play field lights also.....pulled j120 and j121 and reconnected didn't work, any ideas thanks

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from cyclone1234:

Lost my lights on the bottom half of the back box, game acting a little funny on the play field lights also.....pulled j120 and j121 and reconnected didn't work, any ideas thanks

Burnt connector, bad fuse.

#3 9 years ago

I have a similar problem with part of my gi. I blew a fuse and burnt part of a connector. The fuse was not as obvious but the burnt connector was hard to miss. Here is the thread of it with helpful info:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-gi-half-not-working

#4 9 years ago

fuses good , no burnt connector......lower back box is the number 7 pin but looks good..

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have a similar problem with part of my gi. I blew a fuse and burnt part of a connector. The fuse was not as obvious but the burnt connector was hard to miss. Here is the thread of it with helpful info:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-gi-half-not-working

Did you check the connector coming off the transformer? That one tends to get crispy too

#6 9 years ago

Sometimes the connector may not look burnt but the connection is still bad. Have you pulled the wpc board to look at the headers on that connector from the back?? It could be burnt there causing a trace to have burnt up. Fish tales is NOTORIOUS for having burnt GI connections. 99 percent sure your issue is very near those connections, whether it looks obvious at the connection or not.

#7 9 years ago

thanks everyone, going to pull the board tomm night and have a look , will update when i find something..

#8 9 years ago

Can't rule out the Triac. I had a bad one on my playfield GI.

#9 9 years ago

I've dealt with GI problems many times. Just repinned my White Water yesterday to fix problems of missing backbox GI. My pins were BURNT!

There are many possibilities about what could be wrong, and you should really start with the simple wins. The PinWiki guide is the best resource.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

#10 9 years ago

Oh, and here's what I mean by BURNT.

Burnt as in the plastic of the connector was totally melted and fused to the header. The solder joints on the board were thoroughly cracked. Those two strands were totally out.

IMAG1268.jpgIMAG1268.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Guys,

just picked up a Fish Tales and my connector at J120 is a tad dark on the right side where the brown wire is going in (at least on my game). Are these GI issues not one hell of a good reason not to LED the damn game (at least GI) so that this does not happen in the future? Also, once these games get off a route and they are not powered up for many hours at a time, hopefully this will also keep these connections from going south in this manner.

G

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Are these GI issues not one hell of a good reason not to LED the damn game (at least GI) so that this does not happen in the future?

Absolutely. LEDs would greatly reduce the current flowing through these pins.

But... I just love the warm glow of incandescent lights so much. If you repin the connectors and use trifurcon pins, you're unlikely to ever have problems again. Especially if you're not keeping the game powered on all day every day.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Absolutely. LEDs would greatly reduce the current flowing through these pins.
But... I just love the warm glow of incandescent lights so much. If you repin the connectors and use trifurcon pins, you're unlikely to ever have problems again. Especially if you're not keeping the game powered on all day every day.

^^This^^, do the headers too.

#14 9 years ago

Fix it and use LEDS in the controlled lamps. To me, LED GI looks like trash.

#15 9 years ago

Yeah, I'll still advocate for incandescent bulbs. 555s can't be beat.

Incidentally, I don't like mixing LEDs and incandescents, so I'll advocate for incandescent bulbs everywhere, even at the expense of power consumption and heat.

#16 9 years ago

Some of the flashers in my FT backbox have way too much current coming through them. Blowing the flashers. Any ideas on that?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Some of the flashers in my FT backbox have way too much current coming through them. Blowing the flashers. Any ideas on that?

What have you measured the voltage at?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

What have you measured the voltage at?

Haven't yet. Need to get a meter.

#19 9 years ago

I have a Fish Tales and the info you are posting on here is very educational for me. Keep on 'feeding'.
Mike

#20 9 years ago

I have this exact problem on this exact same GI line. I've been putting it off because I checked all the "normal" issues. I've buzzed continuity all the way back, no burnt connectors, no dead fuses. I'll be following this thread, please update with the fix when you find it as this is next on my list after I finish the shop out/repairs on Who Dunnit and get it in the line.

#21 9 years ago

I did not dig into it heavy yet, been to crazy with the holidays ...i did replace all bulbs to leds about six months ago...it bothers me laying here in bed knowing the machine isn't working properly, pretty sick this pinball habit >>>

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I have this exact problem on this exact same GI line. I've been putting it off because I checked all the "normal" issues. I've buzzed continuity all the way back, no burnt connectors, no dead fuses. I'll be following this thread, please update with the fix when you find it as this is next on my list after I finish the shop out/repairs on WHO dunnit and get it in the line.

Did you check the connector for the gi off of the transformer?

#23 9 years ago

I will throw my tools in the car and we will fix the damned think tonight...(Literally) Just pull it away from the wall so we have some room.. LOL I'll call you today....

Better start looking for that condo LOL

Post edited by DannyFresh: adding

#24 9 years ago

Ill just kick the wife out and her a condo!!!

2 weeks later
#25 9 years ago

Well finally had the time to look at the issue with the lower GI, it ended up being fuse 110...i had looked at all the fuses and they all looked good..when i pulled up what fuse it was (f110) i pulled it out and had a closer look...there was the smallest, tiny spot on the wire...it looked good but it was not ...new fuse good to go...question is with all led's , no strain on the board like there used to be , why did it blow?....learned a lesson to always pull out the fuse and check with a meter!!

#26 9 years ago

I've never had a fuse blow without a reason. Either I've shorted something while working on the game, or something has been wrong.

I suppose fuses can fail spontaneously with no good reason. It's certainly possible, right?

#27 9 years ago

they are slow blow fuses , not sure if they just go bad ? If it blows the new fuse then i def have a problem somewhere..so far so good

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-lower-lights-out-on-back-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.