(Topic ID: 84409)

Fish Tales: How to fix this? (Overlay, touchups, decals, etc.)

By PhilGreg

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PhilGreg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

109_0733.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Hi,
I have what I think is a pretty usual looking FT playfield. I'm in the US for a while, and while I'm here I'd order some pinball stuff to save on shipping for when I go back.
I asked a colleague to take some pictures of the plastics (the machine is at the office), but you can see fairly well what I'm talking about in those pictures.

Now I'm wondering whether to:
-get the big overlay from MAD (I've seen one here locally, and it looks pretty good, but not enough that I couldn't tell it was there - no clearcoat or playfield protector however... I'm guessing those would hide it pretty well.
-get single decals for the individual inserts
-do the playfield touchups with an airbrush. My girlfriend has a pretty good little compressor and gun and a whole assortment of createx paints. Would the paint still look good on lit inserts?

Whichever solution I choose, I guess I would have to do a full clearcoat to protect it afterwards (and make it blend in better in the case of decals)? This is really the part I'm not equipped (yet) to handle.
Or would any of those solutions hold up pretty well even if unprotected (except for a good wax)?

Thanks
Phil

IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0955.JPG
#2 5 years ago

Send it into hsa for restore. Did on mine and it's beautiful.

#3 5 years ago

I'm sure it is, but I'm looking more for a DIY solution... I guess my main question is: does any of those solutions end with a clearcoat or is there any way around it?

#4 5 years ago

If not using a clear coat, I would think you would need to Mylar above the decals / touch ups.

#5 5 years ago

Mine was not as good as yours, after touch-ups and a clear...

109_0733.JPG
#6 5 years ago

Did you do it yourself?
Yeah I guess I'll just have to get on the clearcoatin' train anyway at some point... I have a beat up Surf Champ playfield, I'll practice on that one and attack the FT when I feel comfortable.

#7 5 years ago

I bought the Mad overlay and wasn't impressed as there was a poor color match - especially with the red. I personally feel the best solution is to paint touch-up and re-coat the clear.

#8 5 years ago

The individual fish decals worked for me. I've been playing on them without clear or mylar for 3 years with no decal wear. I will have a CPR field when they come out.

#9 5 years ago

Alright, thanks for the info.
I guess if you want to apply any decals, you have to remove whatever is on the insert and sand it smooth before you do it, right?
So that means no going back...

If only the fish on mine were used up I guess just doing the fish would have been a good middle ground, but since all my inserts have some kind of wear I guess it's overlay or touch up, and in both cases probably do a clearcoat afterwards.
It seems to me like the hard part is the clearcoat so I might as well do it right somewhere down the line.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside