• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MyFishTales.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys!

Anyone had a problem with Fish Tales long cast / plunger kickout loop?
When I hit the plunger, ball gets ejected but somehow it hits the rubber on the LIE gates or hits the metal just bellow the gate that opens up. Ball gets deflected like this and then with some spin from all the hits around just barely goes through the gate and onto the left flipper. Also many times when I hit the long cast ball doesn't go all the way. If the ball is hit slower, it makes the loop though. I think this is a separate issue related to the roll over switch that tell the gate to open.

Anyone had any similar like this? I'm pretty puzzled with this one as I'm not seeing what I can adjust. I took off the first LIE gates rubber to allow the ball to go when kicking it from the plunger.

I might be able to get a video for you guys to check out the ball movement.

#2 10 years ago

When I've had issues like this on other games, it's usually been one of these reasons:

1) Game isn't at the proper incline
2) Plunger tip isn't hitting the ball properly, sometimes too low/high/sides causing weird spin
3) Plunger mechanics are dirty reducing the energy put into the ball, and thus it's velocity is off. Often fixed by cleaning plunger and replacing coil sleeve.

Hope one of these helps, a video may be good too!

#3 10 years ago

First check your slope and level.

That being said, I had this exact issue when I first got my FT. Turned out that the PO had 'adjusted' (bent) the metal ball guide on the right near the top so that the ball would always go to the LIE gates. Obviously making it impossible to do a long cast. That and installed a weaker shooter coil.

Took me a long time to get it bent somewhat back into the correct shape (still not perfect).

I also noticed that there should be a nut that holds the end of the guide it down (mine was missing) - perhaps it is missing on yours causing the guide to move a bit?

#4 10 years ago

Thanks a lot guys!

I have adjusted the slope a bit and took apart the kicker coil and cleaned it and looks like it did it.
I think I'll need to get a new coil down the line as this one feels to be a bit weak but it makes the loop now, its not 100% perfect but it works.

Important thing is that long cast via left flipper works nicely.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Bole909:

I think I'll need to get a new coil down the line as this one feels to be a bit weak but it makes the loop now, its not 100% perfect but it works.

Sweet!

FYI, coils don't really weaken over time, they either work or they don't. Weakness usually tends to be a sign of something going on mechanically.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from adalogue:

Sweet!
FYI, coils don't really weaken over time, they either work or they don't. Weakness usually tends to be a sign of something going on mechanically.

Ah - thanks for info, didn't know that!

I have a strong feeling this coil might not be the original one (rather some handmade/wounded).
Something is still messing the ball movement and causing weakness. Also some kicks make it, some don't. I have noticed that kickout button on the plunger is problematic and not always work correctly (sometimes it would fire multiple times upon press).

MyFishTales.jpgMyFishTales.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Great looking Fish Tales! Yeah, good to check the coil number that's installed with what's in the manual to make sure it's the correct coil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 169.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-long-cast-loop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.