Topic poll

“In Fish Tales which flippers do you currently have installed”

• Lightning Bolt Flippers(shorter) 32 votes
    68%
  • Standard Fliipers 15 votes
    32%

(47 votes)

#1 11 years ago

After a few weeks of tinkering my FT is up and running.
Boy this thing sure is drain-beast. The shorter lightning flippers don't help either
Got the playfield slope dialed in at 6.5 degrees. Seems that any more or any less incline makes a negative impact on ball flow. Have it set on 3-ball with factory defaults and it took me too many games to mention in order to beat the default High Score of 300,000,000. Have yet to see a Super Jackpot opportunity.
Just curious as to how other FT owners have their outlane posts set. I Have mine set to liberal because of way too many outlane drains.
Also how many of you have switched over to the standard size flippers?

#2 11 years ago

Echo

#3 11 years ago

It was designed with standard flippers. It was a last minute decision from Williams to put on lightning flippers (more $$$ for ops). For this reason, I am sticking with standard flippers.

#4 11 years ago

like mine a lot. I use standard flippers but if I had a set of nos lightning flippers I'd give it a shot. the repro one are kind of crappy.

#5 11 years ago

I found ft to be difficult also. I think you need very good aim for ft. I do not have very good aim, therefore I suck at ft. All I hit is the captive ball and posts. And yea, the lightning flippers don't help.

#6 11 years ago

Lightning flippers on mine, outposts set in the middle position, 6.3 degrees on the playfield, 3 ball with add a ball settings at 100 million.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from GoVols:

Lightning flippers on mine, outposts set in the middle position, 6.3 degrees on the playfield, 3 ball with add a ball settings at 100 million.

Good idea on the add a ball @ 100,000,000

#8 11 years ago

I have both, full size currently installed. Game kicks my ass, but its a riot when you make it sing.

#9 11 years ago

Lightning flippers are the olny way to go on fish tales love the flow on this pin and out of all the pins I have had over the past year prob my Favorite !!!

#10 11 years ago

I have stuck with the lightning flippers, but just this past week, I gave into my wife and adjusted the outlanes to the narrowest setting.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Good idea on the add a ball @ 100,000,000

Yeah, since I like running it with add a ball, I got my roms patched so the "Extra Ball at" text would show up correctly, instead of looking like "Xtra Balle".

#12 11 years ago

Had my FT for over six months and have only just got around to installing the lightning flippers.
Must admit i don't seem to notice that much change apart from making the ramp shots even easier.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Jumbosinbad360:

Must admit i don't seem to notice that much change apart from making the ramp shots even easier.

Why do you think that is?

#14 11 years ago

Lightning flips and yes, my FT kicks my ass on a regular basis even though it's been in my collection the longest.

I don't understand making the game easier than the way it shipped. Why not just play with the glass off?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Lightning flips and yes, my FT kicks my ass on a regular basis even though it's been in my collection the longest.
I don't understand making the game easier than the way it shipped. Why not just play with the glass off?

Like I said, the designers DESIGNED the game with normal flippers. Williams only added the lightning flippers right before it shipped to increase operator revenue. So that's why I stick with normal flippers. That same reason is why I don't add "add a ball" options to a game, I tend to keep all my games at close to factory settings.

You might as well just add lightning flippers to all your games.

#16 11 years ago

Why not just play with the glass off?

Sadly, this is my only option right now. My glass spontaniously shattered and Pinball Life is closed when I have a friend driving though Chicago on Saturday. Anyone near me have an extra sheet?

#17 11 years ago

Define "near"...I live on the southside of Milwaukee (about 3 hours from you I think) and have an extra sheet of standard glass. Not sure you'd want to drive that far but if you did, I could help you out.

Dave

#18 11 years ago

I don't understand playing a game with parts it wasn't designed for.

#19 11 years ago

I don't understand why we continue to have this debate.

#20 11 years ago

I enjoy it with the lightning flippers. Whatever floats your boat.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Define "near"...I live on the southside of Milwaukee (about 3 hours from you I think) and have an extra sheet of standard glass. Not sure you'd want to drive that far but if you did, I could help you out.
Dave

I'd probably consider driving to Madison, but that's about it. I should just not be so cheap and shell out the extra $40 to have it shipped. I just keep thinking, we'll you'll probably be going to Chicago sometime soon anyway, but it hasn't happened yet. I had just been swapping out the glass with my JM, but now with that gone, that's not an option.

Thank you for the offer though.

#23 11 years ago

Hey lpeters82, the friend that's driving through Chicago on Saturday, would he want to head north a bit and pick it up from me on his way? If not, maybe there's a Chicago based pinhead that's got an extra piece of glass that your buddy could pick up for you. If your buddy is going to be over this way anyway, might as well put him to work.

Dave

#24 11 years ago

Just get it from your local glass shop. I got a sheet of standard pinball sized tempered glass for $29 from the place down the street. That was two years ago and it's survived many an airball since. I don't get why people pay big bucks to get it from a pinball vendor and have it shipped. I mean, if you must have invisiglass then spend a fortune, but regular 3/16" tempered glass doesn't cost that much.

#25 11 years ago

I called two glass shops. The first quote was $85 and the second was $49. I might end up going with the $49 quote from the Light Haus in Madison. I also might just wait for awhile, I'm in no big rush and usually get to Chicago a few times each year.

