Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Roamin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Does anyone know what changed between these roms?

#2 9 years ago

Williams never listed what was changed between those ROMS.

There was an old thread I found that said it was mostly some animations. There is apparently a "patched" version of L-5. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-rom-l4-or-l5-getting-a-lot-of-mixed-info

#3 9 years ago

I saw that post. They didn't seem too sure a year ago. I was hoping maybe someone had swapped them and had a better explanation

1 week later
#4 9 years ago

I picked up L-5. So far I can't see any difference. No new graphics as far as I can tell.

#5 9 years ago

I can tell you that L5 is required to rock the new color DMD.

#6 9 years ago

Actually, the FAQ from Color DMD states this:

Do I need to replace the ROMs in my existing game? Why does your store site specify a required ROM version?

No. The ColorDMD display works with normal game ROMs and board sets. In most cases, there is no need to update to the required ROM version unless you see issues with video frames not being identified and colored correctly by the display.

The required ROM versions that we specify are versions that we used during development and testing. Generally, we try to use the latest ROMs available for each game. Other ROM versions may contain difference in animation sequences or font sets that are not handled correctly by the display. You should only consider updating to the specified ROM version if you think you are experiencing issues due to these differences.

#7 9 years ago

Interesting. what I read (either here or on the site) called for L5 specifically. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Under requirements - http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-fish-tales-pinball-machine/

So yeah the FAQ clarifies that I suppose. To whom it may concern, "require" is a much stronger word than "recommend".

#8 9 years ago

I saw that too tuna. On the ordering page it says rom required: L-5. It must not really be required, just recommended.

#9 9 years ago

Either way, I'm good L5 w/ NG patch.

#10 9 years ago

Yeah, it's definitely misleading. If I upgrade to the colorDMD, I'll try it with the L4. It would suck to spend the money to upgrade to L5 if it works since I hear there's basically no difference between the two.

#11 9 years ago

What I DO need is the "Xtra ballE" fix...

6 years later
#12 3 years ago

From what I read on the wpc ghosting led patching software page, fish tales L-5 uses a new light control method to reduce the "ghosting" effect, but also puts less stress on the electronics by avoiding the voltage spikes that were causing the ghosting in the first place. At the very bottom of this page it says that an earlier version of the ghosting fix is found on the FT L-5 Rom, meaning if you patch the L-5 Rom with the patcher, it will instead contain the final fix from 1996. Simply burn the version D-6 Rom found from ipdb.org that contains both the patch, and the "xtra balle" display fix both in one. From what I understand, D-6 Rom will be much easier on your electronics.

https://emmytech.com/arcade/led_ghost_busting/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-l-4-to-l-5-differences?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.