My friend (actually my brother-in-law) will be driving on I-90 through Rockford, then on Hwy 20 and Hwy 11. Pinball life was perfect since it was a few blocks off of I-90. His wife is pregnet and I'd feel guilty about asking them to drive out of their way.

Who knows, maybe someone in Madison, Steven's Point, Wausau or Antigo, WI will read this. I'll be driving through on the 24th and 27th.

#26 11 years ago

I have an extra sheet you can have. It probably has a few scratches but nothing too bad. I just always put new sheets in any game I get.

I work on both the 24th and 27th, but could dip out on the 24th and shoot home to meet you depending on when you are coming through Madison. I am on the far east side (close to 51 and 151). Let me know...

#27 11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll just stick some green rubber on the lightning bolts and learn to love them! I'll definitely keep the outlanes liberal though.

#28 11 years ago

i dont have my FT anymore, but i kept the lightning flippers on it while i owned it.

#29 11 years ago

i spent a ton of my early pinball days playing ft. i hated the gameplay actually, but loved the theme/music/callouts. now i actually love the gameplay 10 years later. the extra ball setting is key, otherwise you can go through all 3 of the mb modes over, and over, and over again. it's all about hitting caster quick when mb starts, then double the jackpot with captive ball, then close her out with the left outer lane orbit. i love the callouts when you get that super jackpot...so worthy! with no new themed pinball this day and age (tired of movies..common stern), it seems i love ft more and more i play it now.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from GoVols:

Sorry for the thread derail but I'm gonna assume you're a Tennessee football fan. Just a hunch. Anyway, I coached against Tyler Bray when he was in Jr High and know his parents and uncle. I think he's going pro this year.

#31 11 years ago

Lightning flippers on mine and outs set liberal. Fun game, my girlfriend's all time fav for music, video mode and callouts.

#32 11 years ago

I play my FT with 1 Lightning and 1 Standard Flipper.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from ThatGuy:

Sorry for the thread derail but I'm gonna assume you're a Tennessee football fan. Just a hunch. Anyway, I coached against Tyler Bray when he was in Jr High and know his parents and uncle. I think he's going pro this year.

How talented was he back then?

Quoted from ScottoKong:

Do you also have the outlanes set differently?

#34 11 years ago

When I bought mine, it had one standard and one lightning. It now has two standard flippers - plays great.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from ScottoKong:

I looked at a BSD like this once. The seller (a dealer who has been in the business for 15 years) did not know there was a size difference between them. He told me he thought the lightning flip was "a Gottlieb flipper or something."

#36 11 years ago

Yeah Fish Tales is hard but that's what makes it fun. I get disappointed when I find one on location and it has regular flippers. Lightning flippers all the way!

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from GoVols:

Yeah, since I like running it with add a ball, I got my roms patched so the "Extra Ball at" text would show up correctly, instead of looking like "Xtra Balle".

Was this 'patch' a one off for yourself or can you get updated ROM/s to sort this issue out?

#38 11 years ago

Zipper flippers, maybe that's why i got my ass handed to me on this table. Fortunately I was down at Reciprocal where I was able to just move onto another! Thanks Jon

#39 11 years ago

I've got the lightning flippers on my fish tales. It's what it came with so that's how I play it. Frankly, I hardly notice it...I'm not that good of a player so longer flippers wouldn't really help much. I also have my side posts open as far as they go.

#40 11 years ago

I still haven't seen a super jackpot. I did get a double cross recently though! That's when you shoot a ball up the port and starboard boat sides at the same time during multiball of course. I wasn't expecting to hear a new callout, a pleasant surprise.

#41 11 years ago

Funny you would mention the double cross as I did that today as well, which I hadn't done before. It took me a few seconds to figure out what I had done. Nice when you discover something new.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Was this 'patch' a one off for yourself or can you get updated ROM/s to sort this issue out?

I did this: http://pinhacks.com/showthread.php?tid=12 as well as applied the wpc led patch. I can PM you a link to the patched rom that I had burnt (my private link, not sure if I'm allowed to post it here). Just let me know.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Funny you would mention the double cross as I did that today as well, which I hadn't done before. It took me a few seconds to figure out what I had done. Nice when you discover something new.

Happened about a week ago,after having pin for a half year.
Double Cross!!!!!

#44 11 years ago

Ditto. FT is the toughest game in my lineup.

#45 11 years ago

One Super Jackpot in 6 years of ownership. Yeah, it's hard! I get Double Cross all the time, never on purpose though. I'm just that bad at hitting the tournament shot that I get the boat ramp instead, haha!

#46 11 years ago

Thanks for a the feedback. I purchased a set of the standard sized flippers and had planned to install them when I rebuilt the flippers this past weekend. Due to the feedback from this thread, I left the lightning bolt flippers installed. Turns out it wasn't as much the flippers that were making the game hard as it was the condition of the flipper hardware itself! Wow! What a difference the rebuild made. The flipper components were roached! The game is still challenging but at least now I have some degree of ball controll and can make the orbit shots. I hit my first Super Jackpot yesterday although I quickly lost the ball right after because I was too busy gawking at the DMD

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

12,500 (OBO)
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-is-hard-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